Star Trek : Strange New Worlds

Soldato
That video is horrendous. I liked the video idea, but clicking into it, it's just the presenter on non-stop send. Give us an introduction into the clip and your comments/thoughts after by all means, but why talk over the clip telling us what they are saying - just play the clip!!!

I hate videos like this and have no idea why a lot of channels do this.
True, I think they do it to keep it short, but also, maybe they'd rather tell you what happened in each clip, than show, because they're not interested in letting the viewer make up their own mind, and would rather discuss their own viewpoints.

Last edited:
Soldato
It serves more as a brief introduction. Tbh there's many more examples of outdated behaviours and attitudes towards women in the series, so viewers might as well just watch the first couple of series and make their own minds up.

In the 60s, it seems as though there was a commonly held belief that men and women were simply different, true equality between the sexes was still novel and something to be joked about. 'Boys will be boys' is how I would describe Star Trek TOS. Unless they are a Vulcan, then you just get sarky comments :D

Worth pointing out that female members of the TOS crew and women generally on the show are comparably more likely to flirt and also, I think it was just that kind of show...

An excellent series to watch though, if you are interested in how things have changed since the mid 60s. Roddenberry himself was a womaniser, so no doubt this had an impact on the characters he wrote, particularly Kirk and Captain Pike- It sometimes comes across as wish fulfilment - also a theme of the pilot episode.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it would need a fair bit of rewriting if they did a remake of TOS era Trek with the Strange New Worlds cast (assuming Kirk becomes captain as before). The show's characters are simply too different to the original.

I think there would probably be sufficient appetite from the SNW audience and the show has been well received compared to other recent Trek shows, just come up with some 'wibbly wobbly, timey wimey' explanation for a slight divergence in the time line and they'd be set.

Last edited:
Associate
Just caught EP10, what a fantastic episode, classic ST in my book. So who in their right mind, knowing they could do this level of an epsiode, decided, I know we'll do a musical.

Soldato
So who in their right mind, knowing they could do this level of an epsiode, decided, I know we'll do a musical.
I think they were probably trying to appeal to people other than the Trekkie stereotype depicted in 1986 here:

Here is a relevant statistic about Star Trek fans:
in a 2006 survey of 1516 participants, "78% were male, 22% were female". Link here:
https://trekmovie.com/2006/09/24/the-myth-of-the-star-trek-fan/

And 5 of the main cast are women, compared to in TOS where men played all the leading roles.

Last edited:
Associate
Well given the prior dozen or whatever films and the what must be dozen+ series and spinoffs managed to survive without resorting to a musical, I'm pretty sure this one would have been fine without it too. Silly decision if it was to appeal to women. What next, Barbie 2 - Vin diesel takes on Ken in a knife fight to the death to "appeal to a more mature drama audience".

Films and series have genres and demographics for a reason, not everything does, or indeed should, appeal to everyone. I don't like period dramas, having an Gorn type alien ship drop into an episode of downton abbey might make it marginally more interesting for me, but the core audience isn't going to like it one bit.

Women in leading roles is an entirely different thing, it merely highlights and corrects what was wrong previously.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it was quite a concise way to develop the characters, it worked well as a one off. Plot is king though, I'd like SNW to focus on interesting episodic stories. Star Trek is at it's best when it asks big philosophical or societal questions.

Wouldn't mind a bit more singing from Christina Chong /La'an though, easy on the ears and the eyes ;). Seriously though, quite a soothing and expressive voice - The actress says working on SNW has really helped her musical career, according to Spotify.

Generally, it's not a very 'blokey' soundtrack, but few musicals are.

Last edited:
Associate
I highly enjoyed that entire season. Including the musical one (c'mon lighten the **** up!).

Picard s3 and SNW s2 have been two of the best consecutive seasons of trek we've had in decades. Hopefully they'll get a season of Legacy green lit and long may this purple patch continue.

Soldato
Any point in Startrek discovery though? seems like a dead end show narratively. Just gonna lead to startrek academy, another spinoff which I dont care about.

I think the show became pointless when they split it off from the timeline of all the other series.

Last edited:
Soldato
They could conceivably bring back the discovery crew to the time of the SNW crew, the more popular and better show.

And do lots of crossover EPs. Might be annoying though tbh.

I don't think they can do better than that, in terms of recovering the show.

Last edited:
Soldato
Maybe the Discovery will disappear into a giant Gorn anus forever, one can only hope.

It's mission, to explore strange new orifices.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom