Star Trek Online

Man of Honour
OP
Havent played since before Christmas, but a few things to mention -

- Ground Combat was pretty rubbish in the beginning and was one of my main worries (along with a lot of previews written about the game). But it has been much improved recently with features such as rolling, an "aim" mode and better team tactics.

- Shields have had a graphical upgrade on ships and space combat is very very cool now! The pace is slow and each fight really does feel epic. Of course, pacing might change and there does seem to be a little bit too much combat.

- The tutorial is actually fun and the voice over by Zachary Quinto works really well.

- Teaming is much easier than it was in Champions with the option for solo or team play when you arrive at a star system.

- Adding to my opinions on teaming, deep space encounters are sooooo much fun. Lots of federation ships warping in and fighting dozens of Klingon ships.

- I haven't gotten to the high level content (I want to keep it for release), but I did warp in to fight some Dominion ships. I got killed pretty quickly, but it was fun nonetheless.

- The genesis content hadn't been added while I was playing, so this is still an unknown for me.

All in all, STO is shaping up to be good and a lot better than I was expecting. It also runs better than Champions did, maintaining 60fps constantly on my setup (the older setup that isn't my sig - with a 4870X2 and the Q9550 at stock).

Soldato
Cheers rave that was exactly what i was looking for. Another question though, how is the exploration side of things. I was very interested to hear you could travel to places other players will have never visited as planets etc would be dynamically created. In essence the universe would never end, is this still true?

Man of Honour
OP
Cheers rave that was exactly what i was looking for. Another question though, how is the exploration side of things. I was very interested to hear you could travel to places other players will have never visited as planets etc would be dynamically created. In essence the universe would never end, is this still true?

Yes, kind of, but it will be generated on Cryptics side and uploaded to the server. So we wont have content generated individually for us, but it is unlikely we would encounter the same planet as our friends. The genesis system still isn't live though.

Soldato
I'm unimpressed by the beta - combat is just too clunky especially the ship based bits which are so slow and boring.

I suspect this will only appeal to fans of the TV series.

Man of Honour
OP
I'm unimpressed by the beta - combat is just too clunky especially the ship based bits which are so slow and boring.

I suspect this will only appeal to fans of the TV series.

But that is how it should be. They are big starships, not fighters. It certainly shouldn't be as deep and simulation based as Klingon Academy or Starfleet Command, but Cryptic have found a good balance imo.

However, they do need to add dorsal and ventral shields since the environment is 3D, but functions as a 2D environment.

Associate
Is this subscription free? I don't even contemplate playing a game if it has a monthly fee and I can find no mention of the fees anywhere.

edit: Q: Will a monthly fee be required to play?
A: We haven't decided on pricing plans yet.

That means yes then :D I'm out.

Soldato
Ordered the game, the space fights look like fun although the ground fighting looks major ass. I got the game that gives me a beta key so I'll try beta, if it's poop I'll just sell the game unopened. Hopefully isn't poop though!

Soldato
Ordered the game, the space fights look like fun although the ground fighting looks major ass. I got the game that gives me a beta key so I'll try beta, if it's poop I'll just sell the game unopened. Hopefully isn't poop though!

or just cancel the pre order, thats what ive always done . :D

Soldato
Im waiting to see what the beta feels like before i fork out my cash for this, espically since mass effect 2 is out near the same time, so will be on tomorrow at 7pm?

'January 6 @ 11:00 am PST to 8:00 pm PST
January 9 @ 10:00 am PST to January 11 @ 10:00 am PST
January 12 - Open Beta Begins!! '

Back
Top Bottom