Streaming slow on home network, most devices/apps are buffering

Describe how everything is connected, what spec cables are being used, what rate your wired devices are linked at
To keep it simple I only have my PC connected at the moment, I've tried the following:

Router to PC via CAT 8 Ethernet Cable - running at 1GB - Realteck PCie 2.5GBE Family Controller
Router to PC via Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 Adapter - running at ↓292  ↑325, tested on 2.4ghz and 5.0 ghz networks, different channels etc

Drivers are updated, windows is updated, router synced at 55MB

Well at least it came out clean, so this "cat 8" cable doesn't seem to be causing issues.

Just to make sure assuming you're using speedtest.net, have you tried other servers?

Well at least it came out clean, so this "cat 8" cable doesn't seem to be causing issues.

Just to make sure assuming you're using speedtest.net, have you tried other servers?
So I've had the router off for 15 minutes or so.

2 speedtests now show 50MB and 3 show - 31, 27, 17MB. Very weird how they're all almost different..

So I've had the router off for 15 minutes or so.
Stop turning it off - it isn't going to help

2 speedtests now show 50MB and 3 show - 31, 27, 17MB. Very weird how they're all almost different..
Depends what else is going on via your network at the time - even a momentary download via any other device can impact a speedtest (depending on what if any traffic shaping algorithm is in operation)

Stop turning it off - it isn't going to help

Depends what else is going on via your network at the time - even a momentary download via any other device can impact a speedtest (depending on what if any traffic shaping algorithm is in operation)
Yeah I know, but I guess the issue is somewhat resolved. But buffering on some other video streaming is still an issue.

In other news..I can now get FTTC..so I've ordered 900MB..bit of a Christmas present to myself :D

Hopefully you won't get any of the issues others have been experiencing with Zen.
Right so I've read a few things about this, from my understanding, the lines are BT's anyway right? so how much difference can a reseller make on a fibre service. I've been with Zen for a long time and never had issues so I'm not sure. Are these issues area specific? EE, Talktalk and a few others are also available, prices are similiar so it's a case of who's more reliable but is there a way to check this in my area beforehand

Last edited:
Right so I've read a few things about this, from my understanding, the lines are BT's anyway right? so how much difference can a reseller make on a fibre service. I've been with Zen for a long time and never had issues so I'm not sure. Are these issues area specific? EE, Talktalk and a few others are also available, prices are similiar so it's a case of who's more reliable but is there a way to check this in my area beforehand
Zen are slowly moving people from BTW backhaul onto their own. They clearly have issues, as is documented on Thinkbroaband Forums.

It can make all the difference. The fibre from your house back to the handover exchange is owned by BT and looked after by Openreach, but after that it connects to whatever network your ISP want it to. Either this is their own network if they have built a presence out to the exchange you're in, or they use another providers wholesale network to get your data back to them.

Last edited:
Hmm well that's not good. Thank you for that information I had no idea. So what do you suggest? The FTTP won't be activated until 20th Janaury 2023, so plenty of time to cancel.

BT, TalkTalk & EE are available. From having a look it seems BT are more reliable out of those.

Is there any way for me to find out if this line is managed by Zen? I could call and ask I guess!

Actually you know what's interesting, on Zen the package for 900MB states at 450MB minimum speed, but with BT their 900MB states a minimum of 700MB, that's a huge minimum speed difference. So perhaps that is indicating something

It depends what you want exactly, I don't think BT/EE/TT customer services will be the same level what you would expect from Zen historically.

All Zen will tell you is that their own backhaul causes no problems. They haven't publicly acknowledged any issue but are quietly letting people leave their contracts.

I can highly recommend Aquiss, you will however require your own router. You can use the Zen one if they don't ask for it back.

It depends what you want exactly, I don't think BT/EE/TT customer services will be the same level what you would expect from Zen historically.

All Zen will tell you is that their own backhaul causes no problems. They haven't publicly acknowledged any issue but are quietly letting people leave their contracts.

I can highly recommend Aquiss, you will however require your own router. You can use the Zen one if they don't ask for it back.

So I just called and Zen said everything is BT owned/managed. I did actually call twice and speak to two different people just to make sure this information is accurate. They have no current plans for this at my exchange. He did say they have 400 exchanges that they are taking over or whatever the term was.

So for now it's good news since it's not on Zen's backhaul. The performance shouldn't be an issue since it's all BT.

I have looked at Aquiss they do look good, I've just put a request in to see what packages they have for me.

Really good information from everyone in this thread thank you :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom