• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Still using trusty Q6600

Don
Q6600 was hands down my best CPU upgrade. Kept it for 3 years, then moved onto 2500K, didn't notice much of a leap between them.

Before that I would upgrade my CPU about once a year.

With an SSD, that really helps bridge the performance gap for day to day tasks.

Associate
Q6600 was hands down my best CPU upgrade. Kept it for 3 years, then moved onto 2500K, didn't notice much of a leap between them.

Before that I would upgrade my CPU about once a year.

With an SSD, that really helps bridge the performance gap for day to day tasks.

I missed the Q6600, but the 2500K I later bought (running sweetly at 4.5 Ghz) is similarly mighty. I genuinely don't know when I'll have to replace it (for anything other than SLI scenarios etc.).

Soldato
My family are still using my old [email protected] GHz, recently upgraded the machine with an SSD and R7 260X I got relatively cheap and it's still doing well given how old the underlying components are.

That said, just agreed a £100 budget to try and see if I can modernise the system, or at least get it to a stage it'll be easier to get repair replacements, saw an i7-920 for £25 recently, almost grabbed it for them until I saw some mobo prices atm!...

Associate
Upgraded my E6600 to an E8400 for a fiver; which arrived today :)
vid on the e8400 is 1.3 :( but it does 3.6ghz on stock and haven't tried pushing it yet or lowering voltage either for that matter

I broke two pins on the HSF when installing the new cpu
Temps were 52c idle and hit 95c after a few seconds in Prime :o

A quick ghetto fix using two bolts, two nuts and two washers and its now 37c idle and 63c prime

not bade for a fiver considering my E6600 idled at 50+ and load was 70+ at 2.8ghz

should let me play Attila and hold back the upgrades for another few years :D

Associate
OP
Hi Overclockers peeps,

Just to report still using my q6600! In mid 2017.

Seems to run the odd newer game I buy off steam.

Runs the current version of office fine. Still use Handbrake to speedily rip DVDs (not commercial ones!)

Still running Windows 7 - I could have updated to 10 but hey - if it ain't broke...

I think Windows 7 support runs out in 2020 - so that's when I'm planning an upgrade.

I upgrade tech when necessary - just got the latest ipad as my ipad air 1 was running a bit slow when it came to loading big PDFs - but if the tech still works for what you want it for I am happy to leave it be!

Anyone else still using this workhorse of a CPU?

Will

Caporegime
We refurbish a lot of machines with quads in as they're still very capable, even compared the first generation i5's.

We have 2 Q8300 systems and a Q6600 somewhere.

Soldato
Hi Overclockers peeps,

Just to report still using my q6600! In mid 2017.

Seems to run the odd newer game I buy off steam.

Runs the current version of office fine. Still use Handbrake to speedily rip DVDs (not commercial ones!)

Still running Windows 7 - I could have updated to 10 but hey - if it ain't broke...

I think Windows 7 support runs out in 2020 - so that's when I'm planning an upgrade.

I upgrade tech when necessary - just got the latest ipad as my ipad air 1 was running a bit slow when it came to loading big PDFs - but if the tech still works for what you want it for I am happy to leave it be!

Anyone else still using this workhorse of a CPU?

Will
my friend is still using my Q6600, recently upgraded him from a 5870 > 970 & it runs very smoothy even on Witcher 3 On High at 1080p

Windows 7 support is already over. Security Only until 2020

Soldato
i only last year upgraded to a i5-6600k from a phenom II 955 based system and the difference was night and day with the same ssd and same gpu, guess my old 270x was bottle knecked a wee bit :)

built the phenom II system in august 2009, dads still rocking his phenom II rig he built a year later now with 16 gig ram (he got my old 8 gig mem) and my old 270x plus my spare mainboard and cpu as spare's incase they break and he still won't over clock it :)

he got rid of his desk and stuff and just has the tower under a wall mounted tv and his laptop he seems as happy as a pig in magic land :)

my m8 still has his q9550 only thing its missing is a gpu and psu, harddrive and its a working rig he had that same time i got my phenom II now its just sitting there in a nice blue koolance case that used to water cool a athlon xp barton core lol

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I upgraded from a Q9550 to an i7 4820K - paired with OCZ Blade memory (basically DDR3 modules on a DDR2 DIMM) which really helped to open it up nothing else before that felt like it was worth the money. A highly clocked Q9550 really held its own for quite awhile. Tempted to pull out the parts and do a suicide shot see what that chip can really do - had it at 4GHz on an EVGA 750 FTW board which really didn't like overclocking 45nm quads and 4.5 or 4.6GHz stable on a P45 board and I suspect it would have gone on beyond that.

Man of Honour
Let it die. It was a great cpu, but by god man, its a relic now. A 2nd hand 2500k would smash it to bits, let alone any of the newer cpus out today.

Depends what your usage is - my dad still uses one of my Q6600s in his desktop still holds up pretty well - one of my more used systems has a Atom Z8750 with the performance profile and BIOS I'm using performance is around that of a Q6600 in many cases and it rarely feel slow - obviously paired up with a more modern GPU for more recent games would be another story.

Soldato
Let it die. It was a great cpu, but by god man, its a relic now. A 2nd hand 2500k would smash it to bits, let alone any of the newer cpus out today.
Even a relic can have its uses. Got a Am1 5150 sitting in a tiny tiny case which has been fantastic for anything office/media center related.

Soldato
My old Q6600 is still going strong in my Grans pc :D it's been on 24/7 most of its life. Even the somewhat ancient 3.5" OCZ Vertex 2 SSD us flying along with no trouble.

Absolutely legendary chip, just like sandy Bridge.

Soldato
Okay, well I wouldn't think it'd be great for gaming anymore, which the OP has mentioned he does from time to time. While I'm sure it would still serve well as an office cpu, this is an enthusiast forum so I think this man deserves to treat himself and retire the old dog

Soldato
Okay, well I wouldn't think it'd be great for gaming anymore, which the OP has mentioned he does from time to time. While I'm sure it would still serve well as an office cpu, this is an enthusiast forum so I think this man deserves to treat himself and retire the old dog

I think you have the enthusiast part all mixed up. It doesn't have to mean fastest possible. Tinkering comes to mind as being at very core of an enthusiast. But on topic, yes the core 2 duo is getting pretty long in the tooth for gaming :) totally agree with you on that.

Back
Top Bottom