SPEEDING UK

Associate
Ive come on here to ask for some advice about an incident my “friend” was involved in recently. He was travelling down a 30 MPH road going around 45-55 (not to sure) as he was driving along he drove past a Puegot 308 Police Car, obviously when he saw the car he slowed down to the speed limit. The coppers had pulled out and obvisouly at this point he assumed he would be getting pulled over and given 3-6 points+ a fine for example. However he just continued to tail him for around 3-5 mins without pulling him over ( the road was straight and was very safe to pull someone over before someone mentions this). I assume he was checking MOT,Tax and insurance. However i was wondering if my “friend” could be sent a NIP for this, aswell as why didnt the copper pull my friend over.

Man of Honour
As per my recent post, I might be wrong but:

Unless they have calibrated equipment onboard IIRC they have to be able to prove they followed you for a minimum distance - something like 1/8th of a mile. As you've admitted to speeding through I suggest you present yourself to your nearest police station for a good... oh wait they've closed them all.

Man of Honour
Soldato
He will be fine. You can do a follow check for speed but the speedometer of the police vehicle needs to be calibrated and it's normally only traffic cars that are.
Secondly you have to follow at a set distance , no gaining or falling back from the vehicles you are following.
I'm ex.job of 30yrs. 17yrs on traffic

Last edited:
Associate
OP
He will be fine. You can do a follow check for speed but the speedometer of the police vehicle needs to be calibrated and it's normally only traffic cars that are.
Secondly you have to follow at a set distance , no gaining or falling back from the vehicles you are following.
I'm ex.job or 30yrs
i see thanks for the response. when he was being followed he had told me the copper maintained distance mostly however was occasions where it seemed he was falling back. it was a puegot 308 i believe so not a traffic car? Thanks for good response tho im sure he will be happy to know this.

Soldato
Just trying to help a friend with ease of mind, not that i am justifying him speeding, its obviously wrong and could end out killing someone. However he knows and has learnt, really just here to help him get some answers to the possibilitys
Why though? I don’t get why you’d go to the trouble of making an account to ask a question for a friend. If it was you driving and asking for yourself I’d understand that but asking for a friend doesn’t make sense.

P.s. I just being nosey really :p

Back
Top Bottom