Streaming slow on home network, most devices/apps are buffering

Not only that WiFi range is limited my physics and legal power limits. It doesn’t matter how much you spend on a WiFi access point, the range of the access point with an omnidirectional antenna should be pretty much identical.

The way to improve WiFi is to add more access points which are plugged in to the main router with a cable to increase coverage and use access points with more antenna/radios to increase through put.

Pretty much any old consumer router swill deal with a 1gb connection and an extensive home network but you can’t beat physics with WiFi.

Last edited:
Myself and others have already tried to explain that. Seemingly all ignored and went and bought some random router due to advertising. Bravo Asus.

For the cost of that abomination sold by a company who has no regard for customer security, you could have paid toward an electrician or CCTV installer to run a cable to your office.

If you have Deco X20, why did you buy the Asus? Seems completely pointless to me. Or are you just following your own narrative no matter what anyone here says?
I don't get the hate for this router lol. It's got good specs and is reviewed pretty highly. I've asked a few times now which ones are better in that price range but nobody suggest any then when I mention one I've trialed you just slate it a few times. Bit confused?

I didn't know how the Deco would perform so what's the harm in testing it out?

Jeez calm down dude. I appreciate your advice but you are a bit condescending to be honest. Everyone has different setups and knowledge levels, we're not all experts.

I am taking people's advice hence why I'm trying to plan a wired home network right now.

Not only that WiFi range is limited my physics and legal power limits. It doesn’t matter how much you spend on a WiFi access point, the range of the access point with an omnidirectional antenna should be pretty much identical.

The way to improve WiFi is to add more access points which are plugged in to the main router with a cable to increase coverage and use access points with more antenna/radios to increase through put.

Pretty much any old consumer router swill deal with a 1gb connection and an extensive home network but you can’t beat physics with WiFi.

That makes sense thanks for the explanation. Part of me wants to test things out myself so I can learn and do some trial/error. I've learned some things which is cool.

Yeah I don't really have a place in the hallway upstairs to place an AP so there's no midway point for one. It's either downstairs by the router and then in my office. If that makes sense?

No problem. I'm looking into a wired network now. Just reading up about switches and what I require for that.

Will be a pain to do but worth it long term as advised by people on this thread.

Still quite mind blown by the performance!

Last edited:
Jeez calm down dude. I appreciate your advice but you are a bit condescending to be honest.
A few of us have given you some really solid advice. Which you've ignored! You then asked about this Asus router, two people IIRC said it won't do anything for you, yet you've bought it anyway! The reason I haven't answered your question about which router better is because it's been covered - your ISP one and a proper separate WiFi setup be it a decent mesh system (which you scoffed at the price of) or Access Points (which indecently you can mount to the ceiling upstairs if you put cabling in the loft). You've ignored this and bought some 'gaming' monstrosity that will only somewhat improve WiFi. The Fritz Box is actually a really capable router, but it's let down by poor WiFi compared to newer/alternate models. Hence suggesting just get separate WiFi kit.

People get annoyed when they give up their free time to help people and subsequently the advice given is ignored, this has been going on since Wednesday with some solid advice.

FWIW most reviews of routers online are either paid reviews if done by YouTubers, or by people that don't really know what they're talking about because it's faster than their ISP supplied one and it must be good because it's got antennas sticking out of it and it's a 'gaming' device.

Last edited:
A few of us have given you some really solid advice. Which you've ignored! You then asked about this Asus router, two people IIRC said it won't do anything for you, yet you've bought it anyway! The reason I haven't answered your question about which router better is because it's been covered - your ISP one and a proper separate WiFi setup be it a decent mesh system (which you scoffed at the price of) or Access Points (which indecently you can mount to the ceiling upstairs if you put cabling in the loft). You've ignored this and bought some 'gaming' monstrosity that will only somewhat improve WiFi. The Fritz Box is actually a really capable router, but it's let down by poor WiFi compared to newer/alternate models. Hence suggesting just get separate WiFi kit.

People get annoyed when they give up their free time to help people and subsequently the advice given is ignored, this has been going on since Wednesday with some solid advice.

FWIW most reviews of routers online are either paid reviews if done by YouTubers, or by people that don't really know what they're talking about because it's faster than their ISP supplied one and it must be good because it's got antennas sticking out of it and it's a 'gaming' device.

I know you have and I am thankful for that. I have not ignored the advice; I wanted to test different setups to see if one may have worked in my situation as everyone has a different house layout etc. On the off chance that a simple WiFi setup would have been ok. That is all.

I have not lost out on anything but now I have experimented with a few different devices which was fun to do.

Either way; I am going down the wired route now. So I'm looking at getting a simple switch to do the job. They all seem quite similiar so I guess most will be fine for the job and ethernet cables; well again shouldn't be too difficult to find one.

Also are there any settings for the ethernet adapter that should be looked at or changed? I guess it's fine as it is but there are a lot in the settings so figured there may be one or two that might be good to look at

Last edited:
Also are there any settings for the ethernet adapter that should be looked at or changed? I guess it's fine as it is but there are a lot in the settings so figured there may be one or two that might be good to look at
None, default is fine.

Any Gigabit switch will do the job. Unless you want to start adding PoE devices in the future such as cameras in which case perhaps look at PoE switches.

None, default is fine.

Any Gigabit switch will do the job. Unless you want to start adding PoE devices in the future such as cameras in which case perhaps look at PoE switches.

Looking at the TP Link TL-SG108, seems good enough. Good suggestion thank you, probably not needed though I don't think.

Would it be possible to daisy chain switches too?

For example, a switch in the bedroom (which is above the living room/router so it would be the first stop) which then could have an wireless AP attached.

Then an ethernet cable from this bedroom switch going up into the loft and into my office where it's connected to another switch which again could have another wireless AP attached.

That way I get more connectivity options in each room (for a TV or console for example) as well as good WiFi speed/stability for devices that don't have an ethernet port (phones/tablets). That would cover all outcomes I think

Last edited:
Yes, just don't create a loop including connecting two switches together with 2 cables. Also bear in mind the maximum bandwidth between 1 GbE switches is never going above 1 Gbps.

Yeah true, alright I'm planning to just run one switch per ethernet port, so one switch downstairs by the TV for firestick/tv/console, then 1 in each office, that uses all 4 ports on the router but every room with device is covered then

I just need to measure and estimate what length cable I need for my office, may have to go 30M!

Just get a box of 100m or 200m etc, as there will be wastage and you should run two cables in case of an issue with one once it's all terminated etc.

Back
Top Bottom