Star Trek : Strange New Worlds

Soldato
♪The secrets you keep safe inside, might keep you awake and cut like a knife♪

Maybe a clue about M'Benga's guilt there. The way this episode was written though, maybe the writers were just trying to keep things open ended.

Last edited:
Soldato
Holy crap, episode 10 was fantastic!

Even though it was dark, it was so much better than the M'Benga ptsd episode.

So much stolen from Alien, even down to the alien tail coming from the ceiling, to the humans as host.

Hell of a stretch that from a crew of thousands, only Chapel was saved.

And Scotty!

Great season and nice cliffhanger!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll stick it all in a spoiler just in case
Hmmm... not sure the gorn feel right, bit too 'futuristic' imo.
Nurse chapel clearly wasn't going to die, she was on Kirk's enterprise... but agree about the fact she was the only one to survive.
Pikes girlfriend being infected was predictable
Why didn't they detect spock/chapel in space when they could find all the humans on the planet quicker than enterprise could when they knew where to look

Absolutely hate ending a seasons like this, now it's unlikely this won't get another season but it's damned annoying none the less.
Hate to say it but M'benga, other kirk, singh and ortega are all kind of expendable if you look at the cannon from TOS.....same goes for una

Can't say I like the recasting for scotty either if I'm being honest.

Soldato
I'll stick it all in a spoiler just in case
Hmmm... not sure the gorn feel right, bit too 'futuristic' imo.
Nurse chapel clearly wasn't going to die, she was on Kirk's enterprise... but agree about the fact she was the only one to survive.
Pikes girlfriend being infected was predictable
Why didn't they detect spock/chapel in space when they could find all the humans on the planet quicker than enterprise could when they knew where to look

Absolutely hate ending a seasons like this, now it's unlikely this won't get another season but it's damned annoying none the less.
Hate to say it but M'benga, other kirk, singh and ortega are all kind of expendable if you look at the cannon from TOS.....same goes for una

Can't say I like the recasting for scotty either if I'm being honest.

What do you mean, the Gorn were done so well in TOS:

Weird how spock just accepts Chapel is somehow still alive, where's his famous probability calculation on that :D

Last edited:
Associate
I thought this series was some of the best Trek in years. Yes, there were a couple of not so great episodes, but there were some absolute stinkers in all the older series too. The singing episode is getting a lot of hate (some of it justified), but at least they tried something a bit different. The crew feel like a crew, rather than Discovery that is the Burnham show with a few cameos.

Soldato
Would anyone not want SNW to lead to a remake of the original series?

Seems to me that there are a lot of episodes that would benefit hugely from a modern update.

I think it would be good as long as they stick to the plot, at least >90% of the time.

MpUI8mZVahRtqRG239xRvwRzupgKRjEkXkeY30hc04o.jpg
trouble-with-tribbles.gif

Just look at the detail on those antennae.

It had quite a good budget for a tv series also...

I think one thing they'd need to change would be the short skirts, immediate flirtation with the nearest humanoid female (except for Spock) and more protective attitude towards women, women aren't really considered equals in some episodes, more a distraction for the lads on board.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Kyo

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
I thought this series was some of the best Trek in years. Yes, there were a couple of not so great episodes, but there were some absolute stinkers in all the older series too. The singing episode is getting a lot of hate (some of it justified), but at least they tried something a bit different. The crew feel like a crew, rather than Discovery that is the Burnham show with a few cameos.

My thoughts too, one of the few recent shows that really hit the mark of the OG. Discovery is a perfect example same studio and production but got it so so wrong.

Soldato
Decent ending, huge tone shift compared to last weeks episode, had to double check IMDB if we were getting another episode or if that was the finale of the season with the 'to be continued' at the end. With the writers strike and plenty of the cast actively out on the picket does make me wonder when we'll get the next season.

Soldato
Maybe it would make sense to shoot it in two parts so they can get the 1st part ready for release in 2024.

5 more episodes is better than 0.

Last edited:

Kyo

Kyo

Soldato
OP
Have to say, the SFX in episode 10 were top notch.

yeah puts some big budget productions to shame. Very impressed with the visuals. Compare that to some of the awful effects and CGI in other Superhero TV and Movies (She Hulk, Secret Invasion - last episode was a mess, recent The Flash, Thor Love and Thunder, Dr Strange 2 etc etc)

Last edited:
Soldato
Haha, this video is pure gold:

Kirk - 'Mr. Spock, the women on your planet are logical. That's the only planet in the galaxy that can make that claim'

So it's the same Kirk in Strange New Worlds, is it?

Spock makes a totally logical joke about a female yeomen enjoying being attacked by an evil horny Kirk :cry:

In the pilot, Pike says he 'can't get used to having a woman on the bridge', but is totally fine with it in SNW. The list goes on...

The same young woman is later suggested to have 'very strong female drives', e.g. this could be interpreted as saying she thinks about sex a lot!

Number 1 is said to fantasise about Captain Pike according to the aliens natives on the planet.

The guy who did the video was wrong though, I think we can see Star Trek was not a kids show!

Last edited:
Soldato
That video is horrendous. I liked the video idea, but clicking into it, it's just the presenter on non-stop send. Give us an introduction into the clip and your comments/thoughts after by all means, but why talk over the clip telling us what they are saying - just play the clip!!!

I hate videos like this and have no idea why a lot of channels do this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kyo
Associate
Well at least the last episode was decent. The musical was painful. Can't say I enjoyed the animation crossover much either but the rest of the series was enjoyable.

Now begins the long wait for the conclusion...

Back
Top Bottom