Stupid weather!

Associate
Agnes did you pop into Europe a few days back? I forgot if it was you going to Belgium/somewhere.

Am just trying to get my arse in gear to do similar, but to Luxembourg.

Oh yes also WEATHER UPDATE: My phone says dry rest of today - after a massive downpour earlier - and dry next few days! That's Reading and Oxford btw.

Soldato
I'm testing multiple brands at the moment, I've got a spreadsheet of variables recorded. I can post here once I've finished.

Think I got a few cans left, so far I finished off my Wurth dry lube (lol... Not designed for this weather), now finished off WD40 wet chain wax and now on Wurth dry wax, which seems to be the best so far! Leaves no residue after rubbing the excess off/down.

I have a few more, and ultimately will be testing a Scottoiler, but will try and blag one for free.

I find it odd that everyone recommends wurth dry lube for the summer. But when it comers to winter everyone has a different opinion. Is there no industry standard!!!! :) Ultimately I'd like to find a lube for winter that isn't going to cost a fortune but also protects the chain. Wurth is a joke for me at the moment.

Bel Ray chain lube :cool:

Cheers.

Soldato
OP
Rained loads today, I'm in Reading.

The forecast is beyond unpredictable! I'm working from 0730 - 2330 today and tomorrow, so either ride is me being glum in my helmet along the M4.

Agnes did you pop into Europe a few days back? I forgot if it was you going to Belgium/somewhere.

Am just trying to get my arse in gear to do similar, but to Luxembourg.

Oh yes also WEATHER UPDATE: My phone says dry rest of today - after a massive downpour earlier - and dry next few days! That's Reading and Oxford btw.

Yarp, that was me, went to Belgium via north France. Stayed in Ghent. I strongly recommend the place if you have a spare night, wonderful and beautiful city.

I went over 2 days, my biggest regret, not actually planning a route, just going where the wind takes me, let me tell you, there are NO scenic routes to be had at the top of France and most of where I went in Belgium is boring to ride. I will go to Ghent again, but along the west coast and accross to keep the distance as short as possible.

I'm looking at taking out a week at the end of February to go to Scotland. Then, a big 2 weeks out in May to go to Italy on the bike.

I will be up for people to join me going to Italy, not Scotland, as I'm taking my mum bless her. I'm from Scotland so all the family is up there, and my mum wants to see the highlands on the bike. Good girl.

Also, chain lube... My chain is pretty much bone dry, 2 days riding, Wurth's 'heavier' chain wax, and it's all but been washed off. No more than 50 miles. Pathetic, will put the can aside... I'm tempted to go back to the WD40 Chain Wax... It needed a good clean down of the excess to stop fling. But it stuck on for almost 1,000 miles on my tiny little trip up to Belgium and the week's riding before that.... INCREDIBLE stuff.

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers Ags. I'm in two minds about how much planning to do. I'm thinking to try and get to Turin at the moment, maybe Monaco first.

Somebody recommended using hostels. Hotels look pretty cheap now though anyway, being winter.

Soldato
I just want to see some light again!

I ride at 7am-745am and 4pm-5pm everyday and it's dark all the time which when coupled with the rain is just the worse.

Rain I'm fine with and even the cold doesn't bother me (Ice does obviously). Just roll on spring for some daylight!

Associate
Double cheers Agnes. I'm going tomorrow! I was going to go straight to Luxembourg but I figured a little less time on the bike and little more time wondering about taking photos might be a nice change.

Soldato
Edit: Just noticed its posted in the Youtube thread but its still relevant lol

As long as it doesn't end up like this

Bet the guy cacked his pants.

Was pretty cold this morning I have to admit. Nothing a pair of thermal leggings, Thermal top and Microfleece couldn't fix :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Double cheers Agnes. I'm going tomorrow! I was going to go straight to Luxembourg but I figured a little less time on the bike and little more time wondering about taking photos might be a nice change.

Let me know what route you take to Lux. I'm planning on going over sometime (girlfriends parents live there so I might let her fly and I'll ride over and meet her). They have some amazing roads there and just over the border in Germany.

Back
Top Bottom