Stickman 2: Return of the YOLO...

Man of Honour
So... I am finally starting to come somewhere close to beginning to lift again. I have not gone quietly into the night, but have spent the past few weeks doing A LOT of rehab for my jammed hip and remedial stuff for how I love in the squat.

For those who have no idea why, this was because I had a suspected tear in my acetabulum... Meaning Olympic lifting was out, and squatting like an American Powerlifter was the order of the day (I.e ultra wide and 1" ROM).

My hip is getting better now, and I am getting itchy, so it is time to log again.

I have been deadlifting, benching and doing light, slow squats for the past few weeks, all whilst on a slight deficit, meaning I haven't really gone anywhere, but am not feeling atrocious. It also means my lifts look something like:

DEADLIFT: 170kg *1
BENCH: 75kg *10 (whatever that equals)
SQUAT: 85kg *5

My body weight has plateaued at around 90kg because I am struggling to motivate myself for the last 5kg to peel myself. I also like not feeling like death.

The plan for the moment is simple: slowly ramp up the food so I can begin to gain a bit of awesome back. It would be easy to go full bore at food, but I don't have time to hit the gym as much as I used to, so slow and steady is how it will have to work.

Routine will be based around my previously discovered three day split (chest, back, legs) but we shall see how my body holds together. Olympic lifting is out beyond power movements, so let us see how much of a Powerlifter I can be...

Thanks for checking in!

Soldato
Will be watching closely :)

With that split, I think it'd be awesome to do Barbell overhead press as part of one day (either chest or back), and DB press on leg day. Grow them shoulders :cool:

Man of Honour
OP
Yes - I managed to duff my hip up in December and so didn't squat or deadlift for two and a bit months. :O

I will also be avoiding serious Olympic lifting for the foreseeable future: whilst my hip is now stable, going for a 90% full catch is somewhere I am not prepared to go yet...

Associate
...squatting like an American Powerlifter was the order of the day (I.e ultra wide and 1" ROM).

My hip is getting better now, and I am getting itchy, so it is time to log again.
Olympic lifting is out beyond power movements, so let us see how much of a Powerlifter I can be...

Oh the excitement for this training log is real. I'm extremely interested to see how you'll get on with just the power lifts for a while.

Man of Honour
OP
Not a great week, this... Work is interfering with real life!

DEADLIFT (WU) 130*3, 150*2, 160*1, 175*1
DEADLIFT (4) 152.5-152.5-152.5 Getting tired by the end... Started pulling with my back.
SQUAT (5) 60-80-90-90 Hip started feeling weird, so packed it in...

Not an amazing workout, but I left it too late in the evening. Still, nice to get moving properly again!

Man of Honour
OP
Is that a 175kg deadlift?

Are you calling a 175kg deadlift a warm up?!

Heh... It is a carry-over from when I started deadlifting again a few weeks ago and had to watch my hip: work up to a max for a session to see how it felt, and then train at around 80% of it (hence the odd number of working reps in each set).

So by the time I have lifted 175kg cold, 150kg for reps feels like not very much. :)

Shamelessly plagiarised from the "Squat Nemesis" ramp phase...

Man of Honour
OP
Hardly any gym time due to work... Was also stil exhausted on Saturday, so not even arms were worked. :(

DEADLIFT WARMUP (VARIOUS) 60(5)-100(3)-130(3)-150(1)-170(1) Ran out of room on the bar, but figured 180kg was doable given how 170kg went up...
DEADLIFT (4) 160-160-160-130(5) Three working sets and one to top it off. Nice.
SQUATS (5) 60-90-92.5-92.5 Hip is clearly improving (as bottomed out for the first time in around four months... Only problem was my back being exhausted! :)

I had a rather painful spasm in my left lay near the basal insertion, so I almost didn't train today (it felt like being knifed in my rib cage), but figured an interesting way to deal with it was pull on it. Hard. :) So now I just have some low-grade soreness there, which may or may not be good (the next of of days will tell if I have now got a bigger micro tear in there or if it has straightened out)...

Hopefully a bit more training this week!

Man of Honour
OP
Finally got around to not watching Star Wars...

POWER CLEAN (3) 60-80-90-80
SNATCH HIGH PULL (10) 80-90-90
BARBELL ROW (10) 70-75-75
SINGLE ARM ROW (12) 30-35-35

45s rest between sets was (and will be) sore! The fact that I can power clean as much as I can currently squat also amuses me. :D

Man of Honour
OP
Split session due to benching at a bro's and using some gash machines at work...

BENCH (10) 50-70-70
GASH MACHINE PRESS (12) Something
GASH SHOULDER PRESS (12) Who knows.

Pump was ok, but I'm not sure any lifting actually took place at the office gym...

Man of Honour
OP
Just a fortnight in and I will have to change my routine - deadlifts and squats on the same day is getting harder than it needs to be!

DEADLIFT (WU) 60(3)-100(3)-130(3)-150-170(3) Couldn't be bothered to add more plates, so pulled 170kg again...
DEADLIFT (4) 160-150(5)-150(5)-150(5)
BACK SQUAT (5) 90-100-100-100 Woohoo! Triple figures for the first time in nearly five months! :rolleyes: :D

So yes, pulling a weight as close to my max on deadlifts before squatting isn't a great idea, so will have to rethink how I am training. A nice problem to have, but will probably swap the deads out for power snatch or something...

Man of Honour
OP
VChest day, at my other office gym...

POWER CLEAN -> 3* POWER JERK 50-70-80-80-80
POWER CLEAN (5) 80
POWER CLEAN -> 5* PUSH PRESS 50-60-60
DB BENCH (10) 18-25-27.5
PUSH UP (101) BW-BW-BW
TRIZE ss/w PULLOVER ss/w LAT RAISES Loads.

So much pump. It was awesome (for me).

Back
Top Bottom