*** Steam / HL2 / Source FAQ ***

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by player
QUESTION*****

is half life 1:source

the original half life with the half life 2 engine and graphics? And can I only get this with the silver package upwards on steam?

Yes, it is Half-Life 1 on the Source engine. Don't think much work will have gone into updated maps etc though.

You can get it on the Silver package, or the Collectors editon, which isn't going to show itself for a while in the UK.

there should be an option, once you own half-life 2, to upgrade retail / bronze packages to the silver package which should cost around £6.

Soldato
ok at the moment my dvd-rom drive is nackerd for some unknown reason. My preorder copy (retail) of HL2 should be here soon. Can i just use the cd key from the retail version and download it through steam? Just like for a while until i get another dvd drive sorted out?

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by hardkore
ok at the moment my dvd-rom drive is nackerd for some unknown reason. My preorder copy (retail) of HL2 should be here soon. Can i just use the cd key from the retail version and download it through steam? Just like for a while until i get another dvd drive sorted out?

Yep, download the pre-load now, you'll just enter the CD-Key that comes with the game. Don't need the disk.

Soldato
Right:
I figued that im gonna have to install steam sometime, so i did it last night. I fished out my HL:Gen CDkeys and registered them. They now appear in the list.
I try my blueshift key, and it says that ive already registered it. But i cannot see it on my list?!
Whats going on there?

##EDIT##
SteamReg.JPG

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by BoomAM
Right:
I figued that im gonna have to install steam sometime, so i did it last night. I fished out my HL:Gen CDkeys and registered them. They now appear in the list.
I try my blueshift key, and it says that ive already registered it. But i cannot see it on my list?!
Whats going on there?

##EDIT##
SteamReg.JPG

Blueshift isn't on the Steam List, as they have not made it a Steam game unfortunately. That's why you can't register it.

you'll have to play it without Steam.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Wonder why that is. Strange...

From what i've just found on the Steam forums, Blueshift uses a slightly different version of the HL1 engine due to the high definition models etc. That's why the game was a standalone pack and did not require HL1 to play. Basically, I don't think VALVe can be arsed to convert it.

Soldato
Originally posted by DaveyD
From what i've just found on the Steam forums, Blueshift uses a slightly different version of the HL1 engine due to the high definition models etc. That's why the game was a standalone pack and did not require HL1 to play. Basically, I don't think VALVe can be arsed to convert it.
Lazy... :D
I`ll let `em off though!. lol.

Soldato
Originally posted by TheGreatGrrrr
A quick question:

I have 6 Partitions, I want to have HL2 and CS:S on my C:, steam on G: and HL1 Source and the rest on H:.

But from what I gather everything has to go in the steam folder? :(
Why have everything seperate anyway? Why not just have a partition just for the games, and install steam and the rest of the HL games there?

Man of Honour
OP
Originally posted by TheGreatGrrrr
A quick question:

I have 6 Partitions, I want to have HL2 and CS:S on my C:, steam on G: and HL1 Source and the rest on H:.

But from what I gather everything has to go in the steam folder? :(

From what I have seen, you have to have everything in your Steam folder.

Associate
Why have everything seperate anyway? Why not just have a partition just for the games, and install steam and the rest of the HL games there?

I have 3 HDD's in 6 partitions, the c: drive is my windows drive, a 36.7gb raptor, so I only put a few games on there, the third drive is a 160gb hitachi deskstar in 2 partitions, one for programs and downloads and one for the games that I don't feel warrant space on the raptor, and the second is an 80gb IDE thing in 3 partitions with a spare windows and some backup folders etc.

The plan was to have steam installed on the first partition of my 160gb drive (G: - with the rest of my programs), HL 2 and CS:S on the raptor, with the priority games, and the rest of the games on my H: drive with the rest of my games, but by the looks of it I'll have to put it all on H: :(.

Soldato
Becase that's where EVERYTHING is stored.
I know that, but he wants JUST steam on his G: drive. Why not have it on the same drive as HL2, it`ll save you loads of problems.

It`d could probably be done, how he wants it, if he just brought it retail. Then he could install the games to wherever he wants to.

Man of Honour
OP
I know that, but he wants JUST steam on his G: drive. Why not have it on the same drive as HL2, it`ll save you loads of problems.

It`d could probably be done, how he wants it, if he just brought it retail. Then he could install the games to wherever he wants to.

I get what you mean for your first point now, though your second is not true, as Half-Life 2 retail is installed with Steam anyway, so it'll still be with it.

Soldato
I get what you mean for your first point now, though your second is not true, as Half-Life 2 retail is installed with Steam anyway, so it'll still be with it.
Not if you pre-download and install Steam :).
Download Steam now, install it to his G:.
Get HL2 retail, install it to wherever, and then he wont have to install another copy of steam will he?.

Man of Honour
OP
Not if you pre-download and install Steam :).
Download Steam now, install it to his G:.
Get HL2 retail, install it to wherever, and then he wont have to install another copy of steam will he?.

Educated guess, but HL2 will probably look for existing installations of Steam, then install there, nowhere else.

Back
Top Bottom