• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Starfield CPU performance reviews

How many other game worlds have the depth and detail like the ones created by Bethesda? I've seen people recreate Bethesda maps and cities that look infinitely better in the Unreal engine but there just good looking tech demos with no immersion.
Novigrad from The Witcher 3 is one of the most immersive video game cities I have been to and has as many or if not more NPCs than Starfield and also Cyberpunk 2077 which runs better and looks better IMO - granted it's not doing any fancy item tracking like in Starfield.

Can you honestly say that the visuals and tech in Starfield justifies the hardware required to run it?

I am a big Bethesda fan and will play Starfield at some point but I hope they will continue to optimize CPU performance because I'm not upgrading my entire system just for 1 game.

Last edited:
So the only way to get above 60fps in the most demanding areas is to brute force it with the best CPUs available?

Why is Bethesda using their ancient creation engine and not something else like Rage?

Surely there is another engine that can keep track of all the NPCs along with tracking all the items etc and perform better?

I think they'll chuck out their baby approximately never.

They've put out yet another single player game that doesn't cater to frame chasers but yet again the approval ratings are excellent.

If you're a game studio why would you ever gamble the company going bankrupt by starting from scratch if you believe you can keep giving the customers what they really want.

One of the guys from our group started a spreadsheet here with instructions and details that is probably easy to follow if you want to keep track.

HT off 13600k tuned with ddr4

image.png

Def a game where tuned ddr5 on intel pulls away. For reference, a similar tuned 13900k on ddr4 gets 138fps. A slight bump but nothing like ddr5 which is in the 150’s

HT off 13600k tuned with ddr4

image.png

Def a game where tuned ddr5 on intel pulls away. For reference, a similar tuned 13900k on ddr4 gets 138fps. A slight bump but nothing like ddr5 which is in the 150’s
What exact settings is that using? EDIT - Oh, that's the same settings I used for my earlier screenshot.

Last edited:
It’s not. Your camera is in a different position which will impact draw calls. You also seem to be running some type of a LUT given the color palette.
Yeah I did have a LUT mod installed at the time. I just spawned in and didn't touch the mouse from memory. Is there something you are supposed to do when spawning in from their save game?

Yeah I did have a LUT mod installed at the time. I just spawned in and didn't touch the mouse from memory. Is there something you are supposed to do when spawning in from their save game?

Looks like your mouse got nudged before the screenshot. It happens!

If you disable all the mods and copy these settings, you should be like for like:
image.png

Last edited:
Looks like your mouse got nudged before the screenshot. It happens!

If you disable all the mods and copy these settings, you should be like for like:
image.png
Okay, in my last screenshot I had VRS enabled, depth of field enabled and dynamic res off, but the rest were correct.

Changed my settings to match those and still peaking at 140FPS.

Old settings

Btw, I figured out what was wrong with my old screenshot, I was using 110 FOV so I removed the mod. :p @Robert896r1

Last edited:
Benching in a busy city isn't bad, but what we really need is a save game with more.

In fact, even more than the FO4 benching had. We need someone to cheat and build a bit outpost and populate it to the max with NPCs. Then find the spot with the most objects in sight to max out drawcalls and NPC AI scripting.

Any volunteers? (I don't have the game and with Bethesda games I intend to wait for at least one year's with of patches and mods.)

140 is solid. Nicely tuned.
It was mostly in the 136+ range tbh, but did peak higher briefly in parts. :)

Benching in a busy city isn't bad, but what we really need is a save game with more.

In fact, even more than the FO4 benching had. We need someone to cheat and build a bit outpost and populate it to the max with NPCs. Then find the spot with the most objects in sight to max out drawcalls and NPC AI scripting.

Any volunteers? (I don't have the game and with Bethesda games I intend to wait for at least one year's with of patches and mods.)
That last bench was a real pain in the arse. I hope they release a canned benchmark sequence to make things easier.

Last edited:
That last bench was a real pain in the arse. I hope they release a canned benchmark sequence to make things easier.
That's mainly because the original person who started those benches over on the AT forums, replaced the renderer with the ENB one and in the best CPU benchmark tradition then put the resolution down to 480P to put most of the load away from the GPU.

I think a save game with a big outpost with as many NPCs as possible and lots of companions teleported to there, and then merely run at the lowest resolution* the game supports, should do for Starfield.

*Some effects are CPU intensive too, so by all means low resolution but keeping some other settings high.

Any results are all good, but to max out this game I suspect once again requires a heavy investment in CPU, RAM and tuning.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom