Stand Your Ground

Soldato
If he can't act in a calm, non emotional way in identifying threats to his person then he shouldn't have a concealed carry license.

Conversely the deceased gentleman could've had a calm civil discussion with the man and not thrown him to the ground as his opening move, if he did that he'd be happily going about his business

Soldato
I see that some people here feel that the man should not have been shot, so I have a question for you. If somebody who is half your age, twice your size, and without warning shoves you to the ground so hard that your body slides across the ground, what should the appropriate response be? Go into the fetal position and hope that this person doesn't beat you to death?

Soldato
I see that some people here feel that the man should not have been shot, so I have a question for you. If somebody who is half your age, twice your size, and without warning shoves you to the ground so hard that your body slides across the ground, what should the appropriate response be? Go into the fetal position and hope that this person doesn't beat you to death?

Personally, I think I would spend an extra second or two before I shoot him in the chest, but that's just me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Soldato
Personally, I think I would spend an extra second or two before I shoot him in the chest, but that's just me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are you talking about after pulling our your gun or not even pulling out the gun at all?

In that situation you are just giving your attacker an extra second to disarm you and use the weapon against you though, or if you don't pull the gun out at all you are risking further assault and possibly even death yourself.

I'v come across people that have almost died just from being pushed on the floor and hitting their head for example, and people have died from similar injuries.

I do have sympathy about the fact that someone died because of this, but I do feel that to a certain extent he brought it upon himself given the state where he lives and the laws within that state. That behaviour (pushing someone over with such force) is simply not acceptable.

Soldato
We can only go on what the video shows. The guy doesn’t appear a threat.

On the contrary, He actually looks very threatening.

He has just had a gun pulled on him.

Somebody trying to supplicate, I would expect, would hold his hands up, palms outwards and slowly back away, offering apologies as he does so.

This guy doesnt do this.

He backs off, but only one step or so.

His legs are apart,

And his hands are not "Up", his arms are by his side and held slightly wide.

This is all preparation for action, not preparation for walking away.

While in the absence of independent witnesses, we cannot know for sure what was said, It is inconceivable that words would not have been exchanged immediately prior to the actual shot fired.

If you go back to the beginning, we also see that after the initial assault (A very hard shove indeed, Not a gentle push where the victim simply lost his balance) The Guy pulled up his shorts, Also a preparation for action. I have no doubt in my own mind that had the old guy not pulled the gun at this point he would have received a severe beating.

Once the gun was drawn this was only ever going to go one of two ways.

Either the assailant would have walked away, or the old guy was going to shoot him.

The old guy could not lower the gun unless the assailant walked away first or he would have certainly been attacked, severely beaten or even shot with his own Gun.

At this point, the only person who could have defused the situation was the assailant, by walking away,

He chose not to do so, likley preferring to aggravate the situation, and got shot as a consequence.

(Interestingly, many of the on-line clips now seem to have been edited around the time the shot was fired to make it seem that the old guy shot without warning, the earlier clips clearly showed that there was a brief time when some sort of verbal confrontation must have taken place)

Caporegime
I think you’re just seeing what you want to see. The guy is retreating hands down, you assume a “verbal confrontation” but actually it’s all just assumptions. You assume a surrendering person will immediately put their hands up, you assume he’s preparing for action, you assume a severe beating was the likely outcome, you assume somehow the assailant would steal the gun and shoot the older guy, you assume there was only two ways it could have gone. Assumption after assumption.

At the point the gun was out was there time to let it play out rather than shooting? Looks like it to me.

What we think really doesn’t matter, I don’t live in Florida, they need to decide if they’re happy that fatal shootings are reasonable in these situations.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Amazed that people think it was ok to shoot the guy. He backs off and you have a gun pointed at him. Hes not doing anything and if he moves towards you, shoot him. I have no idea how the law says thats ok. One person pushes another to the ground because his family is being verbally abused and the other guy shoots him.

He pushed him over. He didn't punch him, he didn't pull a gun on him, didn't threaten to kill him, he pushed him over and stopped. The guy on the floor then pulls a gun and the other guy backs off before he is shot in cold blood. Nothing about that says that he should fear for his life. The dead guy was turning away and moving away when he was shot. The argument that he could have killed him by pushing him over is complete ****. He did what most normal people would do to a nutter abusing their family.

Soldato
He did what most normal people would do to a nutter abusing their family.

Where have you got this narrative from? Why is the man now a nutter and how do you know he was being abusive? I'd say the nutter was the convicted violent cocaine dealer who assaulted him.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Where have you got this narrative from? Why is the man now a nutter and how do you know he was being abusive? I'd say the nutter was the convicted violent cocaine dealer who assaulted him.

Just the bit where he starts arguments with random people for parking where he doesn't think they should and carries a concealed weapon which he is clearly very willing to use.

The bit where the sheriffs department had a number of complaints about Drejka doing pretty much exactly what he did here.

The bit where the wife says that she was scared at how quickly the argument with someone she didn't know intensified. Perhaps she should have been allowed to shoot him being a woman stuck in her car with her children and arguing with an angry man.

Drejka walked around his truck, looking for handicap decals, then demanded to know why Kelly had parked there, the trucker told the Tampa Bay Times. At one point Drejka threatened to shoot Kelly.

And you genuinely think he wasn't a nutter and looking for trouble and someone he could shoot. Anyone who shoots another person who is backing off when they have a gun pointed at them should be prosecuted.

Soldato
Just the bit where he starts arguments with random people for parking where he doesn't think they should and carries a concealed weapon which he is clearly very willing to use.

The bit where the sheriffs department had a number of complaints about Drejka doing pretty much exactly what he did here.

The bit where the wife says that she was scared at how quickly the argument with someone she didn't know intensified. Perhaps she should have been allowed to shoot him being a woman stuck in her car with her children and arguing with an angry man.

And you genuinely think he wasn't a nutter and looking for trouble and someone he could shoot. Anyone who shoots another person who is backing off when they have a gun pointed at them should be prosecuted.

Is there a source for him threatening to shoot the wife, maybe one that isn't the wife of the deceased? Is there also a source for him escalating the argument very quickly to the point the wife was scared, again one that isn't the wife of the deceased? I commend him for challenging people on parking in disabled bays, it's what a responsible citizen should do. We'd be able to do that in the UK if we didn't have to worry about being stabbed (not so much up North to fair).

Carrying a gun is legal in the US, if you carry a gun you should be trained, able and willing to use it if you feel threatened or are attacked, otherwise why carry one?

Back
Top Bottom