*** Steam / HL2 / Source FAQ ***

Soldato
Originally posted by DaveyD
Educated guess, but HL2 will probably look for existing installations of Steam, then install there, nowhere else.
I cant see it working like that. Games and programs, that are brought, ALLWAYS install where you want them to. If i want it on my games drive, even if i had Steam on my data drive, it will be installed to my games drive, even if i have to drag the directory to it and alter the registary! lol.
However, im ok whatever, i have Steam installed in:
"D:\Games\Valve\Steam"
Where i`ll also put HL2 under "Valve", and ive just installed BlueShift there as well.

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by BoomAM
I cant see it working like that. Games and programs, that are brought, ALLWAYS install where you want them to. If i want it on my games drive, even if i had Steam on my data drive, it will be installed to my games drive, even if i have to drag the directory to it and alter the registary! lol.
However, im ok whatever, i have Steam installed in:
"D:\Games\Valve\Steam"
Where i`ll also put HL2 under "Valve", and ive just installed BlueShift there as well.

Half-life 2 isn't a normal game though, the retail package is just the locked .gcf files, so they'll be stuck with the rest of the .gcf files in the SteamApps directory, ready to be unlocked when the correct Steam account is logged into.

Soldato
So how exactely do you know how the retail version will come? ;)
As ive said. Im not bothered how it comes. It WILL install to wherever we want it to go, wether it likes it or not. Its standard practice for any installer.
We`ll have to wait to see till tomorrow. But theres a 99.999...% chance, that we can specify where it gets installed to.

Soldato
So how exactely do you know how the retail version will come? ;)
As ive said. Im not bothered how it comes. It WILL install to wherever we want it to go, wether it likes it or not. Its standard practice for any installer.
We`ll have to wait to see till tomorrow. But theres a 99.999...% chance, that we can specify where it gets installed to.

and its a 99.99 percent chance steam will have to be in that folder too. so you do have to install hl2 in the same folder as steam... you just have to choose where you want steam installed

Soldato
Aparentely i wont be getting my collectors edition tomorrow.
Can i buy a normal version, and then when my collectors edition finally arrives, just sell the normal version to my mate? Or will Steam throw a hissy fit?

Man of Honour
OP
Aparentely i wont be getting my collectors edition tomorrow.
Can i buy a normal version, and then when my collectors edition finally arrives, just sell the normal version to my mate? Or will Steam throw a hissy fit?

As long as you give your mate all the access to the Steam account that your copy is registered to, don't see a problem.

Soldato
Re: *** Steam / Half-Life 2 / Counter-Strike: Source FAQ ***

First things first:

You need the internet to install Half-Life 2. If you don't have the internet, you can't install Half-Life 2. There are no other ways to install it.

Hmm, then how would they be reading this then...

:rolleyes:

Man of Honour
OP
Re: Re: *** Steam / Half-Life 2 / Counter-Strike: Source FAQ ***

Originally posted by leaskovski
Hmm, then how would they be reading this then...

:rolleyes:

Don't be a smart arse :rolleyes:

You really would be suprised with how many people on here don't have te net on their gaming PCs are / know people buying the game without realising this.

Associate
Can't see this scenario is the faq's so here goes.

I have Steam with HL, DOD & CS installed on both my PC's. But that's just with the one product key - so when my son and I try to play online (or on LAN) at the same time Steam won't let us.

I'm now downloading the HL2 silver package that gives access to all the back catalogue. Therefore I must now effectively have two separate licenses for the 'old' games (i.e I bought the original HL + now have the HL2 Silver package). So we should be able to play online at the same time.

But, will my existing versions of those games, on the PC where HL2 has downloaded, automatically use the new key that comes with the download? Or will I have to delete and then re-install them again via Steam?

Man of Honour
OP
You'll still only have 1 registered copy of HL1 engine based games.

What exactly is happening when you try to play on a LAN? Steam won't let you play online at the same time, as you need separate accounts, though LAN shouldn't be a problem.

Associate
You'll still only have 1 registered copy of HL1 engine based games.

What exactly is happening when you try to play on a LAN? Steam won't let you play online at the same time, as you need separate accounts, though LAN shouldn't be a problem.

I must be thick, but I don't follow this.......the original HL that I bought years ago is 1 registered copy and doesn't my purchase/download of HL2 Silver pack give me a second? It says that it gives access to the back catalogue games, so even if I'd never bought HL before I should be able to download and run them via Steam after my purchase of HL2.

Associate
Sorry, confused myself too :)

Yes, you should be able to play all the Half-Life 1 games now that you own HL2 silver.

Thanks for that....I just hope that the Half Life 1 games on the PC with HL2 on it will now use that 'new' serial rather than the original one, otherwise I won't be much better off!

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by yabadaba
Thanks for that....I just hope that the Half Life 1 games on the PC with HL2 on it will now use that 'new' serial rather than the original one, otherwise I won't be much better off!

Not sure what exactly you mean about serials. Your Steam account will have 1 registered copy of HL1 on it, even buying HL2 with another copy of HL1, that still only gives you 1 HL1 copy.

Caporegime
Just to add the following commands in your CS:S config help FPS and 'stutter':

mat_bumpmap "0" (disables bumpmapping)
mat_specular "0" (disables specular lighting)
r_rainsimulate "0" (disables rain)
fog_enable "0" (disables fog - this could be dodgy territory!)

And the following enables the console if all else fails:

-console

In the advanced startup options in steam > play games > cs:source > properties menu.

Back
Top Bottom