US: Star Trek: Discovery

R3X

R3X

Soldato
He did say he wont be captaining a starship, will be a very different picard the one set 20 years later from nemesis and a very different trek series then before.

Still reading and figuring out scripts and stories though from what he said.

Soldato
Good start to the new series.

haha, you clearly didn't watch the same episode I did..

Here's a few highlights:

Child Spock, with possible emotional issues, which they insinuate has previous with Michael..
Killing the mansplaining guy in the pod - nice touch there(same guy that got spat on in the lift?)..
Extra long special effect sequence with the Pods, for no other reason than they can.
Didn't kill the extra, red shirt, on the away mission - I always thought this was a thing.. ;)
Michael Burnham Hero, womansplainer, Insuboardinator - started the war last season killing lots of people..
Bad attempt at humour in the lift..
Tilly..

I'm not bothering with this any more, It's still Michael centric when I thought that they were going to make more even - I just don't like the character at all. Still the social justice stuff there, I was going to give it more time but this episode is enough to see that it hasn't changed.

I can't see this getting a third season, they lost money on it last season and I think they'll lose more this one.

Soldato
haha, you clearly didn't watch the same episode I did..

Here's a few highlights:

Child Spock, with possible emotional issues, which they insinuate has previous with Michael..
Killing the mansplaining guy in the pod - nice touch there(same guy that got spat on in the lift?)..
Extra long special effect sequence with the Pods, for no other reason than they can.
Didn't kill the extra, red shirt, on the away mission - I always thought this was a thing.. ;)
Michael Burnham Hero, womansplainer, Insuboardinator - started the war last season killing lots of people..
Bad attempt at humour in the lift..
Tilly..

I'm not bothering with this any more, It's still Michael centric when I thought that they were going to make more even - I just don't like the character at all. Still the social justice stuff there, I was going to give it more time but this episode is enough to see that it hasn't changed.

I can't see this getting a third season, they lost money on it last season and I think they'll lose more this one.

Felt similar, just didn't grip me at all.

Just pointless over the top "dangerous" special effect scenes just because they got a bit of budget to use. Also like you, just can't stand Michael as a character at all. Nearly everything's got to go through her.

Caporegime
I enjoyed it, but I agree with others about Michael. She’s so cringeworthy.

Sonequa Martin Green is a terribly wooden actress and as Burnham, she always talks stern faced and over dramatic like she’s the font of all knowledge, she has all the bright ideas, always saves the day and all the other characters constantly seem to have lines about how great she is. Really, really jarring. Let someone else have a bit of the limelight ffs.

Soldato
I quite enjoyed it.

Sure it has flaws, flaws that have been constantly pointed out over and over and over and over again since S01E01, ok, we get it. Michael and Tilly are terrible, we know !! :D
But as an opener and a sci-fi spectacle, S02E01 was certainly 'not too shabby'.

Man of Honour
At least it was pike who ended up rescuing Michael. I had visions of her miraculously making it out on her own. Hopefully they start to pull the focus away from her.

Soldato
Pike character and actor were great...

I did think it would have been the engineering woman from the asteroid and her robot mates that were going to end up saving her but Pike to the rescue

Soldato
laughs - Im watching TNG for the first time (only really started enjoying Trek due to the new films, and even then they went down hill fast after the 1st one) in conjunction with Season 2 .

Actually think both TNG and STD are both cringe worthy for different reasons (although I give TNG a little bit of credit because its ~30 years old or whatever)...not a huge fan of Michael or Tilly but for "switch your brain off and enjoy" tv its not too bad....will see how the next few episodes go

Caporegime
Oh man as much as I enjoyed the first season of STD (lol) the first episode of the new series really went for the forced humour approach. Tilly was even more insufferable than last season and I would go as far to say acted out of character with how "sassy" she was. The scenes between her and the albino spore doctor were just awkward as were some of the bridge scenes. The scene where they got in the lift with the aquatic alien as the primary set piece was simply painful... are we supposed to accept that said aquatic alien just sneezes a wad of goo randomly in someones face and said someone is just fine with it? Ugh, sloppy writing and so avoidable. :(

I hope they tone that down for the coming episodes... :o

Soldato
The first season of TNG is SO bad, I'm still surprised to this day that it got renewed :D
Glad it did tho !!
Havent seen that much improvement in the 2nd series as yet (I think they have just changed the credits midway through the season...but maybe Im mistaken...I use the "skip intro" which used to end just before "created by Gene Roddenberry" for 1 1/2 series....now the end marker is after that graphic lol)

Just finished the simulated wargames ,,, Data is frustrated at having to "draw" with the alien strategist, everyone else sees it as a "win" lol

Back
Top Bottom