SPL Season 2009/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
OP
Keane, a lifelong Celtic fan, has made 25 appearances for Spurs this season but has recently been confined to the substitutes' bench.

I seem to remember a similar line when he signed for Liverpool :D

That aside, he would be a great signing, even if only for half a season.

Associate
OP
Why do we have to spend if we are 10 points clear? Might not be able to, but if we could, it wouldnt make much difference.

Rothen? Ohh yeah, i forgot how amazing Mowbray is at signings :p

You can't seriously be happy with the Rangers squad? Are you not frustrated that you haven't been able to sign anyone? You're in the minority, I can assure you/

10 points can be eaten up pretty quickly, especially with a home game in hand and 2 head-to-heads left.

I said earlier that I had all but written this season off and it would take something special for us to catch up, that something may just have arrived in the shape of a top International goal-scorer.

Associate
OP
Yes, to be honest i think the squad we have can still grind out the title. Coinsistency is the key. i do admit the next old firm game could be a vital decider.

But yeah "top International goal-scorer" thats all on paper, forgetting bellamy and flo in passed seasons?

Put it this way, I'd rather have Robbie Keane at Celtic than anywhere else. He's not going to single-handedly deliver the league title but he'll not hurt our chances.

Associate
OP
Then again, maybe not ;)

McDonald should never have been punted to accomodate a stagnant player like Keane who has failed at almost every club he has been at apart from Leeds Utd.

I`ve watched it for years Jock. Loan players` loyalties lie elsewhere. When the chips are down, they have an escape clause in that they can return to their own clubs. A safety cushion which is far too convenient.

Neither OF side should bring in loan players as they very very rarely work. Steve Davis aside, i cannot think of a successful loan spell which either Rangers or Celtic benefitted from.

Neither should entertain loans and Mowbray should be sacked for letting McDonald go. An absolutely insane decision.

You couldn't be more wrong I'm afraid.

McDonald obviously wasn't punted to make room for Keane, he was clearly ear-marked for the off long before the Keane deal came about. Also, you're going to have to explain how you came to the conclusion that Keane is 'stagnant' and 'failed at almost every club he has been at apart from Leeds Utd.', unless of course it's a cheeky troll.

The squad inherited by Mowbray was littered with average SPL quality players. This is the squad, remember, that capitulated against a ****-poor Rangers team last season and has thus far been unable to match them this.

So, the team clearly needed surgery, McDonald was one of the more saleable assets (behind McGeady and Boruc) so he had to go. He was apparently a bad influence in the team and was obviously deemed more trouble than he was worth.

We had two out of three loan players on the park last night, I'm not sure how they've left us any worse off than we were before they arrived?

I've no less confidence in our post-window squad than I did in the pre-window one. Unfortunately it now looks like we've run out of games to make a real fist of it.

Associate
OP
But they havent improvent the team have they?
Still missing chance after chance infront of goal.
What is it £65k a week for keane? You avin a laff, done no better that samaras or mcdonald tbh.

The team has improved, if not results. I'm not going to write off Keane and Kamara after one game because they clearly have the talent to score goals in Scotland. If anything was to blame for last night it was Mowbray's tactics, or lack thereof.

Also, the £65k thing. Lawwell has already said that Celtic are only paying a portion of that.

Associate
OP
The majority of fans on the Liverpool and Tottenham supporters sites agree. Go read them and you`ll see what i mean.

Tottenham are also pushing for a top 4 finish so surely if Keane was an important player for them, he wouldn`t be given away to the SPL for the run in?. I`m not saying he is a bad player. He is a decent player, but at the moment he is very stagnant and off form and it wasn`t very bright to lose your top goal scorer to make room for him for 4 months.

The squad inherited by Mowbray had a load of medals and qualified for the last 16 CL twice. Getting rid of your top scorer is a big mistake. Bad influence my arse. Also, Boruc is getting found out week and week for what he is, a very avergae player at best. The other Polish keeper you have is better.

If you don`t understand what i mean about loan players, you soon will. They are useless 99 times out of 100. Rarely does anything good ever come out of it from the team hiring the player.

Steven Davis apart, name me some successful loan signings top clubs have made?.

And finally, no i`m not trolling, just giving an opinion.

I've no interest in going to find out what the majority of Liverpool and Spurs fans say. Maybe you could link me seeing as you've obviously taken the time to research?

The numbers suggest that he was a success at Wolves, Coventry, Leeds and Spurs, not to mention with Ireland. He was unlucky at Inter and yes, he failed at Liverpool. He seems to be in just the type of situation where a loan move revitalises a player.

What makes you think we got rid of McDonald to make room for Keane? The chronology of events seems to make this unlikely.

Associate
OP
I picked up on some stark talk from Walter today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/r/rangers/8497395.stm

He's pretty candid about the financial situation at Rangers and has pointed out that, even if they win the treble, it won’t get any better over the summer. When the team is winning on the park, it's easy to forget that off-field success is equally important to a club's prosperity.

This, rather conveniently, throws up a contrast to Celtic's current problems. The incumbent board has always taken a great pride in running the club within sound financial parameters. This prudence has, in my view, meant Celtic have failed to capitalise on recent successful spells and as a result are playing second fiddle to a club who haven't bought a player in 2 years.

Lots of teams have gone from boom to bust (Hearts, Dundee, Leeds spring to mind), is it worth it?

Would I like Celtic be top of the league and chasing a treble? Of course I would. Even if it meant being debt-stricken and financially screwed? No thanks.

Rangers fans, would you take a few trophy-less seasons if it meant your debt was wiped out? Is it hard to care when the team is winning so easily?

Associate
OP
:

It's not their fault. they have backed the manager 100% - I don't rate Mowbray at all - i think they shoud get Strachan back - imagine if they had given him that sort of money to spend ! :p

Owen Coyle next year for me i think

Strachan is the man who signed Willo Flood and Chris Killen not once, but twice. :eek: I think he'd be dangerous with that kind of money.

Any idea what Mowbray's net spend is? There's been lots of undisclosed fees and loans so it's tricky to know exactly what he's spent.

Associate
OP
Pretty sure they were both permanent deals.

I've no idea how much the papers are saying Mowbray spent, but, given your average Scottish football hack's affinity for hyperbole, I think it's safe to say you're right.

Associate
OP
OK a couple of things strike me about the figures, one being that they're 'unaudited' which I would assume means the accountants have a bit more flexibility in what they count. Another is the following quotes:

Whilst the Interim Results are pleasing, a degree of caution is required as the future outlook is fraught with challenges.

The Board appreciated the understanding of Lloyds TSB Bank plc in supporting our initiatives to stabilise the Club without totally compromising the ability of the management team to field a competitive squad of players for the current season.

Until such time as this is achieved, we are compelled to maintain our working relationship with Lloyds TSB Bank plc.

The Board understands that reliance on such a facility going forward is not desirable if we are to retain control over the Club's destiny and avoid negatively impacting the potential for future success.

However, a balanced view is required at this stage amongst operating sustainability, ambition, and the commensurate underlying value of the Club.

This carries a very different tone from what the numbers suggest (to the layman at least), which makes me suspect the figures are a bit of spin.

Associate
OP
Err they cant release false figures pal.

Actually the rules of accounting allow figures to be spun one way or another to a surprising degree, pal. Especially when they haven't been verified by an independent auditor. The profit figure is great for a headline but there's no mention of the debt (which leads me to believe it's higher than 31M) and there's no indication of cash flow.

I'm not sure how MIH and Rangers are entangled but I do remember Murray putting in 50M a few years ago when the share issue was largely ignored by the loyal bears. I imagine that 50M is a significant part of the problem.

Associate
OP
He actually stated in an interview last nighit that the debt remained at 31 Million as clearing Rangers debt was not a priority as they have arrangement with the bank to reduce the debt by 1 million a year.

Murray did not put 50 Million into Rangers (Not of his own money) MIH took £50 million worth of shares but they didnt pay it they just moved the debt.This is common with Murray he moves debt around his organisation. Only now it is estimated his Empire owes the banks somewhere between 400 - 700 million. This is the problem and Rangers as seen as an Asset of MIH.

I know he didn't actually withdraw 50M from his Supersaver account but he still provided Rangers with 50M of liquid assets.

Anyway, this is accountancy, something in which I'm even less qualified to comment than football.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom