Spiced Rum Recommendation

Soldato
Right I'll say this - Chairmans Reserve Spiced is absolutely gorgeous neat! Already downed half the bottle! Even my father loves it and he's very fussy about rum. You can really make out the individual flavours and they don't overwhelm each other.

Last edited:
Soldato
Currently still trying to make it through my bottle of Dark Matter, its nice for one glass with plenty of ice but a bit too hot for me as i prefer a bit of a sweeter taste. Any recommendation in the circa 30 a bottle range anyone would recommend?

My mother got me a bottle of Ron Zacapa 23 On her way back from Oz but won't be visiting her for a while so sadly that'll have to wait. Any tried it what do you think?

Soldato
The Ron Zacapa is lovely.

Are you wanting spiced or non spiced suggestions?

I’m not a big fan of spiced rum but someone bought be a bottle of Oakheart which is less spiced and pretty drinkable.

For that amount though I’d spend a little extra and go Diplomatico exclusiva (it's non spiced though)

Last edited:
Associate
Most 'interesting' spiced rum I've tried is Cloven Hoof.
Flavour is mostly of cloves, hence the name. Only tried it neat, but might be quite nice with a splash of coke.

There is also an over proof %66.6 version that I haven't yet tried.

Soldato
The Ron Zacapa is lovely.

Are you wanting spiced or non spiced suggestions?

I’m not a big fan of spiced rum but someone bought be a bottle of Oakheart which is less spiced and pretty drinkable.

For that amount though I’d spend a little extra and go Diplomatico exclusiva (it's non spiced though)

More the spiced root tbh but as from the ones ive tried in the past nothing to clove heavy and more towards the sweeter side. For ones like the dark matter i have now i need to let the ice melt a little bit first to tone down the kick of the spice.

Yeah diplomatico has been on my radar for a while now, that, six spice and grog.

How would you describe the Zacapa? Im quiet excited and it was a nice surprise from my mother.

Most 'interesting' spiced rum I've tried is Cloven Hoof.
Flavour is mostly of cloves, hence the name. Only tried it neat, but might be quite nice with a splash of coke.

There is also an over proof %66.6 version that I haven't yet tried.

Yeah as my issue with the bottle of Dark Matter now Im assuming from the name its a bit heavy on the clove which isn't my favorite when it comes to predominant spices.

Soldato
Cloven Hoof is a lot better than Dark Matter. Both have been banned from our yearly rum tasting though as alcoholic liquid cloves are not good.
A lot of our rum at home is from Foursquare. The most recent release 'Dominus' is very good.

Soldato
Cloven Hoof is a lot better than Dark Matter. Both have been banned from our yearly rum tasting though as alcoholic liquid cloves are not good.
A lot of our rum at home is from Foursquare. The most recent release 'Dominus' is very good.

How comes the banned it? Whats wrong with liquid cloves?

Yeah foursquare do make some nice rum tried it in the past.

Soldato
Ive got to say the Ron Zacapa is lovely. Not overly heavy on vanilla like most readily available rum which is nice. Probably the favourite of rums I’ve had but then the price is what you get I suppose.

Would definitely recommend to anyone interested in some rum.

Soldato
My father just returned from San Francisco with this lot :o :D Yesssss! The spiced rum as with the Uk was an absolute nightmare to obtain over there but he convinced a shopkeeper to order some for just $16! The only place I've seen it on sale over here is Waitrose and its a perma £21.99 as it never goes on sale.

F6eB4UA.jpg

Associate
Never heard of that one before Feek! At the moment, I've got my eyes on any bottles of Rumbullion, and Chairmans Reserve. Trying to build up an Xmas/New Years collection!

Waitrose over here have Red Leg going for £17, and Kraken for £19. Sadly Chairmans is still £22.

I was quite surprised no one else had posted Chairman's Reserve earlier on, although I only knew about it from holidaying on St Lucia. You can always buy it on Amazon too, so check on Prime day etc for deals on it.
They also do a special "forgotten casks" edition but no idea if it worth the extra money, the spiced version makes a mean rum refashioned though!

Soldato
I've seen the Forgotten Casks somewhere here around London but it was such a silly price that I didn't even give it a second glance. I've never had the non-spiced chairman's reserve so I hope to sample that maybe this weekend with my father! Can't wait.

Commissario
Kraken is really good
No, no it isn't! :)
I've still got a half a bottle of dark matter sat here from last christmas, every so often I think "ah I'll give it another try" have one sip and regret it every time :p just too clove heavy.
I think of it as Christmas in a bottle. It goes well with Fever tree cola but as has been said in here, I can't drink a lot of it.

Back
Top Bottom