SteamVR Performance Test

OcUK Staff
I've held off playing Elite Dangerous yet, other than trying out the training combat mission.

4k/Ultra - It was locked 60fps on my Titan X SLI, but I noticed SLI scaling was pretty poor.

You will be fine with that rig, the ideal FPS for VR is 90fps and the resolution is 2160x1200 if memory serves me right. :)

OcUK Staff
good stuff :) Which would you say so far from experience appeared better? From your experience ofc.

I felt both systems were excellent to be frank, I'd say HTC edged it on build quality, just feels better put together and that it won't break so easily with repeated use over years.

I also like the Valve/Steam connection with HTC, I can see some incredible titles coming in the future, cough Half Life 3, COUGH! :D ;)

Soldato
I felt both systems were excellent to be frank, I'd say HTC edged it on build quality, just feels better put together and that it won't break so easily with repeated use over years.

I also like the Valve/Steam connection with HTC, I can see some incredible titles coming in the future, cough Half Life 3, COUGH! :D ;)

Cheers, thanks for that. I'm still unsure which i want to go for lol. But atm HTC Vive or RIFT VR headset i'm deciding on.

Can't wait to try it out on Elite :D

Soldato
I just had an 5.9 . With a massive OC on GTX 580 it is more likely true. I may swap later for an 580 with 3 gigs of vram and let see what that baby can do!

Anyway, with some extra and extra OC on my GTX 570 will get VR ready status which is hilarious! Lot of amd cards are struggling to get even 4 or 5 of score.

Maybe that is the reason why nvidia delayed DX 12 and try to kill Vulkan Fermi support.

Can you give me a link to that GTX 580?

Its more surprising since Maxwell and cards from Hawaii introduced VR specific features.

Here is the GTX580:

http://forums.hexus.net/hexus-news/...t-assesses-pc-vr-readiness-2.html#post3611498

However,as noted they say their total frame count is quite low - much lower than all the other cards.

Man of Honour
Soldato
Not that VR is something on my horizon, but interesting test anyway.

xblh7r.jpg

Soldato
What I don't understand, my 780 running stock clocks gets a lower score (5.2) than the overclocked 570 in the above posts, yet he has 17 frames below 90FPS and I had none.

OcUK Staff
I thought the 7950 was still a very capable card, apparently not.

It is, but VR is a different ball game.

To play VR well, so it is what I consider a decent experience you need a 390 or 970 absolute minimum.

The whole idea is you need to be averaging 90fps or in an ideal world not dropping sub 90fps at 2160x1200 resolution, that requires a far more powerful card than a 7950.

Minimum ideal VR VGA card is 390/970 and an ideal card would be 980Ti to be frank.

But of course it depends what games you want to play in VR, Elite Dangerous is one of the most demanding and HTC to play it maxed out was running it on a pair of Titan X's, though I think a single 980Ti or Titan X would do it pretty much just as well. :)

Associate
Id like to see the 7950 score if you plugged it into your best system.

Yup, I expect despite not needing highly clocked 4 core+ cpu, the dual core is not enough to deliver the required frame rate for his test.
If anyone was so inclined they could disable cores and HT and lower clockspeed if they wanted to check.
Not particularly inclined myself, too much running atm!

Associate
Too lazy to mess about with the 7950 :p

was gonna do it, until I finish work sat on the sofa then all motivation lost.

happy got a vr ready machine anway :D

thx to gibbo for an amazing nano deal last week and oh the haribos too

Back
Top Bottom