Spiced Rum Recommendation

Soldato
Finished off my bottle of Bacardi Carta Fuego earlier today. A very, very sweet rum best taken neat or on the rocks. Coke will just make it even sweeter. I wouldn't really recommend this to anyone as it is a very young rum and Bacardi seem to be trying all sorts to get into the market. I've got a bottle of Red Leg Spiced to try next - I've heard a lot of good words about this gingery bugger so I hope to try it over the weekend.

Soldato
Currently trying to find another nice bottle to grab. Got a few I’m trying to decide between;

Goslings Black Seal, mount gay black barrel, diplomatico Foursquare or Bombo 40

Tbh I’m still yet to try rumbullion so that needs to be added to the list as well I guess.

When I was in a double tree the other money they had a fair selection of rums, what I remeber trying was the el darado 3 and 7 I believe. Obv with age the 7 was much nicer but I couldn’t complain at the three either!

Soldato
Well I've tucked into a bottle of Red Leg. With most of the bottle downed whilst in good company I have mixed feelings whilst drinking it neat.

It's scent is of a strong vanilla and it goes down smoothly with the vanilla overpowering the ginja. My complaint is that the aftertaste is very harsh and chemical like. It feels wrong.

The rest of the folks are enjoying it but I feel a bit disappointed given the online reviews. Don't get me wrong it is a nice sipping rum for sure overall.

A Jamaican buddy of mine has urged me to try some chairman's reserve St Lucian spiced next. Apparently that is of excellent quality all round. I'm hoping to grab some good drinks as Black Friday approaches.

Last edited:
Soldato
Never heard of that one before Feek! At the moment, I've got my eyes on any bottles of Rumbullion, and Chairmans Reserve. Trying to build up an Xmas/New Years collection!

Waitrose over here have Red Leg going for £17, and Kraken for £19. Sadly Chairmans is still £22.

Soldato
Guys, there's a lot of good rum on sale at Amazon today.
Red Leg Spiced £15 (most supermarkets doing this for £17 cheapest I've found)
Kraken £25 for 1L
Black Magic Spiced Rum £20
-----
Mount Gay XO (not spiced) 70cl £29.99

Got XO in my basket so far.

Commissario
I don't understand the love for Krakan, the only thing it has going for it is the shape of the bottle. I have one, I gave it to Mrs. Feek who will flood anything with a mixer and drink it. I can't stand it.

Black Magic Spiced is also pretty poor but I quite like RedLeg and that's a decent price so I've just ordered a bottle. Thanks for the heads up.

Commissario
Pirate's Grog was one of the first bottles I bought and at the same time I bought a bottle of their black ei8ht coffee rum for Mrs. Feek. Both were excellent, that's a good choice.

Soldato
Kraken seems to be the rum equivalent of Southern Comfort/JD's for most folks it seems. I can't seem to really enjoy it neat, after a few sips I've had enough. Going to pop into Waitrose at the end of the day to grab some Chairmans Reserve Spiced. It was £21.99 last time I looked at it and I can't seem to find it cheap anywhere.

I am gifting a close friend of mine a bottle of Mount Gay XO that is being delivered any day now for Christmas. Whilst it isn't spiced, I wonder how that will go down (going to egg him to open it asap!).

Back
Top Bottom