Split Air con

Soldato
I could do a ducted system I suppose. What are the other drawbacks besides individual control (which can use manifolds apparently)? The loft is being boarded but only in the centre with shelves in the eves since it's a W truss roof so ducts could run along under the shelves

Soldato
Longer time to cool down the room and can only go down to 19c but this shouldn't be a problem, probably best to ask for quotes as a big draw of it for me was the cost reduction.

Also you do have an element of control in the fact the ducts are adjustable so much like central heating rads you can balance your rooms out and cool the ones that are bigger/more used.

Soldato
You can also go for a ducted system where each room has it's own internal unit, all connected to the single outside unit. That way you have full individual control.
Costs though.

Soldato
Was up in the roof today and clambering over my roof unit and noticed a bit of a breeze coming from the edges of a couple of the outlet hoses, so taped it all up, hopefully get a bit more performance with it now all going into the rooms rather than a bit heading into the loft!

Soldato
Did anyone get quotes for both Ducted and Split AC? Just trying to make my mind up since it's four bedrooms on the top floor it might be quite the difference

Split AC will be a lot more as you will need more individual machines. I originally was enquiring for 2 individual machines in my 2 big bedrooms but Subcool advised a ducted system which would provide the 3rd smaller bedroom with aircon too.

Soldato
What are you guys using for cleaning your high wall mini split air handlers?

Mine is about a year old, filters cleaned regularly but still recently noticed a bit of a musty smell coming from it when it's blowing ambient temperature air (compressor off). Had a look and there was mould in the blower wheel and louvres. Not much compared to ones I've seen online but gave it a cleaning with what I had to hand, cillit bang black mould remover and a small brush. Looked much better however turned it on and now the smell is actually considerably worse, not better.
I guess I need a proper cleaner to get the funk out but in the UK the only products you find are automotive. Any suggestions guys?

Associate

Mine is about a year old, filters cleaned regularly but still recently noticed a bit of a musty smell coming from it when it's blowing ambient temperature air (compressor off). Had a look and there was mould in the blower wheel and louvres. Not much compared to ones I've seen online but gave it a cleaning with what I had to hand, cillit bang black mould remover and a small brush. Looked much better however turned it on and now the smell is actually considerably worse, not better.
I guess I need a proper cleaner to get the funk out but in the UK the only products you find are automotive. Any suggestions guys?
I would like to know an answer to this one as well!

Soldato

First issue is it’s only cycling air from the room as it’s a closed room. It might be worth while checking the humidity levels of the room.

Do not use collie bang on a heat exchanger. Smell will be coming from/through there too. Get a can of This or a bottle of This and just go to town on it and follow the instructions. It‘ll help If you’ve got a pump garden sprayer to rinse everything off and off the blower.

Then spray This onto the filters, unit and fan. Then stick a Smelly jelly onto the filter and it’ll be lovely and fresh.

Or, phone someone out and get them to do and spend a similar amount of money :cry::D

Soldato
I'm very impressed with my Mitsubishi units. House is a nice cool 22c and it's 28c outside and climbing. Currently pulling about 250-300 watts according to my smart meter. That's only a few pence per hour! Might need to put some socks on because I'm getting chilly :D

Edit: Now the day has gotten hotter and the sun is on the back of the house power consumption has increased somewhat to about 400-450w. Still lower than my portable unit that never actually cooled the room properly.

Last edited:
Sgarrista
Commissario
I'm very impressed with my Mitsubishi units. House is a nice cool 22c and it's 28c outside and climbing. Currently pulling about 250-300 watts according to my smart meter. That's only a few pence per hour! Might need to put some socks on because I'm getting chilly :D

Edit: Now the day has gotten hotter and the sun is on the back of the house power consumption has increased somewhat to about 400-450w. Still lower than my portable unit that never actually cooled the room properly.

Next door thought I was mad earlier walking out of the house wearing a hoodie, until I invited them in and you could see the goose pimples on their arms from how lovely and chilly it was.

Back
Top Bottom