Spiced Rum Recommendation

Soldato
I think of it as Christmas in a bottle. It goes well with Fever tree cola but as has been said in here, I can't drink a lot of it.

Even so I can think of a lot of other much nicer Christmassy drinks, I’ve only tried it straight or with fentimans cola whilst it isn’t dreadful it is a one glass maximum kind of drink.

Associate
No, no it isn't! :)

Drink most of a bottle and confirm please
My father just returned from San Francisco with this lot :o :D Yesssss! The spiced rum as with the Uk was an absolute nightmare to obtain over there but he convinced a shopkeeper to order some for just $16! The only place I've seen it on sale over here is Waitrose and its a perma £21.99 as it never goes on sale.

Made me look it up now, on holiday just now so will see if I can find it here

Man of Honour
I went into Asda the other day and was really surprised at how many spiced rums they had in stock - rum really seems to be on the up.

I picked up a bottle of Dead Man's Fingers. To be honest I'm a little bit disappointed, it didn't really have anything about it to make it stand out, flavour wise. Vanilla heavy like a lot of spiced rums lately. I would have been better off with a bottle of Captain Morgan for just sloshing with Pepsi Max.
They had a few others on special offer so I might see what I fancy next time.

hux

hux

Soldato
Been into rum for a while now, so have an idea of what's decent best so far being Appletons 12 year, it goes down so smoothly.
Got some Foursquare rum sixty six coming, it'll take me a lot of restraint to not crack it open before Christmas.

Soldato
I cringe everytime I visit supermarkets and see Cap Morgans and Sailor Jerry in droves occupying the shelves over the far better stuff. Asda do seem to have a better stock of Spiced Rums than most. I think I've got enough to get me through the festive period for sure having just been gifted 2 bottles of Appletons recently as a b.day present to add to Chairmans Reserve pile I have!

hux

hux

Soldato
I tried the Plantation 5 year in Asda, nice but not for me it lacked body and wasn't smooth enough.
Still better than most of what's on the shelves.

Any suggestions for a real good full bodied rum, I find myself leaning towards the demerara rums.

hux

hux

Soldato
Well now trying the Foursquare rum sixty six and I can only say good things.

I'm tasting chocolate, caramel, molasses with a hint of vanilla.
A bit of spice with a bit of dryness.
Very smooth and full bodied, doesn't taste like a typical rum but in a good way.
No aftertaste or hints of anything that shouldn't be there.

Associate
Took a bottle of Jack Ratt Lugger Spiced Rum ( Waitrose £38) to rum tasting evening and it went down well. Tastes like xmas and very easy to drink.

Soldato
Have an absolute craving for spiced rum lately after trying some at a party a few months ago...first time i'd had it since Barbados in 2001. I have absolutely no idea what to get and what i'd like so have ordered 6 samples from the higher rated rums over at Masters Of Malt.

Have the following arriving tomorrow, some from suggestions in this thread and others based on general reviews online:

Black Magic Spiced Rum
Chairman's Reserve Spiced Rum
Jack Ratt Lugger Rum
Plantation Pineapple Stiggins' Fancy
RedLeg Spiced Rum
Rumbullion!

Looking to spend anything from £15 up to £50 at a push.

Associate
Got a bottle of Alnwick spiced Rum recently, and wouldn't buy again. Found it quite harsh, one to have with a mixer, I think.

Have an absolute craving for spiced rum lately after trying some at a party a few months ago
...Snip...
Looking to spend anything from £15 up to £50 at a push.

Of the ones I've tried:
Chairmans Reserve is my current favourite, and is £21 in Waitrose at the moment, nice orange notes.
Rumbullion is always good, strong vanilla flavour.
Plantation Pineapple Rum I had once after a meal and wasn't impressed - far, far too sweet on it's own but might work in a cocktail or with a mixer, or maybe a big dash of bitters to calm it down.

Buying the sample bottles, or finding a pub with a good rum selection is an excellent start - once you have an idea of what you like the knowledgable folks on here can probably make some further recommendations

Can't type for toffee
Don
I went into Asda the other day and was really surprised at how many spiced rums they had in stock - rum really seems to be on the up.

I picked up a bottle of Dead Man's Fingers. To be honest I'm a little bit disappointed, it didn't really have anything about it to make it stand out, flavour wise. Vanilla heavy like a lot of spiced rums lately. I would have been better off with a bottle of Captain Morgan for just sloshing with Pepsi Max.
They had a few others on special offer so I might see what I fancy next time.

I found the same with DMF, way too much vanilla

I see Asda have started selling Js spiced and Spiced cherry, gonna give the cherry a shot I think

Soldato
Took a bottle of Chairman's Spiced to a friend's early Xmas party last week. I was absolutely plastered that night but noticed the bottle empty literally before midnight. There's only two folks at the party who drink rum and one is yours truly, the other is a mate from Ghana who gets hammered easily - he was pretty merry by the nights end so I doubt it was him. Still trying to find out what happened to it all!

On another note I am looking forward to trying out the Chairman's White Rum (non spiced) that my father brought back from the States (pics a good few posts back) as well as the Spiced version I'm so used to now.

Associate
Got some Pineapple Grenade. It has a very pineapple opening but with a very salted caramel aftertaste. It smells of pineapple and toffee ice cream (not a surprise considering the ingredients) and is a whopping 65%. With full fat coke it's absolutely marvellous and far, far too easy to drink.

2dieurr.jpg

Soldato
Bump!

Anyone found any good bargains out there? I confess I've been busy with work and haven't been checking the supermarkets of late for any good price drops. I'm still hoping to grab some Chairmans Reserve at some point. Think it maybe late to snag a bottle of Rumbullion off Amazon but we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom