Streaming slow on home network, most devices/apps are buffering

If you openly torrent you're going to get some lawyers sniffing around and sending letters pretty quickly, regardless of the ISP you use. But BT don't throttle anything.

Cool BT is sounding like the better optioon.

Yes I am @bledd it made no difference.

Zen sent me a new router I tested that and the issue still remains for the most part.

And you know what is strange, I tested a VPN and I'm getting full speed on pretty much everything now..

I didn't think Zen throttled or did anything else like that so I'm confused as to why the performance is better when using a VPN

Well we use IPTV services too, and that basically was operating at 10% of our internet speed. With a VPN is back to 100% speed.

I thought Zen don't throttle or limit anything but this experience has made me question them now!

Probably those on Zen. :cry:

I get 920/110 all day, every day.

Haha..... :( :( :(

Is that via wired connection with those speeds?

The Fritzbox 7530 we have - Wireless access point compliant with IEEE 802.11ac, n, g, a so speeds up to 866MB it states

Wifi Adapter I have is Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 - Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)

So hoping I can get near 900MB..

You'll struggle to get more out of 450 Mbps with an ac wifi access point.

I use a Dream Machine SE, and a nanoHD AP, I get 450-500 Mbps around most of the house over wifi.

If you don't have many wired devices, I see little point getting 900 Mbps FTTP, as it's going to cost a fair amount to get 6e APs around the place to be able to make the most of it. But then again you will get 100 Mbps upload which is really nice to have.

The Fritzbox 7530 we have - Wireless access point compliant with IEEE 802.11ac, n, g, a so speeds up to 866MB it states

Wifi Adapter I have is Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 - Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax)

So hoping I can get near 900MB..

As @ChrisD. suggests you won't get 900MB on wifi with a standard AC access point, your wifi card is decent though I have this in a couple of machines and using Wifi6 with 160Mhz channels 900+ is realistic with a Wifi6 AP supporting similar specs, won't need 6e the AX200 doesn't support it.

Last edited:
So on the router it states: Max. data rate possible 866 / 866 Mbit/s, 80mhz, 2x2

So the WiFi card is fine but the router is AC so that's the limiter here. So essentially I'd need to get a WiFi 6 router to get near 900MB. Is that right?

Any suggestions on a router? Thank you!

Any suggestions on a router? Thank you!
You ideally want to separate out the router from the wifi if you can. You could simply disable wifi on the supplied unit, and plug in a 6E Access Point centrally. Be aware, if there's any walls in between you and the AP, you won't get full speed. That's why I said wifi 6e is expensive, as you ideally need an AP in every room for full speed everywhere.

What are you doing on wifi to need that kind of bandwidth? What's wrong with 'just' ~400 Mbps? It's fine for 99% of people.

You ideally want to separate out the router from the wifi if you can. You could simply disable wifi on the supplied unit, and plug in a 6E Access Point centrally. Be aware, if there's any walls in between you and the AP, you won't get full speed. That's why I said wifi 6e is expensive, as you ideally need an AP in every room for full speed everywhere.

What are you doing on wifi to need that kind of bandwidth? What's wrong with 'just' ~400 Mbps? It's fine for 99% of people.

Sorry I'm being dumb. So I don't have to buy a new router technically, I could just buy a WiFi 6 access point and connect that to the router via ethernet and that should improve the connection speed? If that doesn't work then put an access point in my office where my PC is. But then if I get 2 access points the cost would probably be equal to a WiFi 6 router.

Well I have the 900MB package as it was only £10 more than the 500MB, and who doesn't want the fastest speed they can get!

I don't have to buy a new router technically
Correct. Consumer ISP 'routers' are a router/firewall/switch and wireless access point in one. They're not the best in all departments, but they are good for regular home users to just browse the internet and watch some Netflix etc.
I could just buy a WiFi 6 access point and connect that to the router via ethernet and that should improve the connection speed?
Yes, but placement is key. There's no point putting one in the corner of the house.
If that doesn't work then put an access point in my office where my PC is
You're better off running a cable directly to the PC, or to a switch next to the PC.
But then if I get 2 access points the cost would probably be equal to a WiFi 6 router.
Hence why I said it was expensive in my first reply.

Correct. Consumer ISP 'routers' are a router/firewall/switch and wireless access point in one. They're not the best in all departments, but they are good for regular home users to just browse the internet and watch some Netflix etc.

Yes, but placement is key. There's no point putting one in the corner of the house.

You're better off running a cable directly to the PC, or to a switch next to the PC.

Hence why I said it was expensive in my first reply.

The router is downstairs in the living room, my office is upstairs, it's 5 metres from router to top of the stairs, then 4 metres from there to my PC, so it's not exactly a huge distance between the two devices.

There's only really one place for the access point to go and that's by the router/TV. I know that's the best option but my office is in the opposite corner of the house. So I'd have to drill through the floor up into the bedroom then up into the loft which is a lot of hassle to be honest.

Hmm, I think a good WiFi 6 access point seems like the best option overall. Do you recommend any?

Thanks for the information you've been extremely helpful.

Hmm, I think a good WiFi 6 access point seems like the best option overall. Do you recommend any?
You're not going to get decent WiFi speeds in your office if the WiFi AP is at the other end of the house, it's physically not possible.

Running a cable really isn't that difficult, you can go around skirting, up via the stairs well hidden etc, even into the loft and down again. Or go external.

If you really are insistent on not running a cable, then get a mesh system with a dedicated WiFi backhaul and place nodes around the house.

You're not going to get decent WiFi speeds in your office if the WiFi AP is at the other end of the house, it's physically not possible.

Running a cable really isn't that difficult, you can go around skirting, up via the stairs well hidden etc, even into the loft and down again. Or go external.

If you really are insistent on not running a cable, then get a mesh system with a dedicated WiFi backhaul and place nodes around the house.
Wow okay I didn't think the distance would be an issue that's surprising.

TP-Link Deco X20 AX1800 Whole Home Mesh Wi-Fi 6 System, AI-Driven Mesh, Up to 4,000 sq ft Coverage, 1 GHz Quad-Core CPU, With TP-Link HomeShield's kit, Pack of 2

So the above seems quite decent it's two devices so I could place one next to the router the another in the hallway?

Be aware, if there's any walls in between you and the AP, you won't get full speed.

Wow okay I didn't think the distance would be an issue that's surprising.
I did say. :)

I don't know much about Mesh systems, you need to find one which is tri-band I think they're called, the one you linked is dual band only so you lose available bandwidth because the units use the same radios to talk to one another as well as serve client traffic. They have a radio dedicated to backhaul which leaves the others free for client communications. Some of the systems require a subscription as well I believe.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom