Steam Summer Sale 2018

Soldato
OP
Im thinking of getting dying light but don't have a vast amounts of time due to kids...what's save system like, can you jump in and out?
Took me months to complete for the same reason as yourself. The save system works very well. It seemed that every little bit of significant progress was saved.

In addition to this when the level loads, when you come back to it, you are read a sentence that summarises what the plot is. So if you come back to it a couple of weeks later you know what is going on.

I made a point of completing this one and although I rushed through the end, I really enjoyed it.

Soldato
OP
Just a few thus far. a lot of gaming for the outlay.

CRYPTARK. Looks great and one of the reviews said it reminded them of Cybernator on the SNES = sold!
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. Loved 2, been after this for a while and picked it up with the below to complete a bundle for a fiver. Bargain.
Tales from the Borderlands. Looks promising. The Telltale stuff I have played has been decent.
The Fidelio Incident. Intriguing walking simulator which comes with the soundtrack. Big discount also on this one.
Monolith. Been after this one for a while. Kind of a Binding of Isaac shooter (by the looks!).
Celeste. This one I really should have bought on release. I have played a little and it's great. Nintendo assisted development of the game in it's final year ;).
Pulp Fiction. Yes a movie on Steam (omg). Well worth a couple of quid :).

All that lot cost a total of

£27.05

Soldato
OP
Recap on what I have bought. And for a couple of quid over the price of 1 AAA title not doing too bad.

Subnautica
£12.47

Freespace 2
£3.49

Super Blood Hockey
£2.79

Quantum Break
£7.49

Cryptark
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
Tales from the Borderlands

£8.71

Pulp Fiction
£2.87

The Fidelio Incident
Celeste
Monolith

£15.47

Thinking of grabbing Darkwood and maybe Darkest Dungeon but tbh have more than enough really...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
That was a free download from the developers a while back, not sure if it still is... worth googling before you buy.
I think they made it a free download as it was up on the bay pretty much on release so not really freeware.

Possibly a publicity thing? I don't know really but I will buy it if I think I will play it etc :)

Soldato
OP
Was looking at my purchase history and forgot that I bought Songbringer.

I played some last night and it plays so well. A little like Hyper Light Drifter but more umm.."choppy". Also as soon as I played it I went to buy the OST as the music is incredible. Although that is more than the price of the game so I didn't :p

The game is in the sale, recommended :)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/367080/Songbringer/

Soldato
OP
So I’ve been playing Everspace and I absolutely love it. Super relaxing combined with panic and intensity, been some time since I played a game that made my eyes water from forgetting to blink.

Reminds me of a lone wolf FTL with great graphics, and a simple yet deep crafting and rescource managwment system. The flashbacks and computerised assistance, along with the lore, give the galaxy depth.

First time I played I was blown to bits with a big smile on my face, and its super satisfying as you get better at flying, get some perks and start winning fights and progressing further.

It makes a nice counterpoint to FEAR, which I can’t play at night :p
That sounds great. Does it work with a flight stick do you think or not that type of game?

Soldato
OP
I’ve read up and a recent update added HOTAS support. However the developers have stated they did so because the fans were vocal about it, and they still recommend mouse and keyboard for the best experience. K&M certainly feels very slick. You can barrel roll, descend and invert your ship super quick for an instant turnaround to blast pursuing enemies etc.

Part of the beauty of mouse is that whilst moving the cursor does adjust trajectory, it also gives you great accuracy; I’m not sure if you’d lose that with joystick.

Also, at least with K&M, velocity is not persistent. I think it would slow down the feel of the game if using a throttle, especially with the starter ship as it’s rather nimble.

Hope that helps mate, it’s a superb rogue lite in space with great graphics and an addicting I’ve “one more run” style. It’s early days but a 9/10 for me so far.
Yeh that's very helpful thanks.

I have read and seen enough now to pick it up, cheers :)

Soldato
OP
Last day of the sale today.

I refunded a couple that I didn't get on with so have a little money to speand.

Not sure which to get though?

Slay the Spire https://store.steampowered.com/app/646570/Slay_the_Spire/ (I literally got no games like this)
Darkest Dungeon https://store.steampowered.com/app/262060/Darkest_Dungeon/ This looks great but very hard apparently. It seems like it would be a good buy but I can just see myself raging so not sure...
Darkwood https://store.steampowered.com/app/274520/Darkwood/ Game looks very good.
EVERSPACE https://store.steampowered.com/app/396750/EVERSPACE/ I nearly grabbed this a couple of times but was put off by the mention of FTL as wanted a proper campain (I ended up getting Freespace 2 with mods!). Still does look good though just as an arcade shooter.

What I bought.

Claptastic Voyage & Ultimate Vault Hunter Upgrade Pack 2 £2.63
miniLAW £2.79 (refuned)
Spintires: MudRunner
&
Ballistic Tanks £3.28
Subnautica £12.47
Freespace 2 £3.49
Super Blood HockeyS £2.79
Quantum Break £7.49
Cryptark
&
Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel
&
Tales from the Borderlands £8.71
Pulp Fiction £2.87
The Fidelio Incident
&
Celeste
&
Monolith (Monolith refunded) £15.47

£59.47 total.

Soldato
OP
I bought this, and really love it. Not completed s run yet as I’m dragging it out by taking on crazy odds for big rewards, and I die a lot.

I loved FTL, but the lack of any story or change in dynamics ultimately left me bored.

Everspace has a story, I wouldn’t call it a campaign but it’s very interesting. You launch your ship, and can’t remember anything. The story is revealed through flashbacks as you progress. Your AI assistant also talks about the things you discover, filling out the lore of the universe.

It’s not a full on story campaign, but I can highly recommend it. It’s hreat fun and I LOVE that dying means you get to progress, improve your ship or buy a new one. There are o oh 3 ships so far but I’m hoping more will unlock.

9/10 for me, love it. Going to look into the dlc as if it brings decent new content I’ll be all in.
Bah okay lol...

I will have to grab this :)

Soldato
OP
I was surprised as anyone! AC:Origins is completely fine. Downloading some other stuff now to see how it is.

I'm using a decent Asus RT-AC66u router (Steam link wired into), then the host PC connected by an Asus USB-AC56 wireless adapter

Off topic however...

Could you plug a USB hard drive into that router and stream video to mobile devices on the internal network, and maybe even externally via VPN perhaps?

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom