Spec me an LED Torch

with runtime tests i am guessing it is ok to switch torch of and stop the clock to allow cool down and take occasional volt readings?

any advice appreciated as I think the way mrk and myself were doing our test with bc40 was not correct (running torch until it switched off either by cell protection or by torch circuitry :) )

yes it's okay, but try to minimise the time, cells have "voltage bounce" where their voltage will increase when the load is removed which will somewhat extend the runtime duration

Hmm, for £10 that Tesco torch seems a bit low quality. Plastic lens and what looks like very poor threads. Especially as a C8 can be had for £6.

But then again its AA and they seem to cost a lot more than the unconventional 18650 powered torches.

Hmm, for £10 that Tesco torch seems a bit low quality. Plastic lens and what looks like very poor threads. Especially as a C8 can be had for £6.

But then again its AA and they seem to cost a lot more than the unconventional 18650 powered torches.

It's really not that bad. the regulation circuitry seems to be very good.
Don't forget, all maglites have plastic lenses, and many SureFire lights do too.

XR-E - the "oldest" emitter, still respectable output with the benefit of excellent throw due to the very small emissive surface and integral reflector. the "least" efficient LED still in use
XP-E - "Modern" equivalent of the XR-E, cheaper due a considerably smaller package, can throw just as well but requires a different reflector to do so. now capable of better efficiency than the XR-E
XP-G - upgrade of the XP-E and XR-E, with a larger die (the light-emitting bit) is capable of greater efficiency and substantially improved total light output. moderately less throw due to the larger emitter.
XM-L - biggest single-die LED that cree make with a 2mm x 2mm emitter-surface. capable of double the current of an XP-G, but at four times the Die-size, has substantially less throw. Currently the most efficient LED in use.
SST-50 - this is an LED manufactured not by Cree but by Luminus Devices. capable of more current than the XM-L but less efficient by about 15%
SST-90 - Another Luminus LED, even bigger than the SST-50, capable of running at more than 5A iirc. still less efficient but brighter overall than the XM-L

Excellent, thanks for this!

I think I'm going to buy the XP-G version then compare it to an XM-L C8. Then swap and chop between helmet and handlebars or flogging one of them as I see fit.

The replacement reflector came today from ant-supplies and it seems better than the smooth reflectors that come from Manafont, SolarForce and /generic/.

It's got a section right inside that reflects forward like on the C8 reflector so looks like I should be able to get more throw and a tighter centre beam from this one, perfect :D

l2_ant-supplies_reflector2.jpg

l2_ant-supplies_reflector5.jpg

I also didn't realise the XM-L T6 I got there is an UltraFire, was from Manafont IIRC.

Oh and a pic of how webbed up the old reflector was, I used the finest microfibre glass cleaning cloth, for reference!

l2_ant-supplies_reflector3.jpg

Spec my friend a torch!

Budget is £50, but the caveat is, it needs to be able to bought in a brick and mortar shop by Monday, London area so any shops that may be here.

Help greatly appreciated

Ran the multi-meter over the batteries I had salvaged from some dead laptops. Out of the 13 I have four are below 3v. The rest are either around 3.8 - 4.1 so thats good news on the battery front.

Really need my charger to arrive now so I can get out on the trails in the dark! \o/ :D

need some advice on another torch
i have a ssc p7 spiderfire torch for my bike and want to add a helmet mounted torch - 18650 based if possible

any recommendations for something fairly thin with decent helmet mount? (i don't want it permanently attached to the helmet)

cheers

Last edited:
need some advice on another torch
i have a ssc p7 spiderfire torch for my bike and want to add a helmet mounted torch - 18650 based if possible

any recommendations for something fairly thin with decent helmet mount? (i don't want it permanently attached to the helmet

cheers

Get a TwoFish LockBlock for the helmet (and handlebar at that) mount. I have a couple and they're great. Fits my C8 UltraFire nice and snug and is quick to remove if the need arises.

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/lockblock.html

Get a TwoFish LockBlock for the helmet (and handlebar at that) mount. I have a couple and they're great. Fits my C8 UltraFire nice and snug and is quick to remove if the need arises.

http://www.fenixtorch.co.uk/led_torches/lockblock.html

i have a twofish lockblock for the handlebars already and am not that impessed with it. it keeps wriggling loose during bumpy bits. am looking for a more flush helmet mount if possible

That appears to be using an XR-E Q5 emitter rather than the XM-L. The annotations on the pictures are rather humorous too :D

It'll probably work fine though.

an XM-L light with a OP reflector will be nice and floody.
The WF-501 body as linked in your post is pretty low-rung as far as quality is concerned.

a Solarforce host/body is a better choice. :)

Back
Top Bottom