• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Starfield CPU performance reviews

I'm not even going to watch the video because it's obvious clickbait, but...

... while CPU overhead would seem to be the obvioius culprit from looking at simple benchmarks, there's more to it than that. Chips and Cheese did an excellent analysis of the actual work done on a 7900XTX and 4090 to render each frame, showing that there are architectural differences that explain the unusual performance delta - for instance the 4090 doesn't have enough registers.

Interesting read thanks, i may have to read it twice tho... :D

It does make one wonder if a games performance leans somewhat on what GPU the game was primarily developed on.

The game is clearly utilising the 7900XTX's higher register thread count, its pixel shaders are higher utilised and able to work faster, did they use AMD GPU's to develop the game on as opposed to the usual Nvidia? Starfield is not the only game with apparently inexplicable AMD performance vs Nvidia, Call of Duty MW II is another.

These two GPU's are ofcourse not equal, Nvidia are better in some aspects, AMD in others and i do wonder if it just depends on which GPU's the dev has in their rigs.
Be that as it may maybe AMD should stuff a lot more studios with their GPU's, i have no doubt Nvidia do that.

Last edited:
It does make one wonder if a games performance leans somewhat on what GPU the game was primarily developed on.

The game is clearly utilising the 7900XTX's higher register thread count, its pixel shaders are higher utilised and able to work faster, did they use AMD GPU's to develop the game on as opposed to the usual Nvidia? Starfield is not the only game with apparently inexplicable AMD performance vs Nvidia, Call of Duty MW II is another.

These two GPU's are ofcourse not equal, Nvidia are better in some aspects, AMD in others and i do wonder if it just depends on which GPU's the dev has in their rigs.
Be that as it may maybe AMD should stuff a lot more studios with their GPU's, i have no doubt Nvidia do that.

A lot of game developers are using laptops these days

So if you want more developers using amd powered systems to make games, AMD needs to start shipping high end laptops that compete with Nvidias laptops

The type of system used does differ by position of the developer as well. Programmers get the best systems and are the ones using high end gaming laptops or sometimes Xeon/Threadripper workstations. Artists use lower end systems equiped with tablets, and people working in audio, marketing, and other back end functions tend to use MacBooks unless they need to test the game

Last edited:
He's a professional click bait troll, we all know why the Nvidia GPU is slower and he even admits it, its because Nvidia's driver overhead is so much higher than AMD's so the Nvidia GPU is so much more susceptible to a CPU bottleneck.
That may explain the 7900XTX/4090 difference but doesn’t explain why a 6800XT is 30% faster than a 3080 as CPU bottleneck shouldn’t be such a factor for cards half the speed of a 4090.

I had to look that up, you're right and its pretty shocking, maybe the game was developed on AMD GPU's.
Either way if that’s the case it’s poor to design a game solely around only one manufacturers hardware especially when less than 1 in 5 people are using that hardware.

Wow, I didn't realise how CPU intensive it was.
I'm using 3700x and 3070ti and I can't get more than 70fps in the first scene. 1440p, tried ultra and low settings and only get about 15fps either way...

I have been playing this on Gamepass PC and it seems to be locked at 60fps for some reason, anyone else have this and know how to fix it ? Quite happy with the performance as its a slow paced game even in the shooting
parts its only AI but would be nice to pass 60 when I can. Vsync is off btw.

I have been playing this on Gamepass PC and it seems to be locked at 60fps for some reason, anyone else have this and know how to fix it ? Quite happy with the performance as its a slow paced game even in the shooting
parts its only AI but would be nice to pass 60 when I can. Vsync is off btw.

Ryzen 5800X @ 4.9Ghz / RTX 2070S 1440P

5BPxVVh.jpg

Rachet and Clank the difference between the 7900XTX and 4090 is actually only about 10%

w49E5II.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom