Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Associate
Well that title isn't, ominous at all...
I am excited for this film, but only time will tell how its judged by the masses.
Perhaps we'll accept it as another: The Empire Strikes Back.
Or perhaps another: Attack of the Clones.

But to speculate; The title to me suggests that Luke is going to sacrifice himself for the rebellion, leaving General Solo, too bolster the rebellion.
And Rey, to take up the mantel of responsibility as the leader of a new generation of Jedi.
But with Luke's death, it will be the end of an era, of Jedi only using the Light Side of the Force...

- Disney, are on a trend of redefining Star Wars, especially the lore surrounding event's, and how the force, light-sabers are perceived and welded by Jedi/Sith.
Perhaps they will redefine, and Jedi's of the future will use the Light/Dark side of the Force together.

Soldato
I like the title. The Last Jedi fits much better into the naming convention than Force Awakens IMO.

Bit of speculation:

I think it's possible Luke will be very distant in this movie, he'll be the opposite of what Rey expected. I think given the desperation of her situation, the loss of Han, Leia and the Republic's situation, she'll get really frustrated with him and possibly sod off out of sheer frustration. I mean he's lost everything because of what Ben Solo did, Luke himself didn't have the life long training that Obi Wan and other Jedi had and therefore he wouldn't know how to teach the proper way. We know he went looking for the last Jedi temple so I think he'll be more archaic and distant in his approach to training, while she was thinking he'll be some kind of hero who'll save the day.

Oh and another thing, the Sith have got to be introduced at some point IMO. Snoke isn't Sith, I think he could be their pawn. You don't make a new Star Wars without having them involved in some way. They're iconic. We know Benicio del Toro's playing a badguy, maybe his character recognises what Rey is and lures her in by being the hero that she was looking for. While Kylo (we know he struggles with the light) falls away from Snoke and comes face to face with his old master. Or perhaps Luke saves him from the secret Sith who comes (with enticed Rey) to end Snoke? :o The drama! :p

Last edited:
Soldato
Yoda called Luke 'The Last of the Jedi' in ROTJ and the announcement of the title called this the next chapter of the Skywalker Saga so you could read from that it will focus primarily on Luke, which given the ending of TFA would be the most obvious however there are a few different routes they could take so it will be interesting to see what they do with it.

I think he his going to be reluctant to train Rey after what happened with Ben.

Either way I'm really excited as always for this film, I really enjoyed TFA and Rogue one was also brilliant so hoping they do well with this film. Bring on the first trailer.

Soldato
Here's my bonkers theory.

Rey is Luke's daughter. Luke went into exile because he had to sacrifice the other padawans to save his own daughter. He isolated her on Jakku and suppressed her force capabilities/memories to protect her. When he sensed she was in danger he stopped that, which explains why/how she became adept so quickly. Now the question is does he tell her in Episode 8?

Associate
Curious how they'll handle Leia, if her part was already filmed or not.
Guessing that this will be about Luke's backstory and Rey/Kylo's training.

Soldato
Yoda called Luke 'The Last of the Jedi' in ROTJ and the announcement of the title called this the next chapter of the Skywalker Saga so you could read from that it will focus primarily on Luke, which given the ending of TFA would be the most obvious however there are a few different routes they could take so it will be interesting to see what they do with it.

I think he his going to be reluctant to train Rey after what happened with Ben.

Either way I'm really excited as always for this film, I really enjoyed TFA and Rogue one was also brilliant so hoping they do well with this film. Bring on the first trailer.

Going from memory here but doesn't the TFA scrawl say something about hunting down the map to locate the last Jedi, Luke Skywalker. Which further suggests it will be about Luke or certainly his relationship with Rei and/or Ben. We know Ben is conflicted so it could be interesting if part of this will be pulling him back to the lightside. I'm not sure Rei would go to the darkside though, I don't think they have enough time in 2 movies to fully portray that change.

Soldato
Going from memory here but doesn't the TFA scrawl say something about hunting down the map to locate the last Jedi, Luke Skywalker. Which further suggests it will be about Luke or certainly his relationship with Rei and/or Ben. We know Ben is conflicted so it could be interesting if part of this will be pulling him back to the lightside

You are correct, I had forgotten about that. Taken from the crawl:

Luke Skywalker has vanished. In his absence, the sinister FIRST ORDER has risen from the ashes of the Empire and will not rest until Skywalker, the last Jedi, has been destroyed.

I think you are right in the direction they might take this one.

I'm not sure Rei would go to the darkside though, I don't think they have enough time in 2 movies to fully portray that change.

They did it with Anakin :p

Soldato
Yer - but all this "last Jedi" stuff. It's assumed in the original trilogy that it's Kenobi and Yoda and that is it.
However at the same time you have to then assume that Vada successfully hunted down and killed every single one of them.
I still think words such as "last known" or similar would be better used - but only Disney know how they are going to proceed with the storyline.

Back
Top Bottom