Stand Your Ground

fez

fez

Caporegime
Is there a source for him threatening to shoot the wife, maybe one that isn't the wife of the deceased? Is there also a source for him escalating the argument very quickly to the point the wife was scared, again one that isn't the wife of the deceased? I commend him for challenging people on parking in disabled bays, it's what a responsible citizen should do. We'd be able to do that in the UK if we didn't have to worry about being stabbed (not so much up North to fair).

So you are happy to believe that the guy who shot an unarmed man was scared and just defending himself but you don't believe the testimony of the partner of the deceased?

Carrying a gun is legal in the US, if you carry a gun you should be trained, able and willing to use it if you feel threatened or are attacked, otherwise why carry one?

No, you should be trained, able and willing to use it within reason. You seem perfectly happy that the guy pulling a gun feared for his safety after being pushed, yes pushed but not that a guy might have felt like his family needed protecting. If that scene had played out in the UK the guy on the floor would have called the police and been done with it. No one would get hurt 99 times out of 100. All of this is ignoring the fact that he had a loaded gun pointed at a guy who was clearly no threat and was backing off. I assume its cool to shoot people if you feel threatened in any way even if they pose 0 threat to you and you have complete control over a situation. You should probably go to america and apply to some of their police departments.

Caporegime
If that scene had played out in the UK the guy on the floor would have called the police and been done with it. No one would get hurt 99 times out of 100.

Well given the other guys history that probbaly would have ended with him getting a kicking and his phone smashed while he tried to call the cops.

I dont think the coke dealing criminal would have calmly stood there waiting while he called the cops do you?

Caporegime
Well given the other guys history that probbaly would have ended with him getting a kicking and his phone smashed while he tried to call the cops.

I dont think the coke dealing criminal would have calmly stood there waiting while he called the cops do you?

I’m not sure using the dead guys background, which as far as I’ve seen wasn’t known to the shooter, as justification for his actions is legitimate.

“Your honour I know it was a bit murdery and all that, but turns out he wasn’t a nice man, so innocent then?”

Caporegime
I’m not sure using the dead guys background, which as far as I’ve seen wasn’t known to the shooter, as justification for his actions is legitimate.

“Your honour I know it was a bit murdery and all that, but turns out he wasn’t a nice man, so innocent then?”

Ok purely on the video content.

I doubt somoen who violently attacks somone before even saying a word will calmly wait while they fail the police and will instead prevent the victim from doing that to avoid the police from comming.

Bailey by destroying thier phone and giving them a kicking.

Happy?

The other guys defence is "well your honour I feared for my life having just been violently attacked so it got a bit perfectly legally killingly"

Caporegime

I doubt somoen who violently attacks somone before even saying a word will calmly wait while they fail the police and will instead prevent the victim from doing that to avoid the police from comming.

Happy?

The other guys defence is "well your honour I feared for my life having just been violently attacked so it got a bit perfectly legally killingly"

Yawn, endless assumptions. You can’t kill someone because you assume that they were going to progress to beating you when you have them at gun point backing away from you.

Or maybe you can in Florida, we shall see.

Sgarrista
Commissario
You can’t kill someone because you assume that they were going to progress to beating you

Well, yea, you can, thats the whole point of the stand your ground law.

Guy initiates a violent physical altercation in a state with stand your ground and conceal carry. Yea, we aren't any worse off with people who cant think that far ahead no longer being around.

You know how most rational people would have approached the situation? By walking upto the old dude and saying "hey, whats the issue". Not with a shove that sends him flying to the floor.

fez

fez

Caporegime

Happy?

Pushing someone over isn't violently attacking them. He pushed him and the guy ends up on the floor. If I was going to attack someone and try and really hurt them I wouldn't push them over and leave them there. The guy was ****** off at someone shouting at his family and pushed them over. Wouldn't it be great in the UK if every time someone pushes someone else they get shot dead.

Put it another way. If a police officer in the US has a gun pointed at a suspect and the suspect is moving away slowly and has their hands down, what should happen if they just start shooting the guy they have their gun pointed at.

Permabanned
The only people who should feel any guilt about this are those that allowed the dead guy to still be wandering around and not doing some hard labour for all his past criminal activity. If he'd been behind bars or working a chain gang this situation would not have occurred, like so many others where a known multi offence wrong `un is free to do more harm despite a record making it obvious he'll always be trouble in society. But I guess burying him and a short trial will cost the US tax payer less than banging him up for years, so some possible bonus.

Caporegime
Pushing someone over isn't violently attacking them.

Shoving someone to the floor is inherently violent, he instigated it ergo it was an "attack"... ergo he violently attacked them.

The guy was ****** off at someone shouting at his family and pushed them over.

You don't know that he was shouting at her, they were arguing, sure, but he was stood back from the car and not posing an immediate threat - he could have spoken to the guy or just told him to step away from his girlfriend etc.. instead he resorted to violence immediately

Soldato
Pushing someone over isn't violently attacking them. He pushed him and the guy ends up on the floor. If I was going to attack someone and try and really hurt them I wouldn't push them over and leave them there. The guy was ****** off at someone shouting at his family and pushed them over. Wouldn't it be great in the UK if every time someone pushes someone else they get shot dead.

I mean... I'd be fine with that because I don't go around pushing people over in supermarket car parks, or anywhere else for that matter. Do you?

Associate
Put it another way. If a police officer in the US has a gun pointed at a suspect and the suspect is moving away slowly and has their hands down, what should happen if they just start shooting the guy they have their gun pointed at.

Nothing probably. This (sadly) appears to happen quite frequently over there.

Permabanned
Was the guy who got shot black ?

He was, and with a long history of serious and violent criminality:

Multiple arrests including "AGGRAVATED BATTERY DOMESTIC", "RESISTING ARREST W/VIOLENCE", "POSSESSION OF COCAINE", "SALE OR DELIVERY OF COCAINE".

6 foot in the dirt seems a reasonable place for him to be. Sometimes one push is all it takes.

Soldato
The only people who should feel any guilt about this are those that allowed the dead guy to still be wandering around and not doing some hard labour for all his past criminal activity. If he'd been behind bars or working a chain gang this situation would not have occurred, like so many others where a known multi offence wrong `un is free to do more harm despite a record making it obvious he'll always be trouble in society. But I guess burying him and a short trial will cost the US tax payer less than banging him up for years, so some possible bonus.

Well that argument could be applied to anything though couldn't it? The Kennedy assassination could have been avoided if he'd just been incarcerated at birth.

I suppose the question here is, do you think a proportional response to being shoved is to open fire on the person who shoved you? If the answer is yes, then what are you so scared of?

Back
Top Bottom