Star Wars VIII : The Last Jedi [WARNING: SPOILERS]

Associate
I've seen all the main Star Wars movies - TPM to TLJ to me is like Windows 8 to Windows 10 - Windows 8 is dumb Windows 10 just takes the mick.

On the other hand it is almost 20 years since I watched the original TPM release I'm not sure what my opinion would be of it today to be fair - the last time I watched it was the fan edit.
In that case don't worry, I wouldn't want to inflict TPM on anyone over 12 years old!

I haven't seen the fan edit, nor have I seen the Despecialized versions of the original trilogy - I'm not sure I'd be able to spot the changes to warrant watching them.

Soldato
nor have I seen the Despecialized versions of the original trilogy - I'm not sure I'd be able to spot the changes to warrant watching them.

you really should - its the only good way to watch the originals.

I'm a bit reluctant to watch TLJ again - i thought it was 'ok' in the cinema but i think i will like it a lot less a second time.
TFA was entertaining and felt like starwars - its just that the plot was a 'starwars' copy (i refuse to call it A New Hope, because thats not what its called :) ).
Rogue one i thought was crap with no likeable characters - it was also really badly edited and i wonder what the directors original cut was like because the 2nd half in particular was a mess.

oh yeah, and the prequels were irredeemable garbage.

Man of Honour
Rogue one i thought was crap with no likeable characters - it was also really badly edited and i wonder what the directors original cut was like because the 2nd half in particular was a mess.

On the one hand they could have done a lot of work on the characters on the other hand it was kind of intended with the plot. The editing especially the last battle could have done with a ton of work but I didn't find anywhere really that I couldn't turn my brain off and just enjoy the spectacle. While TLJ that was impossible my mind was just constantly going "but... that makes no sense... but... that makes no sense... but... what a coincidence... wait what another coincidence already?!" which completely ruined any chance of enjoying it for me.

Soldato
I was lucky enough to see Bob Ducsay, the editor of TLJ give a 30min interview/chat at the Avid booth at NAB last week. Not much insider information, but kinda fun to see. We also saw the editorial team for Stranger Things talk through how they cut a few scenes. Good fun :)

hD7sQFG.jpg

Caporegime
The phantom menace is still a better film overall than the last jedi by a loooooooong way.
For all it's flaws and facepalm moments it feels 50x more like starwars than TLJ.

I Dont know how they could make a good 3rd film now. There's literally no characters left that I remotely care if they live or die. I couldn't care less if the first order conquered the galaxy, don't seem bad to me at all. Equel opportunity employer with nice hats.

I don't get the rogue one hate. That was a great standalone. Decent enough disposable characters, kept inline with the original trilogy, and rebels. A few weird wtf moments, but that's is overlookable.

Associate
The phantom menace is still a better film overall than the last jedi by a loooooooong way.
For all it's flaws and facepalm moments it feels 50x more like starwars than TLJ.

I Dont know how they could make a good 3rd film now. There's literally no characters left that I remotely care if they live or die. I couldn't care less if the first order conquered the galaxy, don't seem bad to me at all. Equel opportunity employer with nice hats.

I don't get the rogue one hate. That was a great standalone. Decent enough disposable characters, kept inline with the original trilogy, and rebels. A few weird wtf moments, but that's is overlookable.

Tell that to the 3 or 4 planets they blew up in Ep7 :p

Soldato
Was anyone else miffed by how small it seemed the Galaxy was in TFA and TLJ. In the prequels for all there failings it gave the impression there was a much larger galaxy but TFA gave a much smaller seeming place the New Republic was.

Man of Honour

Heh with TLJ it is hard not to root for the bad guys LOL - other than that they are portrayed as so incompetent it hurts to think about it even by storm trooper standards.

There is plenty they could do with some of the characters though with a decent script and ignoring most of what was done with them in TLJ.

Rogue One managed to mix in a bit of a nod to the fans while doing something a bit stand alone which helped to redeem some of the not so good bits - while I'm not a Star Wars fan I did appreciate the easter eggs, etc. put in there - I think that is one of (several) reasons I'm so disappointed by TLJ - Rogue One felt like they'd almost got it figured out - a few more tweaks and it would have hit the mark - instead TLJ went 1000 steps backwards in every way other than the visual attention to detail. What I always liked about the original movies was the escapism with TLJ that was completely impossible.

Soldato
jj abrams has always had a problem with distance in space

Yep, it's to do with rushing the scenes. Not just his movies, but in general.

You see, in the older star wars movies we had longer scenes of them chatting whilst flying to their destinations for example. In the news ones, they hit the hyperdrive and in the next scene they are landing on the planet!

Permabanned
Yep, it's to do with rushing the scenes. Not just his movies, but in general.

You see, in the older star wars movies we had longer scenes of them chatting whilst flying to their destinations for example. In the news ones, they hit the hyperdrive and in the next scene they are landing on the planet!

Yeah that's why I love the old star trek movies, lots of dialogue instead of rushed scenes from explosion to explosion.

Back
Top Bottom