Speed Cameras

Associate
I got caught the other day doing 46mph in a 40mph zone.

I was under the impression that they only prosecuted people who travel faster than 10% plus 2mph than the spped limit.

This equates to speeds of 47mph and over.

Should I just pay the fine or should I point this out to the cheif constable?

Permabanned
mortuzac said:
Should I just pay the fine or should I point this out to the cheif constable?

You should just pay the fine. You got caught speeding so take it on the chin like a man instead of trying to worm your way out of it.

Pho

Pho

Soldato
The 10% + 2 rule of only advisory, I'm pretty sure their free to set it to trigger at 40.1 if they feel like it.

edit: beat :(

Don
what you are referring to is the ACPO recommendation which is 10% + 2

which is 46 btw :p

even so you can be prosecuted for 41

you have a chance that by pleading guilty you may be offered a speed awareness course instead of penalty points

Soldato
You can try and get out of it on a technacality (sp) or something but if you dont suceed will end up with a worse punishment. Speed is closer to 50 than 40 so best off just taking the points and the fine :) imho anyway.

Permabanned
BenjiSayers said:
You can try and get out of it on a technacality

Unlikely, it's not like he was caught doing 41 and he could say that his speedo said 39-40.

46 is enough over the limit to warrant a speeding ticket.

I was caught doing 36 in a 30 and although it's annoying, it is still my own fault and actions and I took the points and the fine. So should he. :)

Associate
OP
If 10% + 2mph is the limit, then prosecution should start above this, ie 47 plus.

I think I'll pay the fine....., but i've already sent a letter.

Do you think that I might get into worse trouble?

Bes

Bes

Soldato
I think you should stop trying to be a weasel and take it like a man. Your speedo is out anyway so you were probably doing 50 indicated, so you have no excuse at all.

Don
mortuzac said:
If 10% + 2mph is the limit, then prosecution should start above this, ie 47 plus.

I think I'll pay the fine....., but i've already sent a letter.

Do you think that I might get into worse trouble?

you won't get into trouble but ifthe letter shows an "attitude" you may well blow any chance of "getting off" with a speed awareness course

Soldato
I did only mean try and get off on a techcanility, people are constantly getting away with stupid speeds for stupid errors on the police's part. I'd just take the points etc though like i said before :)

Associate
OP
I will take it like a man........ but don't you feel that these fine are petty......

I know that speed kills etc etc, but these speed limits are too low, especially since cars these days can slow down a lot quicker than when the limits were introduced. ( i think 30 or 20 in certain places are essential though... to reduce deaths etc)

btw I was driving along a dual carriage way with NO houses around. It was the country side.

Shouldn't they be concentrating on the young boy racers travelling at 100+ mph, instead of someone doing a few mph over the limit???

Caporegime
go on the speed choice course and you will see that from their own figures that even a small drop in speed makes a lot of difference. its actually a very informative course.

as petty as they may seem, they are the current level set by law.

Don
mortuzac said:
So how exactly do I get onto this course?

they may choose to offer it you , if you do you pay a course fee ( usually the same as the fine - £60 ) , you go along and be lectured for a few hours the you go home with a clean licence

Associate
mortuzac said:
I will take it like a man........ but don't you feel that these fine are petty......

I know that speed kills etc etc, but these speed limits are too low, especially since cars these days can slow down a lot quicker than when the limits were introduced. ( i think 30 or 20 in certain places are essential though... to reduce deaths etc)

btw I was driving along a dual carriage way with NO houses around. It was the country side.

Shouldn't they be concentrating on the young boy racers travelling at 100+ mph, instead of someone doing a few mph over the limit???

Absolutely right, Cars are better these days, they have had some wonderful advances in engineering over the last 100 years or so that they have been around. Humans however have not evolved at the same rapid rate, hence why limits are about the same. Also not every car is well maintained or technically advanced etc.

And speed does not kill, Lack of driver education is what kills.

As for the retard boy racers, they are a self infliced endangered species.......

Back
Top Bottom