Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Soldato
Snokes ship or the dreadnought? They both did bugger all. :p
snoke's! the dreadnought at least fired a few bombs and stuff. w/ thebeautiful design work on Snoke's you'd have thought they'd have ripped off the opening sequence of IV for effect/homage - do a long flyover of a Star Destroyer chasing the fleeing cruiser then immediately have that follow, taking about 5 times as long :D

Soldato
No differnet to Vader’s star destroyer that got very easily destroyed by a freighter, a few fighters and a kamikaze A-wing....

Both looked great for their time though.

Associate
i wish they would reanimate the superstar destroyer going into the deathstar, looks so tacky these days.

And you would have thought after the close wars that they'd redesign the stardestroyer to have a secondary bridge

Soldato
My thoughts now I've seen it a few times and read others opinions:

Luke

Ruined and wasted. It’s Luke freakin Skywalker, and he’s given so little time and presence! Him throwing the saber away was ridiculous. I could understand if he was really emotional and dropped it and walked away.

His death was done well I thought. Very poignant with the binary sunset in the background and The Binary Sunset music.

Rey

Total Mary Sue. I was prepared to forgive this if it turned out she was the child of someone powerful, which I think is what JJ was setting up. I suppose he can retcon that in Ep9.

Snoke

Rawr I’m big scary Snoke! Ah crap I’m dead :(

Phasma

See Snoke.

Rose Tico

Just **** off.

Finn

His arc was the same as Ep7. Tries to run > gets persuaded to stick around > does something heroic.

DJ

Love Benicio del Toro, liked the character, and hope he returns.

Canto Bight

Canto Shight more like! Hardly any Luke, and no lightsaber on lightsaber fight, but we get this crap? **** off.

Leia - Mary Poppins

Well, that was terrible. I agree we needed to see her use the force, but that was bad. I would have preferred if she'd reacted instantly on the decompression, and maybe saved a few of the bridge crew, including Akbar. Perhaps held them all in place until a force field could be put up.

Senile Yoda

**** yeah! "Page-turners they are not!"

Kylo

Developed ok.

Knights of Ren

The who of what? Guess they're not a thing now.

Humour

The only humourous part I really didn't like was Rey force pulling the saber in Snoke's thrown room and it hitting her in the head. That was just goofy. Poe trolling Hux I thought was ok as that's Poe's style. The other wisecracks were ok too.

JJ may have been over cautious with 7, but it definitely felt like a Star Wars film. 8 not so much.

In short, Rian needs to meet with some kind of Sarlac related death. That's if his Death Star head will fit.

Associate
i wish they would reanimate the superstar destroyer going into the deathstar, looks so tacky these days.

That's one of the scenes that I feel has dated poorly too, although to be fair that's likely due to suffering in comparison with many that still look excellent. I'd hoped one of the newer revisions would have improved this, but apparently it was more important to add digital eyelids to Ewoks.

Caporegime
One thing that makes me scratch my head is why are people so surprised with Yoda calling down lightning bolts? Its established in episode 4 that when they turn into force ghosts they become more powerful. That's never really had any meaning until now, but seen a lot of comments with people going "wtf". Thats one area i actually agree with what Johnson done, before the "force ghosts" just showed up and talked and all this power they were meant to have never materialised (really made no difference if they were dead or alive considering all they did was talk), now at least it has some actual merit. Yes there's gonna be "what about this or that" and it opens a can of worms in terms of the other movies but going forward it might have some use.

Man of Honour
One thing that makes me scratch my head is why are people so surprised with Yoda calling down lightning bolts? Its established in episode 4 that when they turn into force ghosts they become more powerful. That's never really had any meaning until now, but seen a lot of comments with people going "wtf". Thats one area i actually agree with what Johnson done, before the "force ghosts" just showed up and talked and all this power they were meant to have never materialised (really made no difference if they were dead or alive considering all they did was talk), now at least it has some actual merit. Yes there's gonna be "what about this or that" and it opens a can of worms in terms of the other movies but going forward it might have some use.

I don't think it was intended as direct brute force more powerful - I think the original intention was more like ascended beings with awareness on a greater scale and ability to influence (indirectly) things on a larger scale.

Caporegime
I don't think it was intended as direct brute force more powerful - I think the original intention was more like ascended beings with awareness on a greater scale and ability to influence (indirectly) things on a larger scale.

But all they did was rabbit on as they did when they were alive. Yoda's speech about the force energy surrounding them and binding everything together makes the lightning strike a bit more palatable.

Everything else he did was laughably bad.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its established in episode 4 that when they turn into force ghosts they become more powerful.
well obi said such to Vader, but was that fact or just some pompous blabber? because if all the Jedi can become far more powerful "force ghosts", why didn't they form an army of superpowerful force ghosts to beat the Empire?

Associate
^ It also makes Obi Wan look a bit of a **** in hindsight as TLJ tells us that force ghosts can interact with the world. Leaving Luke comatose on Hoth while appearing only to tell him to get to Dagobah and offering no help. ;)

That's just typical of TLJ though IMO as it has no respect at all for what's gone before.

Back
Top Bottom