Starting swimming, any advice?

Soldato
OP
I'm guessing there's a big difference in the drag?

Does anyone know about the Swimovate Poolmate Pro? The official site says "out of stock until 2016" but it's said that for ages. I wanted to grab that because it's the same size as the Poolmate2, but uploads data. I looked at all the Garmin's etc and they're just huge for my skinny wrists.

Perhaps I could just get the Poolmate2 to count laps. Not being able to look at data would be a shame though.

Soldato
Only the 1 swim this week for various reasons, but today is the nice full hour long sessions. Started off not feeling great but pushed through that and didn't really fade at the end like I did last week.

Last Thursday was 52 lengths, 6 minutes resting, 5x 10 and then just 2 lengths at the end and I was knackered. Today was 56 lengths, 4 minutes resting, 3x 12 and 1x 20.

So continuing to steadily increase the stint lengths, I was kinda aiming for 'only' 12 today as that's 400m (33.3m pool), should've aimed higher really, but still it's an increase and feels like I'm getting close to being able to do a session with no rests...

Soldato
DP swimming in some French pools and my-ex you must wear tight lycra, no casual shorts (and also take a shower before entering), but even in my current UK local, regulars (myself included) posting times like yours all wear lycra. I think a swim cap could give a further boost, at least I always remark that after a hair cut I think I am faster.
The speedo Endurance lycra easily lasts 3-4 years at about 3hrs/week

I will have to invest in the book you recommend

Soldato
Second open water swim session yesterday....What a difference a week makes!

Water temperature was 13c this week, 17c last week. I bought some ear plugs this week as that was the main thing I was told (and read) about that can reduce dizziness getting out of the water. Also, when I got in the water I spent a good 5 minutes just getting used to the temp and letting water in my wetsuit in the neck before starting to swim.

Straight from the off it felt better, I was able to swim and breathe properly and find my rhythm, even got the sighting pretty much spot on too. After each lap I practised running out of the water (as you might in a Tri) and no dizziness at all.

3 x 500m laps was probably enough though as some were saying they were getting numb hands, but I absolutely loved it, I wanted to stay in and do more. :D

Caporegime
Hit the pool on Friday and was a little faster again although it was busy so I was playing musical swimming lanes to find quieter areas to practice.

Biggest difference was that i swam my last 10x25yd set in 4:35, even on Wednesday I only just got a 4:59. A few weeks back i was super happy to get just under 6 minutes, with most sets being 6:10->6:25. so nearly 2 minutes faster!

Take home messages
* The lycra swim jammers are definitely a big factor, my breast stroke was again 10x25yd in 6:09 when normally it would be 7:20-7:40.

* my improvements also come from technique. On Wednesday I was thrilled to see a 5minute set, I got a 4:40 and 4:35 Friday by focusing on technique and the catch. After I got a 4:40 I thought next set I would try super hard and of course my technique went out the window and I had my slowest set of the day, 5:23. next set I thought I would just try and get a good catch and go slower/more comfortable, and of course I got down to 4:35

* The snorkel helps learn about technique but all y sets with the snorkel were actually slower than without any aid, which I think is a good positive. The swim buoy definitely helps.

* I can feel I have a better technique because my arms and deltoid were really starting to burn and they started to become just as limiting as my breathing in setting the pace. This is great because it just means more time working those muscles will see further improvements. I might set up my own HALO bench to do arm workouts at home.

* The better catch is indeed lifting my hips and making breathing slightly easier. I still must have lots of technique issues because my breathing rate goes very high for the pace I set and my known CV fitness.

Soldato
Ha, you lot should try some open water up here. Our club is non-wetsuit only and we've been training in the harbour for the last month. Took my thermapen down last time and measured the water at 9.4 degrees. 20 minutes is my limit at that temperature, mind. Got a race coming up on the 4th of June - just a mile, and hoping it'll warm up a little. Actually it has to, we're not technically allowed to race in anything less than 13 degrees. Had a 2 hour swim in 13 degrees last year and coming out of that I was properly hypothermic.

Soldato
I'm unhappy in anything below 20C really! #toolean

The thought of 1900m in 12-13C next weekend is filling me with dread. Neoprene caps are allowed but gloves and socks are banned. I'm wondering about a full kit change in transition so I don't freeze to death riding in a soaking tri-suit for the bike leg.

Soldato
Is anyone preparing for the Great North swim then ? June 10k Windermere apparently 10k people last year (sounds a bit overcrowded like london marathon) currently 13.3C ?

After reading some of Swim Secrets book and Sheila Taormina video
HALO bench seems an interesting idea 'Finis dryland cords' seem available in the UK, the idea of improving stroke outside pool great -
which colour to get yellow/green/red ? has anyone tried these (from what I have read the bungy cords folks use in gyms are too short in comparison, need to be longer so that resistance is uniform, I tried one arm pull on home rowing machine but too resistant)

.. after thought - on rare visits to gym I had previously asked staff about any machines that were adaptable to work on stroke, best I could find was seated machine, with a a single hand hold to pull down weights via cable, from above head to near waist - could determine comfortable weight for many reps and then get a dryland cord that matched that resistance

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm going to order some Halo tubing in the next days, probably just going for the standard red/medium.

At my gym there is a large stand with weights attached to a pull system that you can change the height on. i mainly use it for doing hip flexor strengthening but on Friday raised the height a little and tried to do some Halo style drills. It worked quite well, unlike the tubing you have a constant resistance which is good.

What i like about the tubing concept is you can eaisly take it with you to the office or when traveling for business etc. And anytime you want to train but can't get to the pool (my pool has very limited public hours). I might by a cheap bench to help simulate a more accurate stroke while at home.

Caporegime
Well, I'm buying in the US.

As you said above, the tunes need to be long enough so the resistance doesn't change greatly as its strectched, otherwise I doubt there is a big difference

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Speedo are currently doing some free 1hr coaching sessions.

http://www.speedo.co.uk/dive-in

I did one yesterday, was oversubscribed really, but still came away with some pointers. (I have a lazy catch apparently

(Some great coaches though, olympians and commonwealth games winners)

Soldato
Did you go to the one at Virgin Active in Derby? I did 2 sessions. 1-2pm and 2:30-3:30pm. Enjoyed them both. As you said, the coaches were great and I picked up some useful tips too. Then spent an hour or so in the Spa. Great afternoon.

Did another open water swim on Saturday. Now up to 2 laps of the marina non-stop which is over 1000m. Did 4 laps in total, roughly 1.4 miles. also practised running from the water and stripping off wetsuit. Really enjoying the open water now.

Anyone entered Swim Serpentine?

Soldato
I saw those and went to sign up but they are all absolutely miles away from me :(

Decided to get myself the new Sony waterproof walkman a few days ago as I think it'll help with longer swims, will post a review when it arrives and I've had the opportunity to test it :)

Soldato
Did my first half Ironman distance tri yesterday.:)

Water temp in the reservoir was 14C on the swim, a bit cooler than I'd like as it messed up my breathing for the first few hundred metres until I warmed up. Neoprene cap was very helpful.

The course was two 950m laps with a tiny Australian exit. Chip time for the swim was 41:38 which I'm pleased with as that is a PB and also I had to breast stroke a few times due to people getting in the way or punching/kicking me!

Soldato
Did my first half Ironman distance tri yesterday.:)

Water temp in the reservoir was 14C on the swim, a bit cooler than I'd like as it messed up my breathing for the first few hundred metres until I warmed up. Neoprene cap was very helpful.

The course was two 950m laps with a tiny Australian exit. Chip time for the swim was 41:38 which I'm pleased with as that is a PB and also I had to breast stroke a few times due to people getting in the way or punching/kicking me!

Nice one! That swim course sounds the same as the Ocean Lava Wales Tri which runs at the same time as the sprint I'm doing at Fishguard.

I think I'm going to have to enter a half or 2 next year. I'm more or less there on the swim, no problems with the bike and with a couple of months training could get up to half marathon distance again.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
Did you go to the one at Virgin Active in Derby? I did 2 sessions. 1-2pm and 2:30-3:30pm. Enjoyed them both. As you said, the coaches were great and I picked up some useful tips too. Then spent an hour or so in the Spa. Great afternoon.

Did another open water swim on Saturday. Now up to 2 laps of the marina non-stop which is over 1000m. Did 4 laps in total, roughly 1.4 miles. also practised running from the water and stripping off wetsuit. Really enjoying the open water now.

Anyone entered Swim Serpentine?

Yes, did the first session 1-2pm and a hr or so in the SPA

Shiney, head and the beard was me :)

Back
Top Bottom