SPL Season 2009/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
OP
Our win was more down to how bad Aberdeen were than anything else, but I saw enough to be hopeful for the rest of the season. New signings all did very well, Fox especially, Boruc is carrying some timber!

Associate
OP
Aberdeen Football Club today lost out in the chase to sign ex-Cardiff City goalkeeper, Michael Oakes.

Oakes, 35, has been without a club since he was released by the Welsh club at the end of the 2008 season.

Although there were no other clubs interested in signing the veteran goalkeeper, it's believed that Oakes was eligible for government assistance, and decided to remain unemployed rather than sign for the Dons.

Aberdeen manager, Mark McGhee, remained philosophical, despite losing out on his third target in as many weeks.

"Obviously it was disappointing to lose out on Oakes," said McGhee, "But it's hard for a club like Aberdeen to compete with the sort of wages that unemployment offers. Personally I think it's crazy money, and we offered Oakes what I think was a very competitive package. Unfortunately the lure of the English pound, and a steady diet of rejected supermarket produce is something we can't realistically compete with."

The failure to sign Oakes comes hard on the heels of two other failures in the transfer market for Aberdeen.

Previously the Dons had failed to sign ex-Crew Alexander player Ryan Lynch, who found work as the guy who collects the baskets at Asda shortly after Aberdeen offered him a contract.

This was followed by the failure to sign experienced striker Michael Branch. The Dons were believed to be on the verge of signing the ex Halifax forward until he gassed himself in his own garage in the early hours of Wednesday morning. The day he was to be unveiled in front of the Evening Express photographer at Pittodrie.

"Obviously it's difficult for us to compete with the opportunity to kill yourself rather than sign for Aberdeen Football Club." Said McGhee. "But we still have options. Still have irons in the fire. The money's there to strengthen the team, assuming by 'strengthen' we actually mean 'not strengthen'."

The Dons boss hinted that he was not finished in the transfer market this year, saying, "There's a couple of lads we've been running the rule over for the last 6 years, and we're probably about ready to make a move for them.. One of them is a Scottish international, so we may have problems putting together a financial package that he finds attractive."

According to some sources the international in question is Denis Law, a prolific striker who has been without a club since retiring from the game in 1974. It is believed that Aberdeen face stiff competition for the veteran forward's signature. Law, 97, is understood to also be considering smashing his own puss in with a toffee hammer.

"Obviously it's difficult for a club like Aberdeen to compete with the prospect of smashing your own puss in with a toffee hammer," explained the Dons boss. "Particularly now we've lost the TV money and the revenue from fiddling Jamie Smith's health insurance."

Associate
OP
I hadn't actually seen this thread the first time round I don't think but embarrassment would just about cover it from Hearts and Scotland. Still there's always next weekend vs St Johnstone and if we win I get to laugh at a couple of my mates - if we don't I cut all contact for the next couple of weeks. ;)

It's been a tough start for Hearts, I watched the Dinamo game and they were up against a very good side; no excuses for Sunday though :p

Associate
OP
He's been honest from the offset about the clubs financial state and despite it being of his own doings what else could he have done in these circumstances. I for one haven't called for him to step down as I dont think anyone out there could do anything different at the minute.

Hard enough to attract a buyer to the SPL so that isn't going to happen anytime soon either.

You know we have signed no players in this transfer window and clearly trying to bait some sort of a reaction but if we dont lose any of our big players in this window I will be reasonably confident going forward into this season.

As for people who mention Champions League money, that is only paid at the end of the season for your involvment.

I read followfollow and I can tell you that general consensus of (the so called 'hardcore') support is that this hasn't come a moment too soon.

I wasn't sure if Rangers had signed anyone this year, partly because I keep hearing that "with Player X coming back from injury, it's like a new signing". I find it amazing that not signing a single player (so far) is anywhere near acceptable, changed days indeed.

Associate
OP
Do you think Celtic will sell a top player now before end of tranfer window now that the 10 million champions league money is a no go?

They have spent about 5-7 million something they didnt do last year so by my reckoning thats somewhere between 15-20 million down on last year? Have they paid off their Training ground fully yet?

This season could be costly for Celtic now they may have reduced debt to 1.5 million but that was using the champiuons league money and not being net spenders in the transfer market last year.

Your figures are a bit out. You haven't taken into account the money (match day, tv and participation) we will earn from our Europa league games. Plus there's the increased possibility of us being involved in European competition after Christmas.

So no, I don't think we will sell a player to balance the books. The board hasn't run the club like that for some years.

Associate
OP
Things are looking up for Scottish Football, one of our most slapstick protagonists has been immortalised on this respected periodical...

beano.jpg

:D

Associate
OP
Any money C*ltic make will be swallowed up in wages and expenses.

Rangers reached the Uefa cup final last year and only broke even. Points bonuses are neglible and barely cover the cost of transporting and accommodating your squad to these away games.

I see difficult financial times ahead for C*ltic, i feel it in ma watter. ;)

Just a pity Bobo wasn`t still there trousering his 30k per week. :)

Could you use that financial acumen of yours to tell me why Rangers, on the back of a double-winning season and with the guaranteed CL income, haven't been able to sign a single player? Exactly how rotten is it down at Ibrox?

Associate
OP
There will be no ban for McGeady because he has already been punished! He took a tumble, and, rightly or wrongly, the ref has sent him off. Celtic gained no advantage, quite the contrary in fact. End of story.

Associate
OP
I admire your devotion Eddie but there is no doubt that he went down with no contact. I've seen more blatant dives go unpunished but he was rightly yellowed for this. He did the crime, he's been punished for it.

Associate
OP
Aye, he went down, which is disappointing but for BTM to defend him seemingly without considering the fact that he COULD have dived.. well..A weekend to forget for us methinks.

3 points from Easter Road, a weekend to forget? I take it you've already forgotten about our last time there?

Associate
OP
The reason is the astronimical wage bill Jock. It`s simply unsustainable. C*ltic`s wage is is generally regarded as being higher yet i fail to see how their income can service it.

I have no conclusive proof but i have a feeling that there is trouble ahead for C*ltic. I fail to see how you can avoid it.

If history has taught us anything, it`s that no matter what C*ltic do, they eventually **** things up again. Kinda find their level again, so to speak. ;)

I`m happy with Rangers` squad atm and i don`t feel any money needs spent on it other than perhaps cover for Centre half. This trimmed squad has no hiding place so hopefully they`ll all stand up and be counted.

Blowing millions of pounds on duds pre-season is what got us in to our mess, i see you lot haven`t learned from our mistakes. :D

Top of league, with not a penny spent. Good start and proof that money doesn`t buy success.

LMFAO, "I have a feeling" OH NOES we're doomed! Here's a new sig for you mate, very apt for these distressing times at Ibrox :D:D:D

hahahahg.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom