SPL Season 2009/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Looking increasingly like McGhee will be the first sacking of the season. 3-0 to Celtic at half-time then 3-1 final score with heavy booing from home fans though good result for Celtic.

Nor

Nor

Associate
Celtic switched off in the second half, but was a comfortable win overall. Only downside for them is the injury to Maloney who may miss the Arsenal game depending how serious it is.

Rangers will be unveilling the champions flag in 20 minutes time. They have quite a few injuries and suspensions, and have sold/loaned 9 players, but should have enough to win against Falkirk at home.

Associate
OP
Our win was more down to how bad Aberdeen were than anything else, but I saw enough to be hopeful for the rest of the season. New signings all did very well, Fox especially, Boruc is carrying some timber!

Associate
OP
Aberdeen Football Club today lost out in the chase to sign ex-Cardiff City goalkeeper, Michael Oakes.

Oakes, 35, has been without a club since he was released by the Welsh club at the end of the 2008 season.

Although there were no other clubs interested in signing the veteran goalkeeper, it's believed that Oakes was eligible for government assistance, and decided to remain unemployed rather than sign for the Dons.

Aberdeen manager, Mark McGhee, remained philosophical, despite losing out on his third target in as many weeks.

"Obviously it was disappointing to lose out on Oakes," said McGhee, "But it's hard for a club like Aberdeen to compete with the sort of wages that unemployment offers. Personally I think it's crazy money, and we offered Oakes what I think was a very competitive package. Unfortunately the lure of the English pound, and a steady diet of rejected supermarket produce is something we can't realistically compete with."

The failure to sign Oakes comes hard on the heels of two other failures in the transfer market for Aberdeen.

Previously the Dons had failed to sign ex-Crew Alexander player Ryan Lynch, who found work as the guy who collects the baskets at Asda shortly after Aberdeen offered him a contract.

This was followed by the failure to sign experienced striker Michael Branch. The Dons were believed to be on the verge of signing the ex Halifax forward until he gassed himself in his own garage in the early hours of Wednesday morning. The day he was to be unveiled in front of the Evening Express photographer at Pittodrie.

"Obviously it's difficult for us to compete with the opportunity to kill yourself rather than sign for Aberdeen Football Club." Said McGhee. "But we still have options. Still have irons in the fire. The money's there to strengthen the team, assuming by 'strengthen' we actually mean 'not strengthen'."

The Dons boss hinted that he was not finished in the transfer market this year, saying, "There's a couple of lads we've been running the rule over for the last 6 years, and we're probably about ready to make a move for them.. One of them is a Scottish international, so we may have problems putting together a financial package that he finds attractive."

According to some sources the international in question is Denis Law, a prolific striker who has been without a club since retiring from the game in 1974. It is believed that Aberdeen face stiff competition for the veteran forward's signature. Law, 97, is understood to also be considering smashing his own puss in with a toffee hammer.

"Obviously it's difficult for a club like Aberdeen to compete with the prospect of smashing your own puss in with a toffee hammer," explained the Dons boss. "Particularly now we've lost the TV money and the revenue from fiddling Jamie Smith's health insurance."

Soldato
4-1 for the champions not surprised though as its basically the same team as last year. no wonder the sheep were booing mcghee after he said job was second rate job as he wanted tic job the mans made a rod for his own back ufl mark over rated manager pity he didnt get the semtex fc job :(

Soldato
Been quite busy to contribute so far but boy was I happy with the 2-1 win against Hearts :D

This could prove to be one of the most important results of the season, 10 men from 12mins, 1-0 down after a horrible mistake by McGregor and we still managed to pull out the W!

Not convinced on the red card or the pen we got at the end but I'll take what happened.

Tbh I can see the Old Firm steamrolling the league this season with greater importance on the OF Games than ever before.

Motherwell and Hibs however look a different proposition this season thats for sure.

I assume this lack of activity here is due to the collective embarrassment caused by our club and national team's efforts of recent weeks?

Less said about this the better, the next international break will prove to be even more embarrassing no doubt :eek:

Associate
I assume this lack of activity here is due to the collective embarrassment caused by our club and national team's efforts of recent weeks?

Keep forgetting about this thread.

Good result for Rangers yesterday.

Played with a determination and team spirit i`ve not witnessed in a long time. Usually the heads go down after we lose a goal, never mind a player too.

Miller and Naismith really don`t give the opposition a moment`s peace and Lee McCulloch seems to have started really well.

Naismith will be the one to watch this season. His touch and movement are excellent and perhaps we`ll get to see the reason Arsene Wenger took him for a week long trial.

Long may it continue.

Soldato
Red card I think will be downgraded to a yellow but I can see why he gave the red from his angle. The Challange on Miller in second half was as bad as the one Thomson did yet only merited a yellow?

As for the penalty there was a tug of the jersey outside the box but Naismith tried to stay on his feet till he was kicked in the chest in the box so it was a penalty. Pleased with the win though I had egg on my face as I was yelling at the telly bringing him on for what 90 seconds really worth while Walter. 1st touch heads onto Naismith 2nd touch scores winner. Me eating humble pie :D

Nor

Nor

Associate
Celtic played very well against St Johnstone, though Caldwell managed to give them 2 goals. He really is a liability at times.

Thought Rangers played very well in the second half. The only team who wanted to win it. 10 men for most of the match and really took the game to hearts. Did feel that after the referee sent Thompson off he was a bit reticent to give any other big decisions against Rangers. Bougherra's barge in the back of the Hearts striker was an obvious pen, as was McCulloch's push in the back of the Hearts player at the corner, though it wasn't easy to spot for the ref. Naismith looked to be kicked outside the box, but it was very close and you can understand why the ref pointed to the spot.

I don't know how McCulloch stays on the pitch most weeks mind you. His kick at the Hearts goalie was unreal. Surprised more hasn't been made of it, expected the video review panel to be looking at it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Rangers benefit from yet another 'get out of jail free' routine from the ref, no way was that a penalty. The Hearts lad played the ball and Naismith dropped like a stone. Oh well, start the season as you intend to continue.

Man of Honour

I hadn't actually seen this thread the first time round I don't think but embarrassment would just about cover it from Hearts and Scotland. Still there's always next weekend vs St Johnstone and if we win I get to laugh at a couple of my mates - if we don't I cut all contact for the next couple of weeks. ;)

Associate
OP
I hadn't actually seen this thread the first time round I don't think but embarrassment would just about cover it from Hearts and Scotland. Still there's always next weekend vs St Johnstone and if we win I get to laugh at a couple of my mates - if we don't I cut all contact for the next couple of weeks. ;)

It's been a tough start for Hearts, I watched the Dinamo game and they were up against a very good side; no excuses for Sunday though :p

Soldato
Mav, what did you make of the Boughera barge and McCulloch tackle?

Not sure what you mean for the barge is it the one where the guy was running through and bougherra caught up and kicked the ball out? If its that then yer talking rot. As for McCulloch well he got away with it as the ref obv thought he was going for the ball which imo he wasnt. I'm no fan of McCulloch but I've seen it happen from players of most teams and nothing been done about it. Biggest offenders are Keepers look at Boruc last year ran out chopped the player down last man no foul no red card so all teams get away with things like this but we dont moan about it when it happens in favour of our own club. For every dodgy Rangers award I'/m sure I could come up with a similar one for Celtc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom