Stella??

Associate
if i were to become a full time lager drinker, and not very used to the taste of it. what would you guys reccomend as a beginner beverage?

Drink a few and find what you like.

Probably start with the weaker ones. Miller on tap if you can find it would be a nice one to start with.

Soldato
I've been drinking far too much Bulmers in this lovely hot weather we've been having, and I can still spell it :p.

Find it much drier than Magners so it's more to my liking.

Edit: Now Cobra is nice.

I just come back from a week holiday, then it was my brothers wedding.. I been drunk for the last two weeks non stop. plus me british is not two good.. :D

Like prevs posted I prefer sharper tasting drinks.. so thats my I perfer magners to bulmers. (at least I can tell the difference, some of my mates can't)

Oh kingfisher for me when I'm eating a curry...

Last edited:
Soldato
Drink a few and find what you like.

Probably start with the weaker ones. Miller on tap if you can find it would be a nice one to start with.

i see. so its down to personal preferance rather than one being a lot better than the other? however ive noted down to avoid skol like the plague. :p

Soldato
I rate it somewhere below Carlsberg, which is as bad as lagers get. Even Lidl unheard-of brands don't taste as bad. They just taste of weak lager rather than chemicals. I'd rather drink XXXX or SKOL.
There are no chemicals additives in Stella, it's an urban myth, read the ingredients. Chemicals may be produced in the brewing process but the raw ingredients are the same as any lager.
Carling is the worst widely available larger on the market. A British lager, lol. We do beer/ale the Europeans do lager. If you want a decent lager buy continental.

Last edited:
Man of Honour

I thought he said he wanted to become a full-time lager drinker and you are just trying to put him off lager entirely? Cheers for the info about Magners/Bulmers though, I wouldn't have wanted to resort to drinking the stuff to find out. ;)

-Tauren- - yep it is personal preference, Miller and Budweiser are both pretty bland and inoffensive so might be a decent starting point before moving onto better/tastier lagers. Cobra or Tiger are both rather tasty but easy to drink so are probably worth considering.

Soldato
I wish I can remember the lager I had when I was at a games conference over in London in Number 1 Leicester Square, it was on the 6th floor, in the View Lounge. (all very swish in their)
They had Cobra and something else I hadn't heard of before or since. It was lovely....

Anyone been there and know what it could have been?

Associate
There are no chemicals additives in Stella, it's an urban myth, read the ingredients. Chemicals may be produced in the brewing process but the raw ingredients are the same as any larger.

Carling is the worst widely available larger on the market. A British larger, lol. We do beer/ale the Europeans do larger. If you want a decent larger buy continental.

Hardly the words of a Lager aficionado.

Associate
I had a weird bottled lager at a Chinese in London.

Name pronounced completely different to how it was spelt.

Anyone got any idea's to jog my memory? Was very well flavored and easy to drink.

Edit: it's not Zhu Jiang

Edit2: Pretty confident now it was Tsingtao

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I had a weird bottled lager at a Chinese in London.

Name pronounced completely different to how it was spelt.

Tsingtao is the most common I can think of but it is pronounced the same way you'd think (or at least the same way I'd think anyway). Definitely a Chinese beer though? Because Asahi (although Japanese) is very drinkable. :)

//edit ah your 2nd edit just beat me.

Soldato
Poor man's?

So paying over the odds for a minging lager like Stella is a good thing?

Good to see you fell for the advertising.

tbh there are better lagers out there than Stella, but imo Stella beats all of those.

These days if I had the choice of a Lager or an Ale i'd choose an Ale. Unless of course it was Leffe (which i'm not sure you can call Lager anyway).

Soldato
Poor man's?

So paying over the odds for a minging lager like Stella is a good thing?

Good to see you fell for the advertising.
I don't mind paying a bit extra for a lager that tastes nice and is slightly stronger. Carling, Fosters, Budweiser and Carlsberg are all cheep but fowl. I'd prefer to drink Becks, Kronenbourg, Staropramen, San Miguel, Peroni and pay the slightly higher price. I've never seen advert for any of these lagers.

Soldato
I don't mind paying a bit extra for a lager that tastes nice and is slightly stronger. Carling, Fosters, Budweiser and Carlsberg are all cheep but fowl. I'd prefer to drink Becks, Kronenbourg, Staropramen, San Miguel, Peroni and pay the slightly higher price. I've never seen advert for any of these lagers.

slightly OT but I went to the Staropramen brewery in Prague, soooo many different varieties and oh so cheap. Me and the Mrs had a really good night out there all for a total of £15!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom