Summer Transfer Thread 2018

Soldato
Ah well, least it's time for the Premier League to start up again though, despite it being incredibly likely that we'll being really boring to watch again. I hope there's a good amount of entertaining matches to be had with other teams :)

Don
Looks like Klavan is close to joining Cagliari for around £2m. On one hand, given the injuries we currently have at CB and how injury prone Lovren, Matip and to an extent Gomez have been over the last few seasons, it's a surprise that we're letting him go. On the other hand though Klavan's fitness has been just as questionable as the others and with Clyne available this season Gomez can now be seen primarily as a CB which pushes Klavan down to 5th choice.

Don
Klavan's move is now official.
We're not going to have a pair of Centre Backs left at this rate, god help us if VVD gets injured this season.
Tbf Klavan is (or at least was) currently injured anyway so his sale doesn't effect things right now. Matip's now back and given that we're allowing Klavan to leave you have to think that Lovren can't be that far away either. As I said earlier though, Matip and Lovren pick up a lot of small injuries - one serious injury to VVD or Gomez could leave us short.

Don
Karius is off to Besiktas on a 2 year loan. £2.25m loan fee + an obligation to buy him for £7.25m if he plays a certain number of games and they qualify for Europe. It's probably the best outcome for all concerned - he needed to restart his career somewhere far away and the possibility of more than doubling what we paid for somebody that's probably worth next to nothing right now is good business. It does leave our back-up keeper situation looking a bit interesting though. All the talk from the end of last season was that Mignolet didn't want to stay as number 2 and he has less hope of regaining his number 1 spot now we've signed Alisson, and equally Klopp's shown that he likes to have 2 senior back-up keepers. Is Mignolet going to be forced to stay as number 2 or will we end up with no senior cover for Alisson?

Don
Loris' move's now official. Supposedly he needs to play 50% of their games over the next two seasons and for them to have qualified for Europe for the move to become permanent.

Sounds like Mignolet is staying put now which in my opinion is the best scenario for us. I know he gets a lot of hate from our fans but he's far from a bad keeper - not the most suitable to how we play but he's a steady keeper which is all you want from a number 2.

One way or another Markovic is still likely to leave but who knows what's happening with Origi now. The most recent reports are that we now will accept a loan but only on the basis that it becomes permanent in a years time and that if a suitable offer isn't made then he'll stay and Solanke will be allowed to leave on loan instead.

Caporegime
Loris' move's now official. Supposedly he needs to play 50% of their games over the next two seasons and for them to have qualified for Europe for the move to become permanent.

Sounds like Mignolet is staying put now which in my opinion is the best scenario for us. I know he gets a lot of hate from our fans but he's far from a bad keeper - not the most suitable to how we play but he's a steady keeper which is all you want from a number 2.

One way or another Markovic is still likely to leave but who knows what's happening with Origi now. The most recent reports are that we now will accept a loan but only on the basis that it becomes permanent in a years time and that if a suitable offer isn't made then he'll stay and Solanke will be allowed to leave on loan instead.
Read recently that Origi has impressed Klopp in training with his attitude and may be offered a chance in Cup games, although he's still behind Shaqiri and Sturridge.

Last edited:
Don
Yea, I'd take some of this stuff with a pinch of salt for the time being. The club won't want to appear desperate when negotiating.

Don
What's interesting to see is that fees have actually deflated in the past 12 months and it's going to be interesting to see whether that continues moving forwards.

In the previous 2 seasons you had Utd, City and PSG alone pumping in around £1bn net into the market, this summer that's dropped down not much more than £150m. With FFP reining PSG in and City and Utd seemingly not being willing to sustain the same levels of spending as before and of course Chelsea aren't spending like they once were, it's difficult to see who's going to kick start the market moving forwards. I suppose it's always possible that Real could go big into the market next summer but their finances are a bit of a mystery and with no election due for another 3 years, I wouldn't bet on it.

Don
No Virgil ? Not convinced that list is too accurate
Do you undestand how this works Frank? Fees are adjusted for inflation to today's prices. Fees in the past 12 months have actually deflated because spending has actually decreased in that time so in VVD's case, his fee is actually less than what was paid at the time - according to these calculations, it's even less than Ferdinand's move to Leeds and Stam's transfer to Utd.

Soldato
Do you undestand how this works Frank? Fees are adjusted for inflation to today's prices. Fees in the past 12 months have actually deflated because spending has actually decreased in that time so in VVD's case, his fee is actually less than what was paid at the time - according to these calculations, it's even less than Ferdinand's move to Leeds and Stam's transfer to Utd.

You should really try and not sound so patronising on occasion - might be something new for you to try and impress people with.

Yes I know how the list works , I highly doubt that the £75m Virgil is reported to have cost has dropped in value by over £12m (in 10 months) to drop him under Ravanelli on the equivalent of £62.8m @ position 50

Don
You should really try and not sound so patronising on occasion - might be something new for you to try and impress people with.

Yes I know how the list works , I highly doubt that the £75m Virgil is reported to have cost has dropped in value by over £12m (in 10 months) to drop him under Ravanelli on the equivalent of £62.8m @ position 50
I honestly wasn't intending to sound patronising. I couldn't understand you post - I didn't know whether you didn't understard the theory or if you were suggesting there was a mistake in the calculations.

So if you understand how it works, why are you doubting the figures? Do you think there is a mistake with their calculations?

First of all it appears as if they're only using the guaranteed part of the transfer fee so they've only listed VVD at £69m actual fee and as I mentioned above, transfer spending clearly slowed down this summer compared to the previous season's transfers. Fees have, on the whole, deflated and as such VVD's fee in today's money has dropped. And using your Ravanelli example, at the rate at which transfer fees have risen between the time of his transfer and now, in today's money his fee would have been that.

fez

fez

Caporegime
That list is complete BS lets be honest. When United bought Ferdinand people thought "thats quite a lot of money", not "**** me thats ridiculous" which is what they would think if we paid £120m for any defender in the world currently.

Same for Rooney.

The average transfer fee increase is not a useful metric for deciding how much a player would cost now vs 20 years ago. Now there is a massive amount of money in the league and every club can spend a lot of money each season. In the past only a few could do that. When United were buying Ferdinand for £30m the low - mid table sides were throwing peanuts around. That gives a huge difference in average spending that doesn't reflect the fact that the upper amount being spent on Marquee players hasn't got up as much as the average.

Don
That list is complete BS lets be honest. When United bought Ferdinand people thought "thats quite a lot of money", not "**** me thats ridiculous" which is what they would think if we paid £120m for any defender in the world currently.

Same for Rooney.

The average transfer fee increase is not a useful metric for deciding how much a player would cost now vs 20 years ago. Now there is a massive amount of money in the league and every club can spend a lot of money each season. In the past only a few could do that. When United were buying Ferdinand for £30m the low - mid table sides were throwing peanuts around. That gives a huge difference in average spending that doesn't reflect the fact that the upper amount being spent on Marquee players hasn't got up as much as the average.
Can you explain why it's BS because just saying so doesn't make it so.

It never ceases to amaze me how some people don't believe inflation applies to football. Why were mid table sides throwing peanuts around? Because there was considerably less money in the game and considerably less money being circulated in transfer fees which meant fees were lower, so when somebody did spend £29m (for example) it was a lot more than today.

Why was Ferdinand's fee just "quite a lot of money" and not "**** me that's ridiculous"? Again, is it just because you say so? For the record, it broke the british record transfer fee which to do that today would at the very least take upwards of £90m to do. Even if you simply took Ferdinand's fee as a proportion of Utd's revenue, the fee today would still be £90m+.

This isn't the only study either, there are other people, using different calculations and these all produce similar end results. Whichever way you want to look at it, Ferdinand wasn't just "quite a lot".

Back
Top Bottom