Stolen iPhone X

alx

alx

Soldato
Modern phones are very accurate even indoors. If I use Google's find my phone feature I can locate it to an accuracy of 2 metres inside a building. Once nearby anyway you can initiate a ring command so the phone makes a noise making it even easier to locate. The lack of accuracy excuse only applied to the olden days where GPS satellites and receivers in devices weren't as reliable.

And if it's in a multi floor building or tower block? Even if it was emitting a noise could be an almost impossible task to find.

Soldato
A friend had his car and laptop stolen a couple of weeks ago. The police came round just to tell him they wouldn't be doing a lot about it. Luckily the car was found dumped at the side of a road because the thief ran out of petrol. It was almost empty when it was stolen lol

TBH I think it's getting to the point where you might as well mob up, grab a bat and go and get it back yourself. The police don't seem interested in helping with actual crime anymore, only name calling on social media.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Tell him to give a prayer of thanks to whoever stole it, and buy an Android phone instead.

Apple-does-Less-for-More.png

Man of Honour
The police don't seem interested in helping with actual crime anymore, only name calling on social media.

The only time police are interested is if it's classified as a hate crime in which case it is prioritised. Even then it's a very small part of what the police do, but seems to get the press in a tizzy which means that people end up repeating the crap here too.

Soldato
True ^^

However this case stills seems to be worth a proper enquiry as there is a chance to get back evidence and property.

If the OP can see the photos this person is taking, can see their location they may be able to see the people they are calling messages being sent etc. If nothing else, going outside the suspected property and getting the phone to ring at full volume. It's definitely worth a go imo.

Man of Honour
And if it's in a multi floor building or tower block? Even if it was emitting a noise could be an almost impossible task to find.

Which is why common sense would dictate waiting until it's moving around or left the building. You can see if it's in a block of flats as it's shown on maps anyway. It's not an impossible mission.

Permabanned
You need to pull that pineapple out your arse before it starts rotting fella.

As if the Police have the time, or the inclination for that matter, to investigate these 'crimes' on behalf of the 100s of muppets (who technically, by and large, don't even own their handset yet) who call up crying everyday that someone has 'stolen' their phone, when the reality is they've just left it somewhere and now it's gone.

And it's nothing about having a superiority complex, it's just common sense.

Soldato
I’m sure rather than these daft theories guessing what police are/aren’t interested in that it actually depends on how much resources they have when you call.

Perhaps if the crime had taken place another week you would have been met with a different response and more action could be taken? How about calling again and asking if they are less busy and might send someone to look based upon the evidence you have?

Soldato
I’m sure rather than these daft theories guessing what police are/aren’t interested in that it actually depends on how much resources they have when you call.

Perhaps if the crime had taken place another week you would have been met with a different response and more action could be taken? How about calling again and asking if they are less busy and might send someone to look based upon the evidence you have?

This.

I had a friend have his wife's car get stolen and (his version admittedly) the police could not have given less of a **** and were almost purposefully unhelpful.

About a month later I was in Newcastle parked in a space by the roadside, some old **** head was pulling out of the place behind me and slammed into my bumper causing some damage. I saw it happen and tried to get Infront of him but he sped off. Got straight on to 101 (I got his licence) by the end of the day they had been round his house. He denied he realised he had hit the car but they got his details for me, ticked him off and case closed. So for something relatively minor I got amazing help.

Purely anecdotal but there is probably some truth in what you say about when you catch them.

Soldato
Which is why common sense would dictate waiting until it's moving around or left the building. You can see if it's in a block of flats as it's shown on maps anyway. It's not an impossible mission.

'common sense' might be to do as you say....

The actual reality of what you describe is almost certainly likely to amount to a situation where the police are engaging in directed surveillance which requires fairly high level authorities and justification.

not an 'impossible mission' but one not at all likely to be carried out

Soldato
The only time police are interested is if it's classified as a hate crime in which case it is prioritised. Even then it's a very small part of what the police do, but seems to get the press in a tizzy which means that people end up repeating the crap here too.

Frankly I get fed up of the crap you post in threads like this. Not necessarily what I’ve quoted but the constant defending of taking no action especially when some people like op are able to locate their stolen goods.

It’s not acceptable.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

We had some expensive diagnostic equipment stolen from a workshop (>£15,000) and reported it to the police. Apart from a crime reference number, no one even came to the workplace despite having a list of possible suspects (identified through our ID badge swipe logs). Saying they weren't bothered would be downplaying it.

One of our guys trawled eBay for a few days and saw it appear listed, so he contacted the seller. Through the messages he was able to obtain their address (under the illusion that he wanted to collect) and passed it on to the police under the crime reference number. By cross-checking the list of possible subjects against the ebay address we discovered that the ebay address matched a contractor's next of kin address, so were 100% confident we knew where to send the police.

A few days went by when we heard nothing so we enquired and got a less-than stellar response i.e. "sorry, that address falls under a different force, blah blah have to wait for them to pick up the case blah blah kthxbye". The police later showed up that day to take a statement. Several more days passed and we heard nothing. It eventually took another phone call insisting that we know where the item was and that if it is sold then we are even less likely to see it, losing any hope of ever getting it back.

I can emphases with the OP because when the police did show up at the address, the next of kin panicked and admitted the whole thing :o

Man of Honour
Frankly I get fed up of the crap you post in threads like this. Not necessarily what I’ve quoted but the constant defending of taking no action especially when some people like op are able to locate their stolen goods.

It’s not acceptable.

To be frank, no, it's not acceptable. Every officer I work with likes doing a good job. They hate when jobs get filed when there is still a chance of getting a detection and prosecution. They hate it when they go to Facebook domestic harassment jobs where both parties are equally at fault. I think this theft in this job should be attended and investigated - that's what I'd want to happen if I were the victim.

With all that said, we have a set of priorities, domestics being of the big ones where whilst most of them don't need police intervention, many have severe and profound consequences which the Police do help with. We have policies that mean all incidents classified as domestics get a certain response. The same is for hate crime. We used to be able to give this level of service and also focus on other areas of crime. We simply don't have the resources to do that anymore. So where is the focus? Ultimately we use the THOR model: Threat, Harm Or Risk. That's how we prioritise. That means that the perceived threat from an incident being classified as domestic gets a different response to a theft where there isn't the same threat harm or risk.

Is that a decision that any police officer wants to make? No. They would like to be able to do all of this, but we don't have the budget. Despite some of the misleading press, day to day Police response is really stretched. I wish the public could understand and see the level we're at.

Back
Top Bottom