Summer Transfer Thread 2018

Don
Rashford is far from a finished player. Not sure you can critisise because they were already there...if he was as you say - he could’ve quite easily sent them back to the reserves. Haters gonna hate!

True, I guess you could say he's still no where near the finished player now though. I guess playing him out of position for his defensive work rate probably played a part in that ;) And Lingard's 25.

I'll genuinely be interested to see how much Mctominay features this season. Is Mourinho seriously going to bring a player through from the academy or was he just all he had for a few months and the arrival of Fred will mean he barely features again.

Soldato
Rashford is far from a finished player. Not sure you can critisise because they were already there...if he was as you say - he could’ve quite easily sent them back to the reserves. Haters gonna hate!

no one is! Its the fact hes being praised for using prospects when they arent! Rashford is the onky argument for it. Pogba and Lingard are fully established premier league and in Pogbas case, on a world level.

fez

fez

Caporegime
True, I guess you could say he's still no where near the finished player now though. I guess playing him out of position for his defensive work rate probably played a part in that ;) And Lingard's 25.

I'll genuinely be interested to see how much Mctominay features this season. Is Mourinho seriously going to bring a player through from the academy or was he just all he had for a few months and the arrival of Fred will mean he barely features again.

Very little I would imagine. Nothing about McTominay has made me think he will make it as a first team player at United. Periera is a far better player but Mourinho wanted a dull dependable player who would do as he was told and McTominay fitted that better than Periera. Unless we have injury issues he won't get much time this season.

Caporegime
That offer from Barcelona is hilarious, ultimate wind up material.

I'm not even high on Pogba, at least in United's setup but to offer those two plus £45 million is troll worthy.

Blackburn finally signed Armstrong from Newcastle, happy with that :)

Soldato
Pogba and Lingard are fully established premier league and in Pogbas case, on a world level.
Pogba is debatable, certainly not established Premier league before JM came along - but wouldn't argue that he was an established player.
Lingard definitely wasn't and that isn't even debatable. Loan spells and the odd game in the 1st team doesn't make him established at all. If anything this season will prove if he can back up his "break out" season for Utd. Not disputing he has lost a few years from lack of trust etc from former Utd managers but he really isn't an established player at all.

Very little I would imagine. Nothing about McTominay has made me think he will make it as a first team player at United. Periera is a far better player but Mourinho wanted a dull dependable player who would do as he was told and McTominay fitted that better than Periera. Unless we have injury issues he won't get much time this season.

Exactly, Periera is more likely to play more games this season (depending on injuries /suspensions of course) . Periera took his chance in the US this summer (although it could be argued he did pretty well last summer too) and deserves starts at the beginning of the season esp because Matic is recovering from surgery. McTominay is a reasonable squad player , looked decent in a few games last season but also has the bad habit of looking like a rabbit in headlights far too often.

Don
Pogba is debatable, certainly not established Premier league before JM came along - but wouldn't argue that he was an established player.
Lingard definitely wasn't and that isn't even debatable. Loan spells and the odd game in the 1st team doesn't make him established at all. If anything this season will prove if he can back up his "break out" season for Utd. Not disputing he has lost a few years from lack of trust etc from former Utd managers but he really isn't an established player at all.
Lingard was 23 years old and made 40 appearances the season before Mourinho arrived. He was an established member of Utd's first team squad.
I have a feeling we're getting one more player in just a hunch

Hope your hunch is accurate but I can't see it other than possibly a back-up keeper if Karius and Mignolet leave. It looks like the Fekir deal is completely dead and I get the feeling that Pulisic is the alternative to Fekir but the club don't fancy spending £60m+ on him at this stage. In 12 months time, with another years experience/developement under his belt and just a year left on his contract, that deal makes a lot more sense.

Soldato
Lingard was 23 years old and made 40 appearances the season before Mourinho arrived. He was an established member of Utd's first team squad.
2 minutes here and there and scoring the occasional goal will get appearances that tally up at the end of the season - doesn't make him established at all.

Last seasons repeated performances made him established, which he needs to back up this season.

edit - putting it another way , he scored as many goals last season as he did in the previous two, if that's down to natural progression or JM is open to debate, but JM has unquestionably improved him

Soldato
Poggers is as good as gone imo, even if he doesn’t leave this summer :( no smoke without fire and he’s clearly asked his agent to get him out.

Properly gutted.

Probably will be gone in Winter / next summer - but less Utd have to do with that slimey **** the better (and yes I know Lukaku shares the same agent) , riola is just after another (huge) payday

Don
2 minutes here and there and scoring the occasional goal will get appearances that tally up at the end of the season - doesn't make him established at all.

Last seasons repeated performances made him established, which he needs to back up this season.
He didn't play just 2 minutes here and there though, did he Frank? He started 19 league games that season compared to 20 last season. He played practically the same amount of minutes the season before Mourinho arrived as he did last season.
Poggers is as good as gone imo, even if he doesn’t leave this summer :( no smoke without fire and he’s clearly asked his agent to get him out.

Properly gutted.
I think it's far from certain that he's asked to leave - it could simply be a ploy to get him a new bumper contract on similar money to Sanchez. But even if he has asked to leave, he's not leaving this summer and can you really see Mourinho still at Utd in 12 months?

Soldato

Hope your hunch is accurate but I can't see it other than possibly a back-up keeper if Karius and Mignolet leave. It looks like the Fekir deal is completely dead and I get the feeling that Pulisic is the alternative to Fekir but the club don't fancy spending £60m+ on him at this stage. In 12 months time, with another years experience/developement under his belt and just a year left on his contract, that deal makes a lot more sense.
The fekir situation is bizzare imo there has to be more to it but we will never know.

Klopp hasn't out right denied more Incomibgs either he has been more coy around the subject imo.

I could be wrong and we go in with what we have which is still an improvement anyway :)

Don
The fekir situation is bizzare imo there has to be more to it but we will never know.

Klopp hasn't out right denied more Incomibgs either he has been more coy around the subject imo.

I could be wrong and we go in with what we have which is still an improvement anyway :)
What's bizarre about it? We wanted him but weren't willing to complete a deal which would have meant committing to spending £70-80m (including wages etc) on a player that has a dodgy knee. Clearly, as yet at least, no middle ground has been found between how much we're willing to committ to now we know the situation and how much Lyon want for him. It's possible that there's no middle ground at all and his knee is that bad that we're not willing to risk anything.

As for Klopp, every transfer window he says the same thing right up until deadline day - "we're always looking and working". I was listening to one of the TAW podcasts yesterday and as one of the guys said on there, what Klopp's saying is probably true but the issue is we're very specific about which players we want. If Pulisic suddenly become available at £40m (for example) then yea, we'll probably make a move for him but if those very specific players don't become available then I can't see us signing anybody. Klopp isn't sitting there working his way through a list of wingers until he finds one that's for sale.

Soldato
What's bizarre about it? We wanted him but weren't willing to complete a deal which would have meant committing to spending £70-80m (including wages etc) on a player that has a dodgy knee. Clearly, as yet at least, no middle ground has been found between how much we're willing to committ to now we know the situation and how much Lyon want for him. It's possible that there's no middle ground at all and his knee is that bad that we're not willing to risk anything.

As for Klopp, every transfer window he says the same thing right up until deadline day - "we're always looking and working". I was listening to one of the TAW podcasts yesterday and as one of the guys said on there, what Klopp's saying is probably true but the issue is we're very specific about which players we want. If Pulisic suddenly become available at £40m (for example) then yea, we'll probably make a move for him but if those very specific players don't become available then I can't see us signing anybody. Klopp isn't sitting there working his way through a list of wingers until he finds one that's for sale.
I don't buy it was anything to do with the knee, imo you wouldn't do media work etc if you request a second check due to a concern from a first check.

Anyway fekir won't happen imo, Pulisic would fit right in but a move too soon for him I feel.

Don
What other possible reason is there for the club doing all that and then pulling out of the deal? The media stuff was carried out while they waited for the results of the medical because he had to rejoin the French squad.

Man of Honour
I'm reading rumours of Spurs interest in Lyon MF Tanguy Ndombele. That wouldn't be a bad move if this is true.

My only hope is that if toxic Mourinho gets the boot or leaves he might stick around to see if he’ll be used properly under a better manager.

I just can't stand the bloke. Miserable **** that thinks the world owes him.

Back
Top Bottom