Starting weight lifting again - help please :)

Yeah exactly. And it does actually help you build muscle as you are stretching the muscle casing. All these big guys with no flexibility at all is a shame. I know Jay Cutler spends 30mins or more stretching each workout.

Linoge said:
Thought so, just needed to check. :) Used it for a few months myself then went back to 2 fully body workouts a week.

How did you find it? You're only do a 2 day a week routine? What does it look like...

I liked the pyramid setup of the routine, I made quite big gains using it then I hit a wall, and needed to mix it up a little so I went back to 2 fully body workouts per week, current routine works out like this:

Day 1 - Routine 1
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Cardio
Day 4 - Routine 2
Day 5 - Rest
Day 6 - Cardio
Day 7 - Routine 1

etc, roughly twice a week, sometimes three depending on the how the days line up.

Based around compound exercises with a few isolation exercises.

Routine 1:

Flat Bench Press 3x8
Close Grip Bench Press 3x8

Barbell Shrug 5x10
Arnold Dumbbell Press 3x8

Deadlift 3x8

Calf Raises 5x10

Barbell Squat 3x8
Barbell Lunge 3x8

Sit-Ups 2x25(with weights)
Chin-Ups 5x10 (with weights)

Routine 2:

Incline Bench Press 3x8
Weighted dips 3x8

Standing Dumbbell Upright Row 3x8
Cuban Press 3x8

Bent Over Barbell Row 3x8

Calf Raises 5x10

Barbell Squat 3x8
Barbell Lunge 3x8

Sit-Ups 2x25(with weights)
Alternate Hammer Curl 3x8

I am quite limited to what I can do since I workout at home but I'm happy with the progress I've made so far. :)

Very different routine you have there. I'm a firm believer that legs and back should be worked on their own days. This has been the absolute best for me and means they will get optimum focus for the session and time to recover.

How are your gains on this routine?

S7yl3s said:
Very different routine you have there. I'm a firm believer that legs and back should be worked on their own days. This has been the absolute best for me and means they will get optimum focus for the session and time to recover.

How are your gains on this routine?

Gains are good, although I was cutting for 3 weeks there during August, didn't make any significant gains nor did I expect to. As much as I would like to do a 3/4 day split, I don't have the time so this suits me more doing fully body workouts. :) If I can find more time, I might go back to day splits during the week but it's not an option at the minute.

Good stuff, well as long as it works for you mate :)

What's your diet like? intake etc? And what does your cardio consist of? I presume you drop down dramatically or cut this when you're bulking?

S7yl3s said:
Good stuff, well as long as it works for you mate :)

What's your diet like? intake etc? And what does your cardio consist of? I presume you drop down dramatically or cut this when you're bulking?

Yeah, the cardio takes over during cutting, I'm very pleased with the results, my aim was to bulk up to 200lbs with maybe 15/16% bf and then cut down to 195lbs. I bulked up to 198lbs, then started cutting mid August. Got down to 190lbs and I was very pleased with the results. I didn't plan to cut down as much but everything is much more defined now. I would say my bf is around 11/12%. I dropped my daily calories intake by 500 during the cutting which I did for around 3 weeks. It was my first attempt at cutting but my god I was starving as well 24 hrs a day. lol

Overall my diet is pretty good, there is room for improvement though and I know that. But I'm one of the fussiest eaters to have ever walked earth. Cardio consists of jogging or cycling, my preference being cycling, but when I jog it's always on grass, I'm not going to **** up my knees on gravel or concrete. It's only a matter of months before I need to start getting to a gym because there's only so much you can do squatting and benching alone at home.

Linoge said:
It's only a matter of months before I need to start getting to a gym because there's only so much you can do squatting and benching alone at home.

I know the feeling. Luckily for me I have someone to spot me so I can do whatever I need. Being spotted for, or spotting 300lbs + squats isn't the most fun you can have though! Find a decent gym and get a decent training partner your results will go through the roof :) someone who can really give it beans and really get you going :)

Well done with the work so far mate glad to see people enjoy this as much as me :)

$loth said:
Hey all!

I want to start weight lifting again this week but I need some people to go over a plan that i've got here

Btw mate I would love to see you start a 'Journal' thread on here with everything you do in. Watching yourself progress is so much more satisfying when you can look back at what you 'were' doing at the start.

S7yl3s said:
I know the feeling. Luckily for me I have someone to spot me so I can do whatever I need. Being spotted for, or spotting 300lbs + squats isn't the most fun you can have though! Find a decent gym and get a decent training partner your results will go through the roof :) someone who can really give it beans and really get you going :)

Well done with the work so far mate glad to see people enjoy this as much as me :)

Cheers mate. :) Unfortunately I'm the only one out of my friends that does any form of exercise. lol I've got a good local gym that I found a few months ago, went a few times and the guys there knew what they were talking about unlike my local leisure centre who spout the biggest load of bs I've heard. Might try and get my brother to start soon. :D He doesn't know it yet.

Linoge said:
Cheers mate. :) Unfortunately I'm the only one out of my friends that does any form of exercise. lol I've got a good local gym that I found a few months ago, went a few times and the guys there knew what they were talking about unlike my local leisure centre who spout the biggest load of bs I've heard. Might try and get my brother to start soon. :D He doesn't know it yet.

Seriously go for it. I train with my brother and it's fantastic. You can really push yourself because YOU DO NOT WANT TO LOOSE TO YOUR BROTHER :p

I started doing weights a while ago and since then most of my mates have started doing them and getting really into it. It's nice to give advice to people who have started a sport because they have seen your own personal gains.

:D I got a lot of good comments from friends during the summer which is brilliant for me, very motivating, they ask questions about what I do, get inspired for 5 minutes, go home and go back on their computers. Two of them are quite interested in it, but whenever I try and get them to cycle with me, the excuses roll in. lol

Unfortunately for my brother, I outweigh him by some 80lbs, he'll need to get his ass in gear to catch me. ;)

S7yl3s said:
That's a huge difference :O And you're 190ish, how old is your brother?

He's 18 but skinny as a rake. I'm 6ft2, he's around 5"11. I tried getting him up to bulk up during the summer but he didn't really care so I left it, but told him if he needs help he knows where I am.

S7yl3s said:
Btw mate I would love to see you start a 'Journal' thread on here with everything you do in. Watching yourself progress is so much more satisfying when you can look back at what you 'were' doing at the start.

Sure thing :) I'll update it weekly or something. I'll post up my chest/leg/bicep sizes tomorow.

Back
Top Bottom