Split Air con

Associate
Cheers for the tips. I had a little play and the 1/4" seems very easy to bend. I guess for the 3/8" it'll be a case of sliding the bending spring along the tube as I feed it through and around to make a bend. I've already got a flaring tool/Nylog and bits for cleaning the cut pipe ends so will be going with that method.

Soldato
Finally had my parts delivered this week for a Daikin triple indoor unit multi split install. It included a 2x25m rolls of copper tubing, 1/4" and 3/8". For those who've just installed recently, whats the best/easiest way to route and pull the copper around?

The more you bend the copper the stiffer it becomes. On reflection having installed 12m worth, I would try to keep any hard bends until the pipework is ready to be fixed in place.

When I encountered the obstacle of a joist in my garage roof I had to get around I was progressively pulling the pipe and bending the pipe with the bending spring to get by it. However in hindsight better planning of the route could have avoided the need to do this.

So really try to make the path to the condenser as easy as possible, shallow sweeping bends and use a conduit where needed to aid the pulling (speedifit 21.5mm flexi pvc pipe worked well for me) to protect the pipe from being abraded when moved, just allow the need to pull the conduit back off when the copper is in place to fit the insulation.

Make your entry/exit holes big enough so you are not fighting against that also, it's easier to fill a gap than have to replace a length of pipe.

Good luck with your install, be interested to see some pics if you can. A 3 unit setup is certainly brave for a first time install. :)

Associate
Thanks for the reply. I'll be drilling through any ceiling joists so no need to bend around them, but there are still plenty of corners. Good tip for the flexi conduit, will be buying a piece of that to help and allowing plenty of size in the holes I drill.

Here's a couple of pics showing where it is to be installed and planned pipe runs:-

JtcIzUOh.jpg

OVsphawh.jpg

So, from the first pic bottom right, other side of the 100mm hole in the wall will be the outside wall mounted unit. I'll be making a boxed section on the ground there to cover the floor/wall edge and the red plastic DPM, so will be running pipes in there to cover it all. Another boxing section then vertically up the corner of the wall to cover all of the pipes here. Then there is Unit 1 in this room, and the pipes will come out of the LHS and be surface mounted in conduit to the boxing. Next pic, shows Unit 2, and the plan here is to have the pipes coming out of the back of this unit, straight through a hole in the stud wall and into either the conduit or straight into the vertical corner boxing. Last Unit 3, is other side of that wall, and again will be taking the pipes out of the back of Unit 3, and there will be more boxing built which covers the top 10mm of stonework which can also cover the pipes here. So quite a few 90deg turns in not much space.

Permabanned
I installed mine last year and it’s been an absolute god send although we’ve rarely used it for cooling but more for heating during winter. Wouldn’t be with out it and I still plan to fit one in our bedroom at some point.

Not quite as tidy as some of the others on this thread but for £500 all in I’m well happy. Had no issues what so ever neither have the company I work for who have 2 units that have been running trouble free for 2-3 years now.

6-BF96-FE6-30-C3-419-F-86-BC-68177271-B33-E.jpg

B4941-DD9-870-F-446-F-9-D70-830126-F0-C9-CD.jpg

F6-FA18-F1-9-FFD-4-A72-B6-AE-FAA356324502.jpg

Permabanned
Nice install there @Doobedoo. What is the vertical trunking there? Power?
Internal pic yes it’s the power supply cable. Would love to have it chased into the wall but to be honest it’ll be a lot easier to remove or replace in trunking than buried in the wall.

These units are so cheap and easy to install I’m surprised more people don’t have them.

Associate
Quick condensate question. As I'll be having 3 indoor units, ideally I'd like to combine the condensate outlet from each of the 3 units into one pipe inside, and then run just the one pipe through the house and outside. So, how much condensate water do people get dripping out of the drains? Just wondering if I can squeeze the 3 flexible drains from the wall units into some 40mm waste pipe, then 40mm pipe is going to be plenty big enough to cope with the water draining into it. I imagine it will be plenty, but thought I'd check just in case people have streams coming out of the condensate drains when running full whack?

Soldato
Difficult to say I would think, although @RJC might have some hard info on it. From what I have seen of mine I think you would be easily ok with a 40mm pipe. That would take a large volume of water!

In the heat wave we had last month, I had two rooms dripping in to a tray so I could see how much condensate was coming out. Not a lot tbh, a constant drip from each line I would say and probably about 500ml max in a 3-4 hours but difficult to gauge as it was no doubt evaporating out of the tray too. My house is normally quite 'dry', rooms being around 45-50% RH. I've got my office window open atm though and it is 20c and 65% RH (we had a lot of rain last night).

I do notice if I keep my bedroom door shut with the AC on, the RH goes up over night. It was around 70% RH this morning and 21c. I am thinking because my house is so well insulated and with the door shut the internal AC unit is not running much, I can only hear it fire up every now and then so maybe not enough to keep on top of the humidty. @RJC does that sound plausible?

RJC

RJC

Don
40mm Will be fine - as these vary the speed the saturated refrigerant temp will rise as the speed decreases so the chances removing a lot of moisture out of the air will be minimal.

Belongs you have decent gradient and not to course any slow spots for the drip pan to build up.

@fobose that does sound correct, with two or one persons in the room you will add humidity and as the ambient is low the heat load is not there, this is where some units have humidity setting, it will ramp the compressor up but keep the fan speed low not to course a draft.

Soldato
Thanks RJC, that puts my mind at ease :D I don't think mine has a humidity setting, I did look in the app for an option. It does have dehumidify mode though. Maybe if I left the unit in 'auto' mode instead of cooling, it would switch to dehumidify when the humidity creeps up. Having said that, if there is no humidity setting, how would it know what the humidity is. Hmm.

RJC

RJC

Don
Thanks RJC, that puts my mind at ease :D I don't think mine has a humidity setting, I did look in the app for an option. It does have dehumidify mode though. Maybe if I left the unit in 'auto' mode instead of cooling, it would switch to dehumidify when the humidity creeps up. Having said that, if there is no humidity setting, how would it know what the humidity is. Hmm.

Your not missing much :eek:

I would leave on cooling or heating as sometimes the unit fights it’s self.

Soldato
Units all seem to be working fine, but the downstairs one is making a slightly funny noise.

I uploaded it to youtube, best heard on headphones and you'll need to whack the volume right up, for some reason it's equalised pretty badly.

The other 2 units don't seem to make the same noise, and this one doesn't make the noise 100% of the time, but probably more than 50% of the time when I use it.

Interested to hear opinions on it?

Soldato
I think one of mine sounded like that, in my bedroom. It turns out my hot water tank's PRV on the wall behind was letting by after I showered. The noise my end was water running through the open 'tundish' which is why I could hear it.

Whats behind or above that unit?

Soldato
Is this the unit that the gas pipes go up in to your loft? Anything in the loft that could cause the sound to travel down the hole they made (assuming they forgot to seal it up)?

P.S how did you get on with your network install, have you had it done yet?

RJC

RJC

Don
Units all seem to be working fine, but the downstairs one is making a slightly funny noise.

I uploaded it to youtube, best heard on headphones and you'll need to whack the volume right up, for some reason it's equalised pretty badly.

The other 2 units don't seem to make the same noise, and this one doesn't make the noise 100% of the time, but probably more than 50% of the time when I use it.

Interested to hear opinions on it?

Sound like flash gas, what is the loading on the system and we’re the other on at the same time?

Can't see you vid bud, says the video is private.

Lol. Get it done RJC and stop mucking about :p

I know I know :(:D

Back
Top Bottom