Speeding on a bicycle

Associate
I have been speed gunned down hill by the police, i was also in in the areo tuck position :)....they stopped me :(

And he asked 'do youknow how fast you were going?' to which i foolishly replied 'it isnt obligatory for me to have a calibrated speedo attached to my bike' there in followed a long lecture about bikes and safety equipment from a fat knacker copper to a resaonable cyclist.
I was late for work :(

Soldato
I think there is a standard cycling fixed penalty of something like £30. This I suppose would cover things like no lights at night and speeding etc. I've not been caught, but a friend of mine was stopped by police and warned about excessive speed as he freewheeled down Putney Hill.

Associate
48mph is the highest i've managed going down a long hill. I was aiming to break 50 but i could'nt see anything as my eyes were watering so much. And boy was the bike very unstable at that speed.

Permabanned
Legally? No. Speeding offences under the Road Traffic Act 1988 (as ammended) concern motorised vehicles only. (I.E cars).

However s28 - 32 of the same Act concern cycling offences and cycle racing and include reckless cycling (which would include speeding) and cycling while under the influence.

Man of Honour
Quite funny that I think Lance Armstrongs average speed is something like 23 mph.
You all need your speedos checking out methinks.
My mate is not far off Olympic standards and he clocks an average of 18 mph on his MTB (definitely not above 20 mph).

I reckon Angel has got it right with his mate going downhill as fast as he could and the copper shouting 28 mph.

DiG

DiG

Associate
Sounds about right, his AVERAGE speed is that, not his MAX, I don't think any of us are talking about sustaining these speeds!

Soldato
Lance also needs to be able to go a very long way (insert TT course or what ever he does.) I am sure he could hit well over 30 on his bike cycling to town centre past 3 speed camera's. ;)

Soldato
AMD643000+H said:
Im a cyclist.. and I get complained at if I go on the road.. and if im on the pavement.. So I mainly stick to the pavement as people vs bike I win. but bike vs car i dont :( hehe

And for those of you who dont move... I dont budge either ;)

Of course you dont budge.. :rofl: :rofl:

Im sure you just plough into whoevers there...Have you ever hit someone while riding on your bike? You dont 'win'...You come flying off, possibly fall into the road...at best scrape some of your skin off on the path...

Then, depending on who you hit...Possibly get your bike smashed up and your head kicked in....AND the police called on you.

Man of Honour
You'd have more chance of winning the lottery than getting done for speeding on a bicycle. Getting done for riding without due care and attention or other things as Acid pointed out is another story all together.

Soldato
CF93 said:
Yes you can.

I remember sitting at the front of the queue at traffic lights and a cyclist went through when they were still red. The police car next to me put on the blues and twos and pulled the guy over. I stopped to watch and saw him get a ticket. lol

(edit - can't spell!)

I had something similar, A cyclist jumped a red light, and I nearly hit him... I beeped my horn at him (just a quick'un), and a police car pulled me over for "worrying the cyclist".

When I said that he'd jumped a red light and rode out right in front of me as I was turning right (he wasn't there when I'd started), they said they'd seen it but it was harder to stop the cyclist than me as he'd disappeared off....

I didn't get a ticket for improper use of the horn, but they did tell me off for beeping.

Soldato
dmpoole said:
My mate is not far off Olympic standards and he clocks an average of 18 mph on his MTB (definitely not above 20 mph).

I reckon Angel has got it right with his mate going downhill as fast as he could and the copper shouting 28 mph.

I averaged 22-23mph on a 30 mile ride last week on my hybrid road/MTB, would definitely be more on a proper road bike. I haven't really tried my top speed but theres a smallish hill on the way to work which I can get 40+mph going down.

Man of Honour
CF93 said:
What AcidHell2 said. :)

If there's one thing that really gets on my nerves its cyclists on the pavement. So I deliberately NEVER move out of the way....

Good id rarther be able to move round you than have the people who seem to move into my way when they are trying to get out of it and ive set off a speed camera before while cycling on the road gave it a nice cheeky smile and never heard anything more

Soldato
eidolon said:
I averaged 22-23mph on a 30 mile ride last week on my hybrid road/MTB, would definitely be more on a proper road bike. I haven't really tried my top speed but theres a smallish hill on the way to work which I can get 40+mph going down.
Respect is due to eidolon, I struggle to hit 20 on the flat :o The top 7 gears seem much closer (therefore lower) to the middle 7 on my new bike which doesn't help.

I was doing high 20's down a steep hill yesterday and made the mistake of hanging on the back brakes to keep my speed at that... anyone interested in some partially melted rear pads :p

Back
Top Bottom