Standing Desks - Cheap Ones worth it?

Soldato
You’d be surprised in weight. I think my Flexispot is rated to around 70kg

I've got both a Fully Jarvis and a Flexispot and both will go way more than 70kg to be honest, I may or may not have been childish enough to get on top and raise it with me on it, and I might weigh a tiny bit more (read quite a lot) more than 70kg.

Soldato
OP
I've got both a Fully Jarvis and a Flexispot and both will go way more than 70kg to be honest, I may or may not have been childish enough to get on top and raise it with me on it, and I might weigh a tiny bit more (read quite a lot) more than 70kg.

You're right. Just looked and the Flexispot is rated to 125kg.

Annoyingly as i looked i now really like the look of the new 4 legged version they do!

Associate
A few years ago I bought a Aimezo frame from Amazon for £109 in one of their lightning sales and just took the top of a desk at the office. An easy and far cheaper solution if you have a decent worktop already.

Soldato
It's a shame that Herman Miller aquired Fully because the offering is just nowhere near as good as it used to be. You can't buy half of the accessories separately anymore (and so much is out of stock) and the variety in tops has just disappeared and is way more limited.

I have a Fully Jarvis standing desk - bought it back in late '21 and because I needed a smaller size to fit in the alcove I bought the 120x80 bamboo top on the standing frame. One of the main benefits to Fully was that they sold different desktops in different materials and sizes separately so you could swap relatively easily if needed.

We've moved house, I've got more space in my study/home office so was looking to pick up a 160x80 desk top to give myself a bit more space. Herman Miller is no longer offer just the Fully Jarvis tops so I'm now looking at either getting a counter top and going that route or picking up one of the Flexispot Bamboo 160 x 80 tops separately. Those are always well reviewed and apparently were all sourced from the same factory as the original Jarvis ones anyway.

I understand that Herman Miller don't want to saturate their own product offering but it's annoying when we can no longer get the same monitor arms (or bracket accessories) that Fully sold or any of the tops separately. I like Herman Miller (ignoring the pricing) and have a Mirra 2 chair that I think is brilliant - but it's such a shame when businesses are acquired to then be only used for a fraction of what was originally so appealing about them.

You can still get the accessorys from the states for what it’s worth. No help for the tops though.

Although what I’d do in your shoes is just get the size you require from worktop express and get them to fully make it for you be around £200

Soldato
Just taken delivery of a Maidesite SN1 Height Adjustable Electric Standing Desk 100x60 cm. The black one here...

https://www.maidesite.co.uk/product...electric-standing-desk?variant=41847015112887

zlCA0jm.jpeg

It was £169.99 on Amazon with a £30 voucher. Was £159.99 on their own site but they are out of stock. Now I must face the arduous task of putting it together.

Soldato
Looking for a standing desk. 3 stage for stability and dual motor ideally 120 x 80 cm should support 2 x Dell 27" monitors with Arms. I have two suggestions.

Herman Miller Jarvis - Expensive on Sale - £743

or Sanodesk slightly bigger in size 140 x 80 - £279

Does anyone have either or can recommend similar ?
I recently bought a Sanodesk one specifically this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08BZ7RMVP?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

I was pretty impressed with the quality for £80 and it was the perfect size to fit in my room.

fez

fez

Caporegime
Got one of the IKEA ones from years ago and barely use it. Without a memory program I simply can't be bothered to faff with manually getting it to just the right height.

Soldato
I did a lot of research into this, and given my height and how a lot of cheaper ones seem to either not extend as high, or are less stable at full height, or both, I opted to get a properly good set of legs and fit my own top to it.

The Linak DF1 is re-sold by lots of other brands, but is basically the "office standard", my firm has hundreds of them and they are incredibly solid, so I went for that. 0 regrets, it's extremely solid and the only movement comes from it being on a thick pile carpet.

Quoting my post from the items i bought thread from when i made it:

Made my own standing desk using a Linak Df1 (well, a Flomotion "skyflo" which is a rebadged linak), and a solid walnut 40mm worktop, 160x80cm deep but to size by Worktop Express. I finished the edges with a router, sanded smooth, and applied 3 coats of rustins oil

Hjt7Z82.jpeg

8t1Xg9k.jpeg

83zup0J.jpeg

uMKBqB7.jpeg

Will eventually replace my mismatched monitors with a 34" ultrawide but they do for now.

Need to find a rug to replace the ikea desk mat, that is smooth enough for chair. Carpet is way too thick.

Soldato
Does anyone remember this legend of a post lol

Soldato
Tempted to bite the bullet with one of these just to try it out for that price!
I found it pretty well built and easy to put together myself. It currently has my 34" ultrawide on it along with a load of other stuff. doesnt seem to have an issue being raised or lowered. For the money and my specific needs i think its great. I would be tempted when i finally finish my office to buy the large L Shaped one but they are loads more money.

Soldato
No I haven’t I’ve been lazy.
Well I built it this morning, started at 7:00AM and finished at about 9:30AM. I've had it over a week lol. I didn't bother attaching the accessorises or the wheels and the lifting mechanism works fine.

Its true what say about using an electric screwdriver for the screws, the tiny screwdriver that comes with it has chaffed the skin of my middle finger. Just have to get used to it now.

Soldato
Well I built it this morning, started at 7:00AM and finished at about 9:30AM. I've had it over a week lol. I didn't bother attaching the accessorises or the wheels and the lifting mechanism works fine.

Its true what say about using an electric screwdriver for the screws, the tiny screwdriver that comes with it has chaffed the skin of my middle finger. Just have to get used to it now.
Thanks for that mate, how have you been finding it?
I noticed some of the larger versions have the top as two pieces, I wonder if this will cause any stength/stability issues with them.

Soldato
Thanks for that mate, how have you been finding it?
I noticed some of the larger versions have the top as two pieces, I wonder if this will cause any stength/stability issues with them.
No problem with the desktop being in two pieces. Here's the review I left on Amazon regarding assembly...

"I wasn't looking forward to assembling the desk and it took me about 2.5 hours to assemble it. That was without the accessories which I don't need. Just have the motor connected to raise or lower the desk.

I mainly followed the supplied instructions but referred to the video on a couple of occasions. The screws are in numbered bags and the instructions tell you which bag you need at each stage of assembly.

The only problem I had was when trying to fit two of the screws, there's a rubber washer type thing over these particular screw holes and the rubber in the hole was preventing me from screwing in the bolt.

So I removed the rubber washers and I was then able to attach the bolts. Didn't really need them as the other two went in without a hitch and would have secured it but I wanted to attach them anyway.

Only other thing was four of the bolts were a bit harder to screw in than the others. I thought I was using the wrong screws but then realised I hadn't tightened them up fully.

Overall its not a process I would want to go through again and am glad the desk is now fully assembled."

DELpljO.jpeg

CLyQs8J.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom