Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Soldato
i watched it while getting drunk 2 nights ago..... nah sorry it is a mess, if i was only half off milk im full on off it now :(

just wtf seriously wtf, i wished i watched a good anime instead of wasting hours on that crap....

brought the dvd back downstairs to dad earlier and told him it need's to be burnt with fire or more fitting a laser lol

Soldato
As much as I did enjoy it did seem like all rian Johnson wanted to do was un do any plot that abrams made a path for.

I also thought thinking back luke should have been used better

I got 20 minutes into my second viewing of this last night, i turned it off, something ive not even done with the train wreck that is attack of the clones!

I never thought id see the day i'd not be interested in a SW film but im actually ambivalent to Ep9 now :(

Associate
I think I saw a different film to that guy...although I do agree that the closing image with the boy and the broom was possibly the best moment in the film.

Soldato
I too disagree with the Hulk critics analysis. The film is a shower of ****. A beautiful well, made beautifully filmed, moderately well acted car crash. Kevin J Anderson could write a better story than Rian Johnson, an insult that should have few equals for any writer in my opinion.

Associate
The fact that JJ Abrams came out and said people who didn't like TLJ felt threatened by a strong female lead, suggests he's never watched the originals. There was this character called Leia Organa that had a fairly major role that fans seem to like. Mon Mothma too, whilst not a lead role, she was in a prominent position.

Rian thinks we don't like diversity. Fans of the original like Admiral Akbar and are upset how he's been treated on the new film. We can't get much more supportive of diversity than rooting for a big fish.

Soldato
Did Luke say laser sword?
The rebels should figure out a way to remote control old ships and send them at warp* speed into big imperial ships/ deathstars
Leia does Superman
Teleportation of sorts

RIP Star Wars.

*lightspeed/warpspeed/whatever

Soldato
Throwing it out there as an interesting discussion starter

"If you where given the Force Awakens plot from JJ, and had free reign, given his plot lines in TFA, where would you have gone with it"

I've typed the above without pondering it myself, so will edit with my views later

Soldato
Throwing it out there as an interesting discussion starter

"If you where given the Force Awakens plot from JJ, and had free reign, given his plot lines in TFA, where would you have gone with it"

I've typed the above without pondering it myself, so will edit with my views later

I would have followed up on the questions and plot points left open in TFA. I would not have ****** away Snoke, Rey's parents, or Kylo's obsession/connection with his grandfather Vader. I would have made Kylo more menacing, not as petulant as in TFA. I would not have ****** away Luke's character. I would not have bothered with Rose, and I would have used John Boyega for something with a point. In short, I would have continued the story, instead of just throwing it away and taking a left turn on the plot just because I could. It was totally disrespectful to Kasdan and Abrams to throw it all away.

There was some interesting discussion around the poorly received Thunderbirds film a few years back. The consensus was that Frakes had fundamentally misunderstood the source material, and had failed to give the fans what they wanted. The audience wanted to see International Rescue actually rescue people. Big rescues, lots of mad Thunderbird machines doing their thing, and the Tracey family running it all. Turning it into a poor spy kids film where we never saw any of the machinery completely missed the point.

I feel the same about TLJ. Johnson has fundamentally misunderstood the source material and what the audience wants to see. He's so eager to leave his own mark on everything, to apply his own SJW agendas, that he's lost sight of the story already started in TFA (or doesn't care). He let his own ego get in the way of continuing to tell the story already started, and Johnson was enabled by Kathleen Kennedy who seems to have her own feminist agenda that she's willing to crash into the Star Wars franchise, whether it fits or not. Johnson should never have been allowed to make up his own script, the Kasdan script should have been followed.

Man of Honour
I would not have bothered with Rose, and I would have used John Boyega for something with a point.

Rose felt like a token character to tick some boxes - but could have been worked in with a bigger role in the storyline... rather than just deus ex machina'd in when needed. That is my biggest criticism everything was just contrived in exactly when needed and only served the immediate purpose it was needed for.

Soldato
Think we should start a predictions for Episode 9 thread! I'm keen to understand how fans think the movies should have played out.
I was born in the 70s so the original trilogy were absolutely part of my childhood but, with the exception of Rogue One, each subsequent movie made after Return of the Jedi has diluted my connection with the original films. Maybe it's simply because I was younger so SciFi had a greater allure. Maybe it's because every film since has just been a travesty.

Anyway - I didn't bother with the books or anything else beyond ROTJ. I remember thoughts turning to Luke fighting Vader in black and kids at school saying Luke would take Vaders place but clearly that didn't happen in the films. So how should the timeline have looked?

Soldato
Ep9 should start like the "Back to Reality" episode of Red Dwarf where Duane Dibbley etc get out of the Virtual Reality booths after playing the RD game for the past few years where "Luke" and "Han" etc find themselves waking up after playing the Star Wars game for the past 20 years with Han being an over-weight alcoholic loser with male pattern baldness, Luke is a jaded commander in a fascist army and Leia is a gay man called Mark! :D

Back
Top Bottom