Starting swimming, any advice?

Soldato
*Red Eye*

Does anyone else have reaction to chlorine if they get it in their eyes, if goggles haven't sealed 100% - like last night -
I need corrective goggles to see the wall/other swimmers, and wonder if the problem is exacerbated because eyes do not build up a reistance/tolerance.
basically, I get blood shot eyes for a day afterwards, despite application of optrex .. better solutions ?

Soldato
Can you swim in a lake without a wetsuit?

Yes. The lake I go to each week for open water swim training let’s you go without a wetsuit as long as you use a tow float too (some safety reason)
I swam for the first time (in the lake) without a wetsuit on Monday and it was really nice actually! Water temp was 20ish I believe.

I’ve got a triathlon tomorrow, swim is in the river Severn. They say wetsuits are optional as long as temp is above 14. Should be fine tomorrow!

Soldato
They say wetsuits are optional as long as temp is above 14.
but won't everyone use them because they are more efficient with the bouyancy ... even if its not as pleasant ?

red eye - researching .... I'm trying option 4
Try a few drops of milk. This method for relieving sore eyes is not scientifically proven to work, but swimmers in the know rely on it to soothe their eyes after a long day in the pool. Use a dropper or a spoon to drip a few drops of milk into your eyes. Blink a few times and wipe the excess milk away. Milk is basic and supposedly has the effect of neutralizing the pool chemicals, helping the pain go away.[4]
  • Use this method at your own risk. No scientific studies have been conducted to show whether this works or what potential side effects it may have.
  • If you experience further irritation after using milk, rinse your eyes with water to remove it.
Try a baking soda eye wash. This is a home remedy thought to help soothe irritated eyes. Like the milk remedy, it is not scientifically verified. If you want to try this method, mix 1/4 teaspoon baking soda with 1/2 cup water. Dip a cotton ball in the mixture and squeeze it over your eyes to bathe them. Blink a few times so your eyes get coated. If the irritation increases or doesn't go away within a few minutes, rinse your eyes with fresh water.[5]
  • Be careful not to rub your eyes, as baking soda can be gritty.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
always a wetsuit,

Wetsuit swimming makes you superman in the water :) I would sooner take extra time in T1 taking it off, mainly because my running is crap and i need all the energy for that.

Associate
I agree . I reckon I get about 10% faster in wetsuit lake swimming. I'm quite happy swimming in cold ( I train in north sea for my open water swimming) but its so much faster in neoprene

Soldato
Well I was very much in the minority with no wetsuit! Only a handful of people chose the same option.
I didn’t feel as quick as I would have been with a wetsuit, but my T1 was reasonably quick.
Still managed 6th overall at the event so pretty happy still.

Soldato
..so what was the temperature ?

surface area on the arms must help with them too, although isn't there a loss of joint articulation.

just the pool this morning ... with usual suspects -
was amused to see one of the young kids who swims very well later join some of the other children for fun in the childrens pool.
... for fun at the end of a swim i like to swim rotating body axially sort of hybrid crawl/backstroke ... need to name it. ... makes you dizzy.

Soldato
Pool full of tourists yesterday ... nothing worse than a row of people standing across the pool end, maybe they do 200m, all in, and just there to talk .

below works - now used several times - definitely nutrilizes the hydrochloric acid - used old goggle spray bottle.

Try a baking soda eye wash. This is a home remedy thought to help soothe irritated eyes. Like the milk remedy, it is not scientifically verified. If you want to try this method, mix 1/4 teaspoon baking soda with 1/2 cup water. Dip a cotton ball in the mixture and squeeze it over your eyes to bathe them. Blink a few times so your eyes get coated. If the irritation increases or doesn't go away within a few minutes, rinse your eyes with fresh water.[5]

Soldato
Newest generation of apple watch any good for swimming?

I was just looking for a watch just so I could glance at to know what time I need to get out before I have a fight with the morning rush hour commute (My eye sight is atrocious and can't see the gigantic clock they have at my local gym), but thought might as well get something fancy that could measure swimming related stuff, as well as measure calories burnt etc.

SPG

SPG

Soldato
As far as smart watches go the apple is top of the tree for swimming. Ok its not as good as a dedicated sport watch but then it also does otherthings much better.

For casual swimming and basic tracking you cant go wrong with the apple watch really.

I use a fenix 5+ as i can actually read it without my glasses. (Long sitghted here) when doing sport.

Soldato
Heavily short sighted here, plan is to get to the gym very early in the morn, do a swim and then head to work, but I can't see the massive clock they have on the wall xD So was just going to get a water resistant watch but realised it would be good to see how many calories i'm burning during a swim session so I can push myself next time to beat it, I used to love swimming and i'm naturally a strong swimmer despite my large (fat) size

Currently downloaded a step counter app on my phone to help count my steps and give a rough calories burnt.

I will beat my target of a 10st loss, only 9.5st to go D:

Soldato
Prescription goggles ? but yes - looking at a watch when you reach the end is more convenient.

Calorie burn from watches is likely to be highly inaccurate for swiming, since imhop swimming efficiency has more variability than running/cycling ,
ironically it would probablly benefit the most from having heart rate too, but that is the toughest environment to capture it accurately.
(if you can capture heart rate manually duirng the workout there are probably online models for the calorie burn.)

Soldato
I use the Garmin Tri HRM for my outdoor swimming (and some indoor). Never had an issue but you can't see it during the swim, for the obvious reason it's difficult to look at your watch while swimming, and Ant+ can't transmit through water. (the strap records the HR during the activity then downloads it to my watch after the swim, in case you weren't sure how it worked)

I have noticed the calorie estimate to be quite difference for activities wearing/and not wearing a HRM.

Back
Top Bottom