*** Steam / HL2 / Source FAQ ***

Man of Honour
OP
It is rather silly that people cannot play the game without the internet, as they are now potentially losing customers who do not have any form of the internet. I'm sure there will be some sort of way to install it without the internet, but you'll have to wait and see.

Soldato
I've been downloading CS: Source, but it stopped last night and said "game currently not available"

I started again today, its going really slowly and doesnt seem to have resumed from where it was last night??

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by oli collett
I've been downloading CS: Source, but it stopped last night and said "game currently not available"

I started again today, its going really slowly and doesnt seem to have resumed from where it was last night??

Probably best to wait for it to finish downloading. Check the rate it's DLing to see what speed you're getting. It won't be available to play until you have adequate files for the game to run.

dms

dms

Associate
2 things

firstly

Originally posted by Hawklord
If you opted for the silver version for £40 you'd effectively get 4 games (HL2, HL S, DOD S and CS S) as well as all of valves back catalogue. This is quite a bargain imo

The only problem is that a) cs & dod used to be free b) most of us have hl 1 anyway and they've made a big thing of the fact that the graphics havent changed and it was only ever made as a demo to mod makers for importing hl1 mods! c) their back catalogue is only any good for non devote people that havent bought it yet.

HL2 itself will hopefully be a great game, but I think there's an element of recycling the same material and selling it over again going on here! And we're not talking about bargain prices.

Secondly. I mentioned it in another thread and it got pooh poohed, but I can't find it anywhere else in these forums.

How come they're charging us VAT? Are they set up with a british company (presumably not paying in $) or are they really going to be donating sums to Custom and Excise? I dont know what the law states on this one, it would be interesting. Technically if you're importing a good (over 18quid) then you have to pay duty and VAT - but I've not been charged VAT before on any d/l I obtained from US companies.

Soldato
Originally posted by DaveyD
Probably best to wait for it to finish downloading. Check the rate it's DLing to see what speed you're getting. It won't be available to play until you have adequate files for the game to run.

I can't seem to check the rate its downloading at? seems to be very slow though, i'm on a Uni LAN so that might be a problem... I can usually get upto 1mb/s off the net though, it might not be going through the Uni Proxy though which wont help..

Man of Honour
OP
I can't seem to check the rate its downloading at? seems to be very slow though, i'm on a Uni LAN so that might be a problem... I can usually get upto 1mb/s off the net though, it might not be going through the Uni Proxy though which wont help..

You can check the rate by right clicking on the Steam icon in your task bar. From there, select "Monitor". That will give you your DL rate in kb per second, don't be confused by that number, divide it by 8, that'll be in KB per second :)

Soldato
You can check the rate by right clicking on the Steam icon in your task bar. From there, select "Monitor". That will give you your DL rate in kb per second, don't be confused by that number, divide it by 8, that'll be in KB per second :)

Ahhh

It's going ok.. when its connected... its frustrating though that it keeps disconnecting and i have to go to play the game again!

Soldato
Argh its been rubbish all weekend. Only 32% of the way through counterstrike and its been going a few days on/off.. just keeps disconnecting from the server!

Half Life 2 is going to take forever!

Man of Honour
OP
Argh its been rubbish all weekend. Only 32% of the way through counterstrike and its been going a few days on/off.. just keeps disconnecting from the server!

Half Life 2 is going to take forever!

Unfortunately that's Uni networks for you. Probably best to just buy the retail version if you have not already forked out for the game.

Only 17 days left anyway :)

Soldato
What kind of speed are you getting then?

When its downloading.. its not too bad, it jumps around 10kb-100kb..

the problem is, it can never seem to connect, and when it does connect it'll go on for a while then say game currently unavailable/servers to busy/etc. :(

Soldato
Hmm, think i've got it sorted now!

I started pre-loading HL2 and it did 8% overnight... it just stays on permenantly... its just CS:S that is a bit of a pain, i just have to keep restarting it, but it'll finish eventually i think.

Soldato
ohhhh... had to reinstall windows and didnt think to backup steam properly (i just backed up what it had downloaded) and now its not loading the damn program up because its having problems updating :(

Soldato
well ive just bought the silver version and am having my first ever experince with the infamous steam. im currently downloading cs source at a rather low 20KB/s, but hopefully ill have everything i need to start playing by tonight, i cant wait :D

Soldato
so if i buy HL2 bronze from steam its about £33 ?

but looking at online shops its about £5 cheaper ?

so might aswell wait for the retail version and buy it in the shops right ?

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by Snow-Munki
so if i buy HL2 bronze from steam its about £33 ?

but looking at online shops its about £5 cheaper ?

so might aswell wait for the retail version and buy it in the shops right ?

As long as you're not desperate to play CS:Source, I'd go for the shops version.

Back
Top Bottom