Stellaris - Paradox Interactive

Soldato
Finally won a game. Smallest galaxy possible, 150 stars, against 2 standard AI and one advanced start. My previous games were much bigger in scope, and I ended up getting bogged down in micro-managing things I didn't want to manage.

Wormhole travel was extremely effective on the small map, as 3 or 4 wormhole generators could get me from one side of the galaxy to the other. It allowed me to establish outposts and colonies on the other side of rival empires, thereby constricting their expansion.

Associate
Still enjoying the game at CE 2270. My galaxy (max stars, spiral) is pretty much filled out now, so I'm getting to the point where it's war or nothing, but as the UNE, aggression is kind of beyond the scope of us gentile humans...

I'm kind of dissappointed by that. I still have plenty of techs to research, so that's keeping me interested for now, but I don't think there's anywhere near the depth of EUIV. Knowing Paradox though, in a couple of years, this game will still be irresistible.

The diplomacy however is really weak atm, and the random events are far too few. It's a nice change that comets are a positive though!

Associate
I feel like I want to post my tops tips as well. I'm shooting for stuff that hasn't been covered so far:

1) Explore as much as you can, as early as you can. If that means an extra science ship, and an extra scientist, do it. Most importantly, it will make you aware of nearby planets you can colonise. Also, you'll find star systems that have excellent resources.

2) Take colonisation and expand quickly, but use frontier outposts sparingly. They should not exist as your main source of border expansion. I only ever use them in two situations. Firstly, to shore up a border vs another empire and prevent their expansion. Secondly, to secure a close sector of expensive systems. Aim to colonise big planets (c. 20+ pop) first. Any areas with huge resources, but no colonisable planets are game for a frontier post.

3) Special resources are excellent. At least I only have experience of Betharian Stone (I've researched Lythurgic Gas but have none within hundreds of ly) so far, but if you get the technology for Betharian stone...take it. The Betharian power plants are superb. I can only imagine the other are brilliant as well.

4) The diplomacy system is really simple. If you want more, play EUIV. Or wait for a DLC.

In the meantime, don't ally if you want to be independant. Your allies have a say in whether you can declare war. From my experience, a DoW needs unanimous consent from all nations within an alliance. I've been able to veto my alliance against war numerous times now.

Soldato
3) Special resources are excellent. At least I only have experience of Betharian Stone (I've researched Lythurgic Gas but have none within hundreds of ly) so far, but if you get the technology for Betharian stone...take it. The Betharian power plants are superb. I can only imagine the other are brilliant as well.

I have only encountered 2 more. 1 gives a huge bonus of happiness to the democratic nations, the other gives 10% explosives strength to mines (something like that) or 10% explosive power to weapons of a station and the fleet around it.

Soldato
As I was expanding, having capped the fleet allowance to 42/42 (beelining for bigger ships and guns since the start of the game), suddenly north of my position a alien race appeared, demanded to demolish everything. Refused and attacked with a fleet strength 22,000!!!!!!!
20160519231559_1_zpszbrfrseg.jpg

-_-

Not lucky game, considering also that one alien species I was probing, founded XCOM

20160519220503_1_zpsx3czv7fb.jpg

Soldato
That might have been one of those advanced start AI empires. They have overwhelming power in the early and mid game, but they don't expand.

Basically, try not to antagonise them, because they will roflstomp you. Establish an embassy with them as soon as you meet them. Maybe create a small vassal state between you to reduce border friction - you can always reintegrate it later.

Soldato
That might have been one of those advanced start AI empires. They have overwhelming power in the early and mid game, but they don't expand.

Basically, try not to antagonise them, because they will roflstomp you. Establish an embassy with them as soon as you meet them. Maybe create a small vassal state between you to reduce border friction - you can always reintegrate it later.

Actually I had set advance start to 0.
And this guy just popped on the map when the science ship was deep into his territory, demanding to destroy everything because I am pestilence to the galaxy and blocking him for further expansion

Soldato
Well I played this game for about 12 hours so far. The start of the game is very good but by the time I got to the middle and getting bogged down in just fast forwarding to get my researches done, it got a tad boring. I joined a federation and its kinda boring unless you wait till your turn to be leader. In which I declared war ever chance I got. This game will be amazing by the time they add more dlc etc. So I think I'll put this aside for now and play my huge steam list.

Associate
Actually I had set advance start to 0.
And this guy just popped on the map when the science ship was deep into his territory, demanding to destroy everything because I am pestilence to the galaxy and blocking him for further expansion

It'll be a Fallen Empire, depending on their personality they can get angry if you settle planets near them and as they have the best tech in the game you need to have a massive end game fleet to fight them.

Soldato
It'll be a Fallen Empire, depending on their personality they can get angry if you settle planets near them and as they have the best tech in the game you need to have a massive end game fleet to fight them.

Is the guy at the north where we do not have even common borders. And he isnt in federation with the guy on my south

Soldato
Well I played this game for about 12 hours so far. The start of the game is very good but by the time I got to the middle and getting bogged down in just fast forwarding to get my researches done, it got a tad boring. I joined a federation and its kinda boring unless you wait till your turn to be leader. In which I declared war ever chance I got. This game will be amazing by the time they add more dlc etc. So I think I'll put this aside for now and play my huge steam list.

Paradox always work hard to perfect their games, i'm holding off playing it until I get the 'best' (always subjective admittedly) experience possible from the 1st time load it up.

So far it seems set to be, from all i've read and watched, to be to be another classic from Paradox, but not quite yet.

Associate
You see one thing I'm finding hard is how people control multiple worlds as seems its pretty limited. I now have 7/6 so losing 10% of income etc as I found a research appeal to let me increase it by 1!!!. Some empires have 20-30 planets>? /facepalm.

Associate
You see one thing I'm finding hard is how people control multiple worlds as seems its pretty limited. I now have 7/6 so losing 10% of income etc as I found a research appeal to let me increase it by 1!!!. Some empires have 20-30 planets>? /facepalm.

Sectors. Mentioned several times in this thread already so look back for how to do it. Also it's one of the few things I thought the in-game tutorial did well was explained what they were and how to set them up.

Soldato

Yeah you have to use sectors, but to be fair I can control 17 planets at this point, so it does get better

Back
Top Bottom