****Star Wars: Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker - Official Thread****

Soldato
I loved Mandolorian in many ways because of its short segmented nature. Every episode had a clear small story. A tight collection of characters, limited exposition and really let the characters shine even if they were only on screen for one episode.

But I accept others have different views.

Soldato
Just finished this film. Complete and utter garbage! The story made no sense, it was as if it had been written by a class of primary school kids! The shame of it is that there are so many excellent star wars novels that they could have drawn upon - a complete waste!

Soldato
I was disappointed with this finale. They dragged out the fight scenes far too long and I found I wasn’t really bothered about any of the characters by the end of it. Also having seen all the cast names beforehand I was all excited that we might see more ghost ex jedis but that wasn’t to be, we only got their voices so I was miffed with that. :(

Soldato
Let's just say, it wasn't great.

Last starwars movie I enjoyed was Rogue one and the Mandolorian has been enjoyable for the most part.

I've never been big on Starwars though, too young to of caught the originals on release and too old to really love the prequels and not criticize them on release.

Soldato
Let's face it, SW hasn't produced a really good film for 35 years. Why woould the latest trilogy be any different? the whole IP must be the most over-hyped of all time, I get it's cultural reach, I get how big it was, I was there. But taking the 9 films as a whole the quality of the content doesn't warrant thet hype it gets.

Soldato
I agree about the films to a certain extent, but some of the EU novels were very good a lot of dross but some great writing. The Timothy Zain’s trilogy was very good. Equally some of the cartoon series although kids TV have been good. Of the recent output Solo, Rogue One and Rebels have all been pretty good. Such a shame Disney have been a poor owner.

Man of Honour
The last time I was genuinely excited during a SW film was when they re-showed the original in cinemas just before the release of the prequels. The atmosphere in the cinema was electric.

Man of Honour
(Posted elsewhere but relevant here)

I saw this earlier and pretty much agreed with everything he said re: the prequels and sequels... especially in the sense of what the sequels were ‘missing’.

Soldato
I agree about the films to a certain extent, but some of the EU novels were very good a lot of dross but some great writing. The Timothy Zain’s trilogy was very good. Equally some of the cartoon series although kids TV have been good. Of the recent output Solo, Rogue One and Rebels have all been pretty good. Such a shame Disney have been a poor owner.

Couldn't agree more. This last one though seems one of the worst.

Soldato
Kathleen Kennedy on the way out and the new trilogy erased?

Obviously the plan to save Star Wars couldn't happen with Kennedy in charge of Lucasfilm, which means when her contract expires in 2021, she is out.

"Nearly a month ago my source notified me that a big meeting had taken place regarding the future of Lucasfilm. Bob Iger and Bob Chapek both participated in the meeting, which is significant, but even more significant was who did not participate in the meeting, Kathleen Kennedy, the head of Lucasfilm," says Doomcock. "I am informed that Kennedy never misses meetings like these and so her absence was notable. One would think a meeting about the future of Lucasfilm would include the head of Lucasfilm, but according to my source, Kennedy did not participate in this meeting."

It's claimed that a few days prior to the big meeting, Kathleen Kennedy had a meeting of her own that lasted an hour and after she left, Kennedy withdrew from contact with underlings.

"A couple of weeks ago, Kennedy's right hand contacted the staff, which is predominantly female, if not exclusively, and reportedly conveyed the following message on behalf of Kathleen Kennedy: 'Miss Kathy has decided she will not be pursuing an extension of her contract, so if any of you wish to stay with her, you best be making your minds up. You have time, there is no need for any rash decisions but Ms. Kathy has plans to open a female-centric production company,'" explains the YouTuber.

Soldato
Whilst disappointed in the newest trilogy overall, they still made $4.3bn in revenue. Hard times :p.

Disney probably see that as 4 billion lost that they didn't make from the movies. Then you've got to include the merchandising, spin-off projects, Disney theme parks, etc that should have been making a lot of money from a revitalised Star Wars, but instead have tanked.

It's not getting any better, so they have to change direction while there's still a franchise to save.

Caporegime
Seen something about that saying that they were considering making the latest trilogy an alternate universe kind of thing, there was even some story-line elements to it with Palpatine using some kind of Mirrors to access other force powers.

Soldato
Watched the "Making of Ep9" Documentary - Just like with GoT Season 8, I feel so sorry for the production crew who yet again did an absolutely amazing job whilst under immense pressure only for all their hard work to be effectively nullified because of a poor story undermining everything.

This news story is just a rehash of YouTuber Doomc*ck's video which has all this info on it from weeks ago, nothing new has been added since.

Caporegime
Watched the "Making of Ep9" Documentary - Just like with GoT Season 8, I feel so sorry for the production crew who yet again did an absolutely amazing job whilst under immense pressure only for all their hard work to be effectively nullified because of a poor story undermining everything.

This news story is just a rehash of YouTuber Doomc*ck's video which has all this info on it from weeks ago, nothing new has been added since.

It seems the new rumor is that it's going to be a 'Lucas Cut'. They just need to leave it, it's done. Move on.

Caporegime
It seems the new rumor is that it's going to be a 'Lucas Cut'. They just need to leave it, it's done. Move on.

What has Lucas ever done a cut that made the film better? Look at the mess he made of the original film with his tinkering, or even the story of how it was saved from his original edit (possibly I linked this in this thread before, I can't remember):

I don't think there will be a better cut coming.

What has Lucas ever done a cut that made the film better? Look at the mess he made of the original film with his tinkering, or even the story of how it was saved from his original edit (possibly I linked this in this thread before, I can't remember):

I don't think there will be a better cut coming.

His wife ate the time saved his ass with the film, Lucas' version was a mess. Honestly i feel like he was Mr 'lightning in a bottle' with SW, then he had the sense to let others direct.

Soldato
His wife ate the time saved his ass with the film, Lucas' version was a mess. Honestly i feel like he was Mr 'lightning in a bottle' with SW, then he had the sense to let others direct.

The best movie by far in my eyes is Empire and if my memory is correct it's the movie he had the least involvement in.

The 'saviour' meme we're seeing people push at the moment is just that, a silly meme regarding a man nearing his 80's who cocked up a lot of earlier material.

The prequels were hit and miss, and compared to the latest trilogy they look great in some respects. I think a lot of people are hoping a guy they shouted and screamed about ten + years ago is going to somehow fix something worse than the prequels they... shouted and screamed about.

The extended universe is what made Star Wars great for me. Games like KOTOR, Jedi Knight etc, the plethora of wonderfully written books! Lucas is a hack when it comes to Star Wars, he hit diamond and it took off but it's at its best without him. Unfortunately Disney managed a new low and screwed things up all by themselves.

Soldato
Lucas was great with world building and pushing VFX but he needed a huge amount of help/luck to make the films successful and, as soon as he realised he could step back a little and let others run with his ideas you get movie gold. Sadly it was followed by a "Lucas does everything himself" phase for the prequels which showed his fairly large limitations off at their worst, so I'm not sure if calling him back to be the lone saviour is the best thing.

Soldato
Whilst disappointed in the newest trilogy overall, they still made $4.3bn in revenue. Hard times :p.
They paid that much for the franchise so they are currently even on a brand that has lost a lot of steam.

They want to make another 4 billion, and rightly concerned that its become much harder than they anticipated.

Back
Top Bottom