Spec me an LED Torch

Associate
Needing a new torch for work. A little background I'm a marine engineer, and use a torch for checking everything from pumps to bilges to engines to reading small plates in dark corners amd hunting for small screws or nuts that have fallen into awkward places.

Currently have a coast hp7 that I've had for best part of 10years, it once survived 2days in a fuel tank and still worked. Problem with it is its started to lose brightness/power and it chews through batteries. Please spec me a torch that is both powerful and waterproof, can take a beating and preferably rechargeable. £100 top budget.

Associate
Love my Olights - so far build quality, robustness and functionality is second to none - the only issue I've seen/had with them is the strap on many models seems to be joined to the case with a thin thread which breaks pretty easily - fortunately changed mine when I saw it start to wear quickly but seen a couple of people lose their fancy new Olights when that parted ways unexpectedly. Which is something to watch out for with them.

Thanks for the heads up. I did try and use my Warrior Mini 2 with the lanyard , but it got in the way and I have just used the carabiner that came with it. I have gone through a few brands over the years (EacTac, Nitecore, ThruNite, Lumintop) but I was lured to the Olight by their online store. I have a Olight S Mini that I brought a few years ago.

Soldato
Thanks. That looks a good choice. I particularly like the idea of turbo running for 130mins.

I'm not too keen on the micro USB though, and I do really like the Astrolux features like candle/bike/thunder mode.

Which of the Astrolux range would you recommend?

The Thrunite TC20 v2 is USB-C although not sure who stocks them.

Of all the torches we have in the house (A few O-Lights etc), the TC20 is my favourite just because of it's simplicity and the one I grab for general use..

I've not got the EA01S, but checking the user manual, it looks like some of the my other torches, too many modes which look good on paper until you have to 'remember' how to get in / out each mode cleanly and it can become a faff (but happy to be proven wrong from owners!)

The one thing I'd like is a TC20 with a magnetic charging base (ALA O-Light) as those are much more convenient.

Soldato
Needing a new torch for work. A little background I'm a marine engineer, and use a torch for checking everything from pumps to bilges to engines to reading small plates in dark corners amd hunting for small screws or nuts that have fallen into awkward places.

Currently have a coast hp7 that I've had for best part of 10years, it once survived 2days in a fuel tank and still worked. Problem with it is its started to lose brightness/power and it chews through batteries. Please spec me a torch that is both powerful and waterproof, can take a beating and preferably rechargeable. £100 top budget.

I've owned dozens of torches over the years but the two that I won't part with are my Zebralights, it's not rechargeable but this will fit what you are looking for.

http://www.adventurestars.co.uk/Shop/Torches/Zebralight/12994-Zebralight-SC600-Mk-III.html

Underboss
I keep needing a headtorch on the odd occasion

Recommend me a head torch for like working inside a PC case or underneath a bonnet of a car

I won't use it all that often, so not going to spend an awful lot. No idea if I should buy one that takes AA batteries or a rechargeable battery pack thing.

I've been looking at ledlensers ..

Associate
I personally have a Olight Perun Mini as the headtorch. I use it for the exact purposes and being hands free when going to the loft.

They can be had for around £40 if you look around. It is a rechargeable type with upto 1000 Lumens of light on turbo, but 250 lumen on high is more than useful.

Soldato
I personally have a Olight Perun Mini as the headtorch. I use it for the exact purposes and being hands free when going to the loft.
I have one too and love it to bits, BUT..... while the pivot mount with Velcro™ patch is a great idea, the headband supplied is absolute junk so poorly thought out that it's just not worth it as a head torch... and you have to keep popping the pocket clip off if you want to use another headband rig.

A better bet, IMHO, for something that's primarily a headtorch is the Fenix HM50R v2.0 - Same 90º idea, but easily removable from the very comfy headband to use as a clip-on, can rotate within the clip as well. It also uses standard 16340 cells rather than Olight's proprietary ones, and uses a standard USB-C charging cable instead of (again) Olight's proprietary magnetic one. It also has red light features, the CRI is warmer than Olight's harsh white, and the beam spread seems better in both close-up work and when walking around outside.
The only two let-downs I find are the UI, which is the reverse* of Olight's, and the lack of a magnetic tailcap which turns out to be surprisingly useful.

*Olight - Tap on, tap off, hold to cycle brightness levels
Fenix - Hold to turn on/off, tap to cycle brightness levels... and in this case, double tap to switch to red light modes.

Associate
I have one too and love it to bits, BUT..... while the pivot mount with Velcro™ patch is a great idea, the headband supplied is absolute junk so poorly thought out that it's just not worth it as a head torch... and you have to keep popping the pocket clip off if you want to use another headband rig.

A better bet, IMHO, for something that's primarily a headtorch is the Fenix HM50R v2.0 - Same 90º idea, but easily removable from the very comfy headband to use as a clip-on, can rotate within the clip as well. It also uses standard 16340 cells rather than Olight's proprietary ones, and uses a standard USB-C charging cable instead of (again) Olight's proprietary magnetic one. It also has red light features, the CRI is warmer than Olight's harsh white, and the beam spread seems better in both close-up work and when walking around outside.
The only two let-downs I find are the UI, which is the reverse* of Olight's, and the lack of a magnetic tailcap which turns out to be surprisingly useful.

*Olight - Tap on, tap off, hold to cycle brightness levels
Fenix - Hold to turn on/off, tap to cycle brightness levels... and in this case, double tap to switch to red light modes.

yeah the supplied headband with the Perun mini is a bit rubbish , hence I have on order the previous version headband that doesn’t use Velcro.

Soldato
yeah the supplied headband with the Perun mini is a bit rubbish , hence I have on order the previous version headband that doesn’t use Velcro.
I have that one too - It's OK, but the Perun isn't as good a fit as others, like the Nova and the Fenix LD15R if you rip the clip off.
Olight really went more toward the tacticool baseball cap crowd with this one.

ok thanks both
i will only use it as a head torch, i already keep a torch in the car and i have 2 indoors now
Well, there are plenty of dedicated head torches around, from the high end and enthusiast brands like Fenix, Nitecore, Klarus, AceBeam, Streamlight, Jetbeam, Olight and other such manufacturers. Petzl and Black Diamond are popular brands for outdoor-activity people, as they make lots of small, lightweight head torches and are often found at camping shops for low, low prices.

For example:
http://flashlights.parametrek.com/index.html?type=only,headlamp&price=20,70

It all comes down to what features you might want.... any thoughts?

However, a head torch can only ever be used as a head torch. I settled on the Fenix because it's a head torch that can also do other things if ever I need it. I also use it for work, because it's that good.
That and the Olight one are my two go-to torches for just about everything... and I say that with about 20 torches indoors, as well as a couple in the car! :D

Associate
Just had a quick look
Think I'll pass on those headtorches, I want an all in one solution

I see jd sports are doing the ledlenser MH7 on sale for £45 (these are around £70 mark)

I think I might get that one

Amazon are doing the Olight Array 2S for £60 at the moment. It’s a lot less bulky the MH7 that you are suggesting. The 2S is usually £90.

Back
Top Bottom