Steam hacked ?

Associate
Hi all.

I tried to play some games last night but it said my password was wrong, Shouldn't be as i haven't reset it or anything.

Any how after trying and trying still no luck i've opened up a ticket to witch i still haven't heard anything at all from Steam:mad:
how does it take for them to reply? I've added pictures and product keys to prove it's my account but NOTHING !

What is puzzling me is that i did the Email address verification to my email address but i'm still not getting anything sent to it when i know my username and email address?

Any more ideas please?

It will normally take a couple of days for them to respond assuming you've provided all the info they need.

If your not getting the password reset emails then depending on how your password has been compromised (putting your details into a phishing website, key logger on a machine you've used etc) they could well have accessed your email and have since changed the email address associated with the account.

It will normally take a couple of days for them to respond assuming you've provided all the info they need.

If your not getting the password reset emails then depending on how your password has been compromised (putting your details into a phishing website, key logger on a machine you've used etc) they could well have accessed your email and have since changed the email address associated with the account.

That is what they have done i've just sorted all that out now with my isp and that was a game !

Have you checked to see if the emails have been filtered as spam?

Yeah checked that nothing i'm afraid.

The ticket response time varies greatly I find. I would give them a week to reply. It has never taken longer than that in my experience. I'm waiting on one submitted 3 days ago.

I think they prioritise support depending on the problem you specify from the ticket drop down boxes.

Have you clicked any links in steam chat or from other websites recently?

Do you use your steam password for any other online accounts etc?

Nope not clicked on anything was working at 6pm yesterday tried at 10pm and i couldn't get my password to work.

Pretty cheesed off they don't reply sooner someone could be game hacking on my account and i lose out on all those games seems unfair to me if that happens.

No idea?

My isp said it had been hacked aswell and nothing i had in details section was there and it was linked to another email account.

Your isp said your email account with them had been hacked?

As in the data taken from their servers?

Should go to the press mate that's massive news.

Major ISP's email details being hacked compromises thousands of accounts, pay pal and bank details it's a major event.

How did they get your email password?

And I wish people would stop saying steam has been hacked.
Yeah I hate when people say that too. I've had Steam for 5 years now and never, ever had a single account related problem. By the way, I bet they got his E-Mail password because guaranteed he was using the same password for both his Steam account and his E-Mail address. Probably uses the same password for here too.

Tefal, I think he means his ISP said that his Steam account had been hacked, how would they know anyway, it's nothing to do with them. If it was his ISP confirming that his E-Mail account with them had been hacked then you're right it would compromise thousands of other E-Mail accounts too and would probably have been in the news etc.

No idea?

My isp said it had been hacked aswell and nothing i had in details section was there and it was linked to another email account.

It's nothing to do with your ISP, you need to be more vigilant.

Last edited:
Yeah I hate when people say that too. I've had Steam for 5 years now and never, ever had a single account related problem. By the way, I bet they got his E-Mail password because guaranteed he was using the same password for both his Steam account and his E-Mail address. Probably uses the same password for here too.

It's nothing to do with your ISP, you need to be more vigilant.

Well to be honest i'm not to bothered what you think I know that both passwords were different and i also know what my isp said as it is there email service i use the guy was very helpful and said they'd be looking into this more.

He also knew about Steam ( as he uses them) and said thats what must have happened.

Well to be honest i'm not to bothered what you think I know that both passwords were different and i also know what my isp said as it is there email service i use the guy was very helpful and said they'd be looking into this more.

He also knew about Steam ( as he uses them) and said thats what must have happened.

I've worked for an ISP helpdesk in the past and I think you spoke to an idiot to be honest. There are people here who've had Steam since the service was released years ago and not had any problems. Either your PC has been infected with a keylogger or you've given your password to someone / clicked a link in a Steam chat window and then typed your account info into it.

When he says they'd be looking into it more, did you not realise he just said that to shut you up and make you leave in a good mood? They create an incident report, or a call log for each call and yours has been closed now, Steam is not something that your ISP has to support so any information he gave you was on an unsupported product. The employees of the call centre are frowned upon for wasting time on calls trying to give information on unsupported products.

Last edited:

Steam getting hacked is international news.

When a few cafe accounts details got hacked it was massive news.

Steam would have to come out publicly and tell everyone as it compromises lots of bank details.

You got phished or you got a virus/keylogger, be more careful or less greedy.

I ran a check on my computer for a key logger found nothing and i definitely haven't given anyone else my account details.

I just hope i get my steam account back and working soon .

I ran a check on my computer for a key logger found nothing and i definitely haven't given anyone else my account details.

I just hope i get my steam account back and working soon .

Did you change the password on your ISP E-Mail address since? And did you E-Mail Steam photos of game boxes/serials. If so then you should probably have your account back soon.

If I was you though I'd probably make a new Gmail account or something and just create a completely random password for it and then associate that account with your Steam account if and when you get it back.

There are plenty of ways someone can get your details without having a keylogger on your computer. If you use internet cafes or other wifi zones they can do man in the middle attacks and decrypt SSL or if you use outlook to check your emails these are sent over plain text if you don't use secure mail servers and a simple sniffer could pick those up.

You could have a keylogger on your machine as most antivirus programs won't detect all the commercial keyloggers out there because they aren't classed as viruses. Your best bet is to use a firewall like Comodo which allows application control so if an unknown application tries to access the internet it pops up saying "Blah.exe is trying to connect to..." and you know something is up. I had this on my parents machine once. AVG didn't detect it at all but they had Comodo which had been blocking all attempts for the keylogger to upload the log files. Thanks to Comodo I checked the path to the exe file and found the log files there containing all their private data.

I promptly removed AVG and wiped the computer to start afresh and haven't used AVG since then. I still use Comodo for application control, however, as that is the only way I will know 100% that something undetected is trying to upload stuff!

What AV / Security software / Router are you using?

Did you change the password on your ISP E-Mail address since? And did you E-Mail Steam photos of game boxes/serials. If so then you should probably have your account back soon.

If I was you though I'd probably make a new Gmail account or something and just create a completely random password for it and then associate that account with your Steam account if and when you get it back.

Yes i sent pictures of the games and serial codes but a couple of games i bought online also took a screen shot of the email i was sent when i used Email address verification tool.

Also have changed my password on the email account as well.

I have a netgear DG834GT and run Avira antivirus premier.

Thanks for the replies so far sorry if I've sound grump but we've just had a new born baby and a couple hours of kip a night and now this has about tipped me over the edge lol :P

There are plenty of ways someone can get your details without having a keylogger on your computer. If you use internet cafes or other wifi zones they can do man in the middle attacks and decrypt SSL or if you use outlook to check your emails these are sent over plain text if you don't use secure mail servers and a simple sniffer could pick those up.

You could have a keylogger on your machine as most antivirus programs won't detect all the commercial keyloggers out there because they aren't classed as viruses. Your best bet is to use a firewall like Comodo which allows application control so if an unknown application tries to access the internet it pops up saying "Blah.exe is trying to connect to..." and you know something is up. I had this on my parents machine once. AVG didn't detect it at all but they had Comodo which had been blocking all attempts for the keylogger to upload the log files. Thanks to Comodo I checked the path to the exe file and found the log files there containing all their private data.

I promptly removed AVG and wiped the computer to start afresh and haven't used AVG since then. I still use Comodo for application control, however, as that is the only way I will know 100% that something undetected is trying to upload stuff!

Thank will look into Comodo .

Back
Top Bottom