Star Trek: Picard

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Where was Geordie in all of this?

Out of universe - LeVar Burton was probably filming "Definition Please" when production on STP was happening.

In-universe - Geordi does get name-checked by Zhaban early in the series, when he wonders why Picard doesn't round up the old Enterprise crew (Picard noting that they'd all follow him right into danger without question, and he didn't particularly want people around who would gladly kill themselves to save him the way Data did). He's seen in the Picard: Countdown comic series working at the Utopia Planitia shipyard on constructing the ill-fated rescue fleet in 2385.

I must have fallen asleep as well, how did the Romulan sister bird end up on the Borg cube, I thought she was with the fleet.

Nope. We saw her beam away, we never saw where she beamed to.

How did the Romulan guy know where they were going and use the transwarp conduit.

Probably because he's a Romulan intelligence officer, and they're good at that sort of thing ;)

Also, next time Picard/Troi/Riker meet up, Troi will know straight off the bat that Picard is now synthetic, how much of that will change peoples interaction with him..

It might change how empaths interact with him. Everyone else won't see a difference.

Soldato
Out of universe - LeVar Burton was probably filming "Definition Please" when production on STP was happening.

In-universe - Geordi does get name-checked by Zhaban early in the series, when he wonders why Picard doesn't round up the old Enterprise crew (Picard noting that they'd all follow him right into danger without question, and he didn't particularly want people around who would gladly kill themselves to save him the way Data did). He's seen in the Picard: Countdown comic series working at the Utopia Planitia shipyard on constructing the ill-fated rescue fleet in 2385.

Name checked perhaps, but in a series that's so focused on Data and giving his character closure it's criminal that Geordie wasn't part of it given their relationship.

If LeVar wasn't available for the show they should have either postponed it until he was or wrote a different story.

Caporegime
It's because it's based 99% from nemesis and written mostly by persons with no comprehension of the previous.

Someone went onto detail about it on YouTube but it makes so much sense. The writers are not Trekucated just writing generic teen action drama

Soldato
You know what would have been a better ending. Use that synth body that was being prepared and use the data consciousnesses (seemed intact with memories) that was in the machine that picard shut down at the end and actually put his soul back in that new body that picard got instead. Then data finally got his wish to be human albeit a older looking one perhaps. Remove the whole picard dying part of the show and then the friends can grow old together in their final years.

End scene.

Would have loved something like that.

Also if thinking it would spoil datas sacrifice i can bring up spocks death and resurrection in the films as thats basically what happened in nemesis, but with data and picard instead of kirk and spock. Which i actually just realised lol thinking about it. Bringing spock back was a good thing. Bringing data back and granting his wish to be human would have been a good thing too.

Soldato
You know what would have been a better ending. Use that synth body that was being prepared and use the data consciousnesses (seemed intact with memories) that was in the machine that picard shut down at the end and actually put his soul back in that new body that picard got instead. Then data finally got his wish to be human albeit a older looking one perhaps. Remove the whole picard dying part of the show and then the friends can grow old together in their final years.

End scene.

Would have loved something like that.

Also if thinking it would spoil datas sacrifice i can bring up spocks death and resurrection in the films as thats basically what happened in nemesis, but with data and picard instead of kirk and spock. Which i actually just realised lol thinking about it. Bringing spock back was a good thing. Bringing data back and granting his wish to be human would have been a good thing too.

Indeed, given the body was meant to be for Soongh, would have perfectly explained Spiners years and Data being older.

Soldato
Nobody forced you to watch it, or the upcoming series 3 Discovery.

Granted there were parts of the story that went in different directions than I'd have preferred. I feel saddened by the smoking, drinking and swearing - especially as my son watches it with me, and it no longer feels like a vision of the future to aspire to. But I'd much rather they made it than didn't.

If I hadn't watched it, my opinion would be a bit lacking. I don't think I'll be watching series 3 of STD.

Personally I'd rather they made something good, instead of something bad. I don't feel I should be grateful for crumbs. It's not up to me to watch bad shows to keep the producers happy, it's up to them to make shows good enough that people want to watch.

Associate
Indeed, given the body was meant to be for Soongh, would have perfectly explained Spiners years and Data being older.

I think they couldn't go that route, ironically for the same reason Spock died in Khan. The actors didn't want to play the part anymore. Nimoy later changed his mind.
Spiner, 20 years ago figured you can't have Data visibly getting old, receding hair, packing spare tyre so had Data killed off. Probably wasn't a satisfying goodbye for the character so agreed to come back for this to do it properly. If Picard was only for one season then maybe having him in the Soong body, but then Data has always said having a finite time to live is a big part of being human. Knowing he was already dead I think he was ready to die and leave that simulation. Plus seeing Data without makeup just feels wrong.
Data viewed Geordie as his best friend but Picard was certainly more of a father figure to him so I'm not fussed at him not being there for his death. If you were dying and they were still around would you want your mate or one of your parents next to you?

That scene was brilliantly written, it's odd how at times disjointed the series could be writing wise. When it needed to deal with exposition and plot points it could get a little clunky trying to move things along at times. When it had quiet character moments it could be superbly written. I wonder if it just needed more time to polish up? The first episode for example was a gem.

Like I said, I think they've started ok with some great bits and some not so. I'm up for them nailing it next time round.

Just realised, we only got to see the Ent-D once :(
Figured for sure that'd come back as they rebuilt all Ten Forward and that sort of set on shows get's re-used (Picards villa set in the holodeck for example).

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's because it's based 99% from nemesis and written mostly by persons with no comprehension of the previous.

Someone went onto detail about it on YouTube but it makes so much sense. The writers are not Trekucated just writing generic teen action drama
Definitely seems that way. I mean if you take away the nostalgia what exactly are we left with?

Caporegime
Definitely seems that way. I mean if you take away the nostalgia what exactly are we left with?
I think a lot of it is nostalgia and remembering the good episodes of TNG, Voyager and DS9 and forgetting some of the woeful episodes, especially in earlier seasons. Let us try to cast out the memory of Dr Crusher being 'romanced' by a noncorporeal entity from TNG Season 1.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I think a lot of it is nostalgia and remembering the good episodes of TNG, Voyager and DS9 and forgetting some of the woeful episodes, especially in earlier seasons. Let us try to cast out the memory of Dr Crusher being 'romanced' by a noncorporeal entity from TNG Season 1.
Thing is, when TNG got so much right it was easy to take a filler here and there. But ST: Picard gets a lot more wrong than right imo. Orville does a much better job for example.

I will admit, when I watch DS9 and even Voyager I am happy to skip certain episodes. But I never skip any when watching TNG, even though there are a few stinkers. Relative to TNG pretty much every episode of Picard is a stinker. Hopefully that changes in season 2.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
"Sub Rosa" was in season 7, not the first season :)

Crusher's only brush with a non-corporeal life form in S1 was in "Lonely Among Us", and there was no romance involved.
I was thinking that. The spirit one was in her grans house in S7 as I recall.

Do you know all the episode names of the top of your head or something? :p

Soldato
Thing is, when TNG got so much right it was easy to take a filler here and there. But ST: Picard gets a lot more wrong than right imo. Orville does a much better job for example.

I will admit, when I watch DS9 and even Voyager I am happy to skip certain episodes. But I never skip any when watching TNG, even though there are a few stinkers. Relative to TNG pretty much every episode of Picard is a stinker. Hopefully that changes in season 2.

This is what I've been saying from the beginning. When you only have ten episodes, when you only have one storyline, you have to hit every nail on the head. There is no 25 show episodic structure where you can have a duff episode now and again and forget about it next week. Kurtzman Trek and the constant revolving door of showrunners is simply not up to the job. We knew that from STD, but I think we all got misty-eyed over seeing the TNG crew come back and got more hopeful than was warranted.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Recently watched the final episode and I couldn't help feel a little disappointed. The Zhat Vash seemed to be going to some extreme lengths to kill all synths including the Mars incident. However a quick speech from Picard and turning off the dooms day beacon and they are suddenly all chill and can go on their merry way. Like, for all these years did they not consider the option of just talking to the synths?!? "Hey Synths, if you don't kill us, we won't kill you, ok m8?"

Also considering how many go mad to join Zhat Vash, how do they have enough members to man 250 ships? or were those "regular" Tal Shair ?

The closing scenes of the crew was a bit cringe. Did everyone forget that Dr Jurati is a cold blooded murderer and when did Seven get intimate with Raffi?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom