Star Trek : Strange New Worlds

Soldato
without getting to much into the relationship drama stuff - Spock will probably end up dumping nurse Chapel (amicably, but deciding it's not worth it ultimately) - as that would be the best way to explain their somewhat distant relationship in TOS (with her still in love with Spock - although this was clearly not intended by the original writers, that they had a previous relationship). If you think about it, it doesn't really make Spock a more interesting character, nor does it serve the plot if they remain (sort of) together.

Regarding cpt Pike, I think there's going to be quite a lot of death on the Enterprise in the next 2-3 series, as he mentions in the pilot of TOS that he wants out of the service because it has been weighing heavily on him.

Last edited:
Soldato
I do wonder if they will do a revamp of TOS when Pike gets melted. They already have the ship (And looks fantastic in my opinion a great blend of the original ship and modernised but recognisable tech) Kirk (I think Paul Wesley does a great job as Kirk and has that cocky/smarmy/sterness of Shatner), The character that plays Spock is good (No Nimoy but still good) chapel (OOhh Kirk could go for her making a bit of drama :D ) Wasnt a fan of Scotty in the recent eps so could see a recast and Uhuru is pretty decent although (And this is because of her being fresh(ish) out of the academy) she is a bit keen where as Nichelle Nichols was very sullen, even seductive and i dont believe we have seen Bones Character yet but didnt he come onto the Enterprise when Kirk took the helm?

But god no, please let the discovery crew try to get home via another wormhole and it screws up and makes them all into anamorphic blobs and et fini.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yesh Kirk has options lol, he's a 'free willy' so to speak, as he's not a captain.

They need to get him to dump the Carol we keep hearing about, then he's free to unleash the inner Shatner..

In all likelihood though, he will end up with La'an, who presumably gets killed at some point (or maybe just leaves Starfleet), making Kirk into the somewhat regretful, lonely, misogynistic character we see in TOS. I don't make the rules...

It conforms to the idea that anyone in a red shirt (security staff) in Trek is expendable to the writers.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yesh Kirk has options lol, he's a 'free willy' so to speak, as he's not a captain.

They need to get him to dump the Carol we keep hearing about, then he's free to unleash the Shatner within.
I am pretty sure that she dumps him and devotes her life to research (And later the Genesis Project) and raising David away from Kirk.

Soldato
I am pretty sure that she dumps him and devotes her life to research (And later the Genesis Project) and raising David away from Kirk.
Either works.

Maybe the writers have switched the reality, to one where Kirk is capable of having normal, long lasting relationships with women, not just 1 offs with random green girls ;).

Last edited:
Soldato
Personally for me it has been one of the best seasons of Trek in a long time.

The musical episode was fantastic and really well done, the plot reasons and explanation for the music were perfectly Trek and the song lyrics themselves were very well developed and helped expand the characters emotions and feelings. Also for an hour episode only 31 mins was actually singing.

Soldato
ok season overall, I think season 1 put itself together better and felt more like a coherent whole despite being ep of the week.
Stand outs were obviously episode 8 which has to be one of the best Trek eps ever, but I was really disappointed with the musical (ep9) and felt them tying themselves to a 'plot' actually prevented them from going all out. The finale was fine, problem with an enemy like that is that it just feels a bit like a poor Alien rip-off, also the CME talk felt like basic Starfleet knowledge no? and id rather they didn't end with a cliff-hanger.

Still I like the crew, they have made a lot more side characters likable (though Number 1 is an issue...).
Whoever casted Ethan Peck as Spock deserves a raise, what an incredible performance.

Overall I love that this show exists, the quality is still way above anything we have had in a long time (including the movies) and happy with how they are not taking it too seriously despite some disappointing episodes this season.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Finally caught up on the second half of season 2. Not gonna bother doing an individual breakdown of each episode, just got a few thoughts.

The Good

The cast, both regular and guest.
I love that the showrunners had the balls to do both the Lower Decks crossover and the musical episode.

The Bad

I said this in the Lower Decks thread:

Even SNW, as good as it is, often feels to me like it's trying to replace TOS.

And I stand by that. Between the huge aesthetic changes, the changes made to characters already seen in TOS, the changes made to whole races...I know I said after "Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow" that the showrunners had an 'out' now with the attempts to change the timeline referenced in that episode, but they're still blithely insisting that this is the same universe as TOS, TNG et al.

The Kurtzman

Very, very bored of the Gorn arc. Quite apart from the continuity snarl with TOS they're just not that interesting as presented in SNW. They weren't that interesting in TOS either to be fair - the fleshing out of them in the Star Fleet Universe tabletop games was rather better.

Back
Top Bottom