Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Caporegime
Obviously, it's the male lead characters that are toxic to the Star Wars universe. Time to write a script for Princess Leia's childhood years.

We need a story showing how she went from sounding like an upper class english woman in the original trilogy, to a mid west american woman with badly fitting dentures in tfa and tlj.

Presumably this movie will have more "White stuff" in it than the battle of Hoth.

Soldato
I genuinely must have missed the one where Leia ever sounded like a posh upper class English woman. Or we have very different ideas about what posh sounds like :p

Caporegime
I genuinely must have missed the one where Leia ever sounded like a posh upper class English woman. Or we have very different ideas about what posh sounds like :p

Her rabbiting about on about Tarkin's 'foul stench" had her very English sounding.

Regardless its a far cry from her accent in the last 2 movies.

Last edited:

v0n

v0n

Soldato
To be fair, the old cast only detracted from the movies. Well, bar Chewy.

Eh? The entire plot of TFA was about finding Luke and handing over the paraphernalia - the laser sword light sabre, Millennium Falcon, Chewie. If you removed old cast from the movies, it would be literally just a short story about how Mary Sue tries various things on and is awesome at it from first try and Hormonal Kylo's tantrums.

Associate
we know all we need to know about those characters - adding more diminishes them.
Do something new, expand the universe, actually write something good, now there's a novel thought.

I 100% agree with this.

What 7, 8 and 9 should have been was to introduce newer characters and help them mature whilst you slowly phase out the rest of the characters through that time so it's been passed over to the new kids (not even necessarily during this trilogy). That way, as the new cast is spread out to newer films and stories, there is investment in them. And if needed, you have the old cast to help push it a little longer until the new cast takes hold.

Now? Han is gone. Leia's actress has passed away (though she would likely have returned in 9). Luke is gone. And no one really cares what happens to the new kids yet. And all they had to do was a rewrite so Luke remained so they could finish passing "any" type of batton to the new kids in 8. But nooooo.... That totally would have been to expectations. But don't worry, so long as you create new characters, a new trilogy, or rewrite existing ones into a whole new light, the people will come anyway, because "Star Wars" right? Well, Solo proved that right didn't it?

Meh. They wrote themselves into a hard corner they can't come out of. Because of an actress' passing, something they still had minor control over at the time wasn't done to undo the corner they got stuck in wasn't done, because 8 wasn't released yet. But anyway, enough of my ranting over that. What's done is done. And Star Wars forevermore as far as I'm concerned is 1 to 7. I can't see 9 being any good unless they are prepared to forgo "professional courtesy" and give 8 (and so Rian Johnson) the middle finger and make it a "Force Premonition" sequence or something. Which they won't do. So again, for me: Star Wars = Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, Revenge of the Sith, A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi, and finally Force Awakens.

And to think that it all could have been so much more... :(

Soldato
Meddling-Monk, personally, I jjust forget TFA as it doesn't really add anything and stick the Prequels, Originals, Rebels and Clone Wars. Just forget the rest even happened. I don't think I'll ever watch TLJ again.

Now, if you want to reinvigorate the franchise, just film the Darth Bane books. They tie in to canon, are full of interesting characters and locations and have two excellent central figures (Bane & Zannah). You don't even have to use real actors. I'd watch a movie of the quality of the game promos based in that era.

Soldato
Psycho didn't need a remake, Ghostbusters didn't need a remake and even The Lost Jedi doesn't need a remake (spelling mistake deliberate). What TLJ needs is to have never been made in the first place. A beautifully and artfully produced sequence of badly executed, bad ideas passing for a plot. Why the hell this script was ever sanctioned is beyond understanding.

I reckon if Disney had made Rogue One and Solo but not Eps 7 and 8 I'd be happier about the outcome than I am now. At least Disney made Rebels which was excellent.

Caporegime
Not really related to this movie, but it ties in with the discussions about fan backlashes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44708983

The actor who played Jar Jar Binks in the Star Wars franchise has revealed how the vicious backlash against the character left him close to suicide.

Ahmed Best provided the voice and motion capture for the gawky CGI alien in the Star Wars prequels, beginning with 1999's Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace.

At the time he was 25, and it was his first major film role.

Sadly for Best, the reception from fans and the media was terrible.

Jar Jar Binks quickly became the most hated character in the Star Wars universe, and critics branded Best's cartoonish portrayal a dumbed-down exercise in child-pleasing - or worse, a racist stereotype with a misplaced Caribbean accent.

Soldato
just watched this the other night after accidentally ordering it. was utter cac. plot meandered all over the place, plot points were drawn out then just dropped, Kylo has got to be the weakest/most inept "threat" ever, that LEia-in-space bit was probably the most godawful ludicrous thing i've seen in decades of film watching, and there was a resurgence of idiocy just to get the under 5s laughing. the design work was top notch as usual, the new AT-M6 looks cracking, and it's a crying shame work like that is wasted on garbage like this.

fez

fez

Caporegime
that LEia-in-space bit was probably the most godawful ludicrous thing i've seen in decades of film watching

Not the bit where it turns out you can just decimate enemy fleets by flying one, yes one of your ship at them in hyperspace. And yes Kylo was an awful bad guy with 0 menace. I said this to some of my friends after the film and they didn't agree with either of these points. I mean its star wars so you have to suspend your sense of disbelief a bit but come on!

Soldato
Not the bit where it turns out you can just decimate enemy fleets by flying one, yes one of your ship at them in hyperspace. And yes Kylo was an awful bad guy with 0 menace. I said this to some of my friends after the film and they didn't agree with either of these points. I mean its star wars so you have to suspend your sense of disbelief a bit but come on!
i'd argue the ship thing was more "logical" as you saw that the whole thing caused a chain reaction. but the design of the big ship was great, and it did....absolutely nowt, so that was a complete waste.

Back
Top Bottom